Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blinking Semaphores
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Blinking Semaphores Reply with quote

there is a black split in the new Hot VW's that has blinking semaphores. the article says it is wired "dual circuit". what are they talking about and how can i wire mine up the same?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen people talking about "blinking semaphores" before, i think i have even seen people selling old Ghia headlight relays as semaphore blinker boxes ... if you blink a regular semaphore you are just going to beat it to death, almost as good a way to kill it as to run it on 12V for 15 years or whatever, the guy in Hot VWs must have run an extra wire just to the light bulb in there and is blinking them that way, I dont think you can use a regular american style heat element blinker with such a small wattage bulb, must be a transistorized style blinker, hard to find in 6V but there are such things, there is not a lot of room to be adding extra wire connectors around a semaphore mount either, and remember that involves fishing extra wires thru the headliner area while you are at it, not fun on a finished car, all this to maybe " impress your buddys" ? I know most of the time when i use the semaphores on my cars most of the public is blissfully unaware of them, and even more so at night, maybe blinking the bulbs IS a good idea, that and a rear mounted air horn ...
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your good at electrics on a car its easy to do without that much work. I did a car that had hearts, I made the heart lights and semaphores blink.It looked pretty trick at night.
Or find some of these things.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I've seen the "blinkwinker" before. don't know where to get them. Shocked

how do you wire it so the arms aren't flapping everytime the bulb blinks?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:
yes I've seen the "blinkwinker" before. don't know where to get them. Shocked

how do you wire it so the arms aren't flapping everytime the bulb blinks?

In short you need to run two wires to your semaphores, one for power and one just for the light bulb, Wire the semaphore like normal take the wire from your bulb and run it to a blinker switch.
CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the guys from restowagenuk.com has built a circuit to make the rear taillights and sempahores flash when you indicate. It works really well. This is the link to the thread he posted! Hope this helps!

http://restowagenuk.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5578

Cheers
Steve
standard-brezel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Blinking Semaphores Reply with quote

I have a SWF accessoire from the ´50ties. It was for 2 x 15Watt bulbs/6Volts. It ist for flashing the brakelights, but I think if you want to flash only the semaphores, it will work also. You have to put another wire to the semaphore, because you need one for the bulb and one for magnetic mechanism of the sem. maybe the wiring diagramm will helps you. I will make a scan of it and come back later. In Germany you can buy a blackbox, which will fit to 6V or 12V , and will do everything you want, flashing brakelight AND semaphores also. http://www.trend-cologne.de/wbb/. sorry , this site is german....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. i didn't realize the wiring would be so complicated. are there going to be any differences between wich switch i use? i have a set of smooth semaphores, but haven't picked up a switch yet. i want a red light column mount switch (SWF?). my car is 12 volt also.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: