Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Been thinking about selling my girl ? (vanagon)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Been thinking about selling my girl ? (vanagon) Reply with quote

I love my Vanagon, I want to keep my Vanagon. But reality is very poor gas mileage, marginal AC for the kiddies and a future of more repairs (20 years old). I am at a loss. Why? Because I have created the Vanagon I allways wanted, currently everything works, she is paid for,she still has gobs of life left in the drivetrain and many more camping trips to take.

However when we are camping seems to be the only time she is justified or loved by my family. Rolling Eyes The rest of the year it's "lets take mommy's car" or "what are you doing to the Van now?" So 90% of the time it is just me driving a vehicle that carries seven comfortably. I know that you guys will probly say "no way man!" but I am just having those "maybe I should get a newr vehicle" syndromes.

If so it will probly be this little jem:

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/12/26/toyota-2007-fj-cruiser-extravaganza/

I know, it isn't even a VW, I would still have two others. What is the input guys?
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Been thinking about selling my girl ? (vanagon) Reply with quote

vwjedi wrote:
I love my Vanagon, I want to keep my Vanagon. But reality is very poor gas mileage, marginal AC for the kiddies and a future of more repairs (20 years old). I am at a loss. Why? Because I have created the Vanagon I allways wanted, currently everything works, she is paid for,she still has gobs of life left in the drivetrain and many more camping trips to take.

However when we are camping seems to be the only time she is justified or loved by my family. Rolling Eyes The rest of the year it's "lets take mommy's car" or "what are you doing to the Van now?" So 90% of the time it is just me driving a vehicle that carries seven comfortably. I know that you guys will probly say "no way man!" but I am just having those "maybe I should get a newr vehicle" syndromes.

If so it will probly be this little jem:

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/12/26/toyota-2007-fj-cruiser-extravaganza/

I know, it isn't even a VW, I would still have two others. What is the input guys?

Every year I go through the same "syndrome" as you are. I ask myself do I really need this since I have 4 other cars (2 running modern and two old VWs wanting work done on them). I could use the money to get my older VWs on the road and blah blah blah. And when I do it, I kick myself in the butt for doing so.

I used to own two diesel Westys, about one year apart. 1st one I sold as we needed the money. 2nd one we sold again, as we needed the money. We probably could have got by but I jumped the gun and sold two cool diesel Westys. Then things got better for money and I really went balls nuts this last time and purchased a Syncro Westy. Laughing In the time I have owned it, in the want for a Shop at home to work on my VWs, I placed an add for it for just two days, then came to my senses, and said, "what the hell am I doing. I just got this sucka and Syncros are hard to come by. So, I am now in the right state of mind and toned down my shop size and getting a shop, just a one to two car size, and keeping the Syncro, for good this time. Surprised

So, my answer to you, is wait and get in the right state of mind, keep the Vanagon, save for the FJ (Slick SUV), and then you will have both one day and get to keep your cool Vanagon.

tj

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it, I get the same shit but my kids love to ride in the"star wars republic gunship"
You cannot replace such a ride___ever.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids love the Westy. They don't say let's take mommy's car (2002 Jetta TDI.) Sometimes they do want to ride my red Beetle TDI, though. They have not caught on to the coolness of my 1959 Mercedes 190SL as I am usually just working on it (for the last 24 years, but it does not have 60 miles on it now.)

Once a Vanagon is all sorted out and has all the deferred maintainance reversed, they are pretty solid. They would have never made it this long if they were not pretty soilid. Sure you need to keep up on them. Sure they need service. But, they are cheap to keep.

Think about it. A paid for van or a rice rocket with payments that is depreciating. Your choice.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However when we are camping seems to be the only time she is justified or loved by my family. The rest of the year it's "lets take mommy's car" or "what are you doing to the Van now?"

I say, get rid of the family Very Happy cute Little kids bring big money on the black market.........so I have been told Twisted Evil

That way you could afford to keep it, and buy the fj and have money left over for replacement taillights (WTF were they thinking putting those stick out things on there)

BTW You still need me to come up and baby sit??? Wink
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, fortunatly money isn't really the issue right now, as stated it is paid for, obviously. I could afford the FJ, but a fat dwn pmnt would be nice. Space is the issue, I have a two car garage in my new house in a PUD (planned unit development) you know the staunchy, yuppie neighborhood with all the "shit can't be parked on the street" rules and regulations.

That and 4 vehicles, maintanace/insurance/registeration yada, yada,. It just isn't making sence. Hell, I can't even keep my utility/motorcycle trailer because it won't fit in the garage either. Rolling Eyes

Our diesel Jetta is great, nice, reliable and sips fuel. The '63 Beetle is a classic restoration project that isn't finished yet and not worth shit as of now. That and I really want to keep it. That leaves my beloved 'Noggin, big, burly, gas guzzeling, slow ass, hot ass, beast. I love it, it is like no other vehicle, there will never be anything like it again on the road.

Amishman, can I keep it on your farm?
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
However when we are camping seems to be the only time she is justified or loved by my family. The rest of the year it's "lets take mommy's car" or "what are you doing to the Van now?"

I say, get rid of the family Very Happy cute Little kids bring big money on the black market.........so I have been told Twisted Evil

That way you could afford to keep it, and buy the fj and have money left over for replacement taillights (WTF were they thinking putting those stick out things on there)

BTW You still need me to come up and baby sit??? Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing I can allways rely on you to give me the "good advice" Markus. Think I could still go on the Full Moon Bus Club campouts with an FJ and air mattress in the back?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we lived in our town house, I ended up renting an RV parking right behind my garage door opening. I kept the extra cars right there where I could see them. Put covers on and instantly they became acceptable. Your van could sleep there when needed.

I do not drive our van a lot. At 16-18 mpg it is extra sucky compared to the TDIs. But, wtf? I take it with the kids and don't go far. So it is OK.

Someone coined the phrase of "tent on wheels" in referance to the Vanagon. I consider it an RV. RVs get shitty milage. So what? It is not meant as a daily driver, although a Vanagon can be. I hate the crappy gas milage, but for now, I live with it.

It is all compromise. You need to find your level of pain.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can allways rely on you to give me the "good advice" Markus. Think I could still go on the Full Moon Bus Club campouts with an FJ and air mattress in the back?

Glad I could help Very Happy you know at least us FL regulars are more about having fun, blending drinks, and busting on Carl more than anything else, Having the VW helps though Very Happy For punishment for selling the noggin' we may force you to shuttle us up upriver at Ginnie Springs though!!!

And oh yea, you'll need one of these for the roof: http://www.autohomeus.com/purchase/index.php[/quote]
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, maybe you should get out of the PUD. That way you can have your cake and eat it too. Cool
Kev
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markus- That "overand" model looked saweet. Makes the decision a little more do-able.

Hwy1westy- You don't sound like a jerk at all, I never thought I would be in such a place, however it is just a stepping stone. Put the equity from current home into new one, 25% increase in equity per year so far, ( no CD or IRA can match that) just putting it into even more desirable neighborhood for a while. So yeah, it is short term investment so I can eventually get the acerage with a shop that will house my stable of VWs one day. Wink

Question is now, I once said I wouldn't sell my Van for less than 10K with all the improvments/upgrades and shape it is in. But what is the real world $$$ I could get for it ya know?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two weeks back, some field work brought me to the East Coast of Canada for a few days of roadtripping. The nearest Vanagon rental place was in Vermont, and charges 700+ per week, so I rented an SUV at a local airport. You guessed it, I got one of these bubbly FJ monsters. Sweet. After a couple hours of driving I was hooked on the cruise control, AC, and highway speeds. But after a cramped sleepless first night I was wishing I had sprung for the Westy. I ended up staying in cheap motels. If you've already got another reliable vehicle, why not use it and keep your Vanagon mint and ready for adventure?

Seats 7, Comfortably Sleeps 4, Repairs + Bad Mileage + Slight Appreciation vs.
Seats 5, Realistically Sleeps 0, Payments + Equally Bad Mileage + Massive Depreciation.

From the pictures I've seen, your van looks like a keeper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a bad time to sell your house anyways as it is a buyers marker for sure.
Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Kev Smile

P.S. Marcus, that link is way cool. Never seen one of those setups before.
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the mileage really bugs you, a td conversion will set you back a lot less then an FJ I'm sure! You could probably even sell your current engine when you're done the conversion to recoup some of the cost.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm not the only one drooling over the new Cruiser. Rolling Eyes

I'm not about to part with my Westy...But damn those things are freaking cool. And I LOVE the blue Cool
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwjedi wrote:

Amishman, can I keep it on your farm?

Sure, if I can use it for free with no risks if something happens to it. Laughing

tj

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
aviatorjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave my primo '90 Vanagon to my son...
(Had that need-a-new-car syndrome)
...bought a 2004 Honda Pilot.
Wheee!!!

Took it camping a few times...
Made a rack for my hang glider...
Surf trip to Baja...

Sold it and bought my current '89 Wolfsburg Edition!!
...didn't lose a dime!!! ...those things are in demand.

Never looked back!!
Life is good!!!
VANAGON

aviatorjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it all depends on what you want.

I doubt that Toyota is going get much better mileage.
And I'm certain that you'll be dissapointed the first time you load it up for a trip.

Your bus looks like it would sell for a very good price.
Good luck with your decision.

wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwjedi wrote:

Question is now, I once said I wouldn't sell my Van for less than 10K with all the improvments/upgrades and shape it is in. But what is the real world $$$ I could get for it ya know?

Honestly, since your van isn't a camper, getting top dollar for it will be a challenge. I'd be surprised if you could get 10K for it. I would assume close to 7-8K. That is such a pimp van, it would be a shame to let it go.

Regarding the mileage (which this thread isn't really about), my thought has always been that 20mpg is pretty damn good for what my westy is. I think that is impressive mileage for a house. That said, my wife and i bought a '98 TDI that will be the basis of a conversion in a few years. A 30 mpg house will be about the perfect vehicle.

-Damon
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's do the math:
Vanagon "basic" costs, on an annual basis;
assuming gas is $2.50/ gallon
assuming your van gets 20 mpg.
assuming you drive 1000 miles per month.

= Your fuel cost is $125/ month. $1500.00/yr.

No car payment.

Oil change every three months= $30. $120/yr.

Lube, coolant flush, other miscellaneous service issues, not including repairs= $300.00

Depreciation- $0

Total annual cost: $1920.00

New Toyota FJ:

According to EPA figures, the two wheel drive model's mileage specs out at 18mpg city and 22 mpg hwy... so let's take the average of 20 mpg.

Fuel cost: $1500/ yr.
Monthly payment: $461/mo (@ 8% over 48 months, with $4382 down, on $21910 base price plus tax and freight.) = $5532/ yr.

Insurance costs- unknown, but higher since you will want full coverage on the shiny new FJ, right?

Service costs- another unknown, but just for giggles, let's assume that the dealer will not charge you for regular service.

Depreciation: (assuming 20% per year) $4000.00

Total Annual FJ cost: $9532 /yr.

Bottom line: The new Toyota will cost you $7612 per year MORE to own than your vanagon.

Think about what you could do if you invested just ONE year's "cost of ownership" difference in your vanagon:
Suby conversion, or
Go Westy engine, or
recaros and an interior refurb...in leather.

Only you have to live with the rationalizations.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: