Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How did YOU get into Vanagons?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: How did YOU get into Vanagons? Reply with quote

Since I was old enough to have memories, I remember being into the "VW Bus", which was something my mom told me about, probably at three years old. At that point, I didn't really know what a "VW Bus" was, and I think I remember guessing that it was a school-bus like thing with a Beetle front. (Cut me some slack, I was three!) I saw one later, and liked the look. I also had a friend in kindergarten who's parents owned (I believe) an early aircooled(I assume) orange/white Vanagon with rear facing seats, complete with a front-facing mirror. That rig was neat, and I was hooked. There was this one thing I used to do when I lived at a different house around 6 or 7, where I would stand out by the road and take pictures of "cool cars" passing by, and many of them were VW buses and Vanagons, when I discovered the pictures in a container a few months ago. Naturally, being a car guy, I found all sorts of automotive interests outside the Buses, but a Vanagon winds up being my first car after all.

Explain your life of getting into Vanagons...
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One leg at a time.

No, seriously, my Dad worked for VW for years. We traveled all over in his orange '74 Westfalia. When I turned 16, I got a job working at the same dealership as my dad. I drove the courtesy shuttle/parts getter which just happened to be a brand new yellow and tan diesel Vanagon. I was hooked.

It still baffles me how a 16 year old, testosterone filled kid could get hooked on what was quite possibly the slowest vehicle in production at the time.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]

Last edited by Christopher Schimke on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:15 am; edited 3 times in total
aviatorjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was 11, my Mother bought a 1970 VW Bus!!
We picked it up and drove around Santa Cruz/Aptos honking the horn at everyone!

We did everything in that van...
From driving around with the slider open, delivering papers,
To camping all up and down California (even to Baja),
countless surf and ski trips,
and because this is a "family" forum...
...I'll leave a few things out!!

I have such vivid and fond memories in and around that Bus!!
California plate 041 BYC
...of all the cars, the only plate I'll remember forever!?
We never really named her... it was just "The Bus"

Years later, I was sitting in my own '72 Bus at the La Selva Beach parking lot in 1980...
I looked over and saw an "tan over orange" Vanagon...
I thought to myself...
"My God, the future has arrived!!!"

I've owned...
'72 Bus
'80 Vanagon
'63 Panel Wagen
'90 Vanagon
and now my present '89 WE

Last edited by aviatorjames on Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead tour in a bay westy bus. I had Vanagon envy. Very bad.........verrrrry.............verrrrry bad.
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the late 80's I had a 71' Westy that I bought to go to Dead shows Smile I sold it several years later when I started to have to have a long commute to work and the VW became impractical. I've missed that bus ever since. Years ago I started to get "Vanagon Westy Fever" and started researching everything I could about the vanagon. I lived out of the country and didn’t own a car for almost 8 years after getting the fever. When I finally "settled down" the fever started to rise again but alas my money situation precluded ownership. Since I already was a pretty proficient mechanic and my wife had a 92 Jetta (that has since been replaced with a 99 subie outback) that I became quite proficient wrenching on I figured owning a vangon could actually work out since I could do most of any work on one myself. Finally this year the stars aligned and brought the trip ship to us, the dream finally came true. I got a good deal on it due some deferred maintenance issues. I had been collecting articles on the vanagon and its common problems for years and lurked on this site and others for at least the last 5 years reading all I could. It has all paid off. I spent several months getting the van up to speed and now he's running and looking good. I love my 87 westy and love working on it, plan on owning it a LONG time!
Already warned my wife that when this engine goes I'm dropping in a subie Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cat and Walter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we bought our first new westy in 1972, did our honeymoon in the thing, 4 months and 3 countries. Funny I remember the plate on that one and no other car since, freak'n weird. Had several since and own one now. Back to that FOOL thing!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seabright_sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic.

Bought my first westy, '69 for $400 in 1993 and went to... you guessed it dead shows. Our first daughter was born, the dead died and we still took it on a couple of epic trips to Wyoming. On the last trip, We got married in WY (grand teton) went to CO for phish shows... van had no second gear... hobble to Vegas to see the new inlaws... van has no 2nd or reverse... Hooble back to santa Cruz..... We made it on three cylanders (litterally!) , no 2nd or reverse! Sell the van for 500 to a man who plans on restoring it.

Year later, after taking a road trip in an 86 subaru wagon, we bought a very clean green 76 Westy. Used her only for trips. Wyoming every summer, Joshua tree every winter, week end trips here and there for 7 years! No troubles! Great van! We took our last a major raod trip up to Olympia WA, all the way to Nashville TN. Six weeks later back over the Sierra over Highway 4 home to Santa Cruz... no troubles.

Along came the new baby, our van was still truckin, but we were ready for a step up and had so many fond memories in the 76 that we wanted to end on a high note.... so we sold her and went for a.....

New(er) westy... Now we have a very clean 85 with a 2.1. Many bugs worked out and mucho $$$ later...she's a sweet raod trippen vehicle. We've have 3 big summer down in "the White Lightning" and many more to go.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: My Own Trip to Westyhood... Reply with quote

Began a LONG time ago... I can remember as a very little boy playing in the most wonderful playhouse I'd ever seen, it belonged to the son of a neighbor, Mark McKinney. It had interesting cabinets, a treehouse, all sorts of interesting knobs and levers, and, the year being '69 or '70, was most likely a Splitty Westy. I've never forgotten that van--nearly bought an air-cooled before I settled on a Vanagon Westy.

Then, in Jr. High, for a friend's birthday party, all we guests piled into another Westy, a Bay Window. There were at least six or seven of us, we were all comfortable, I loved the trip, and we all went and saw 'The Frisco Kid' in the theaters--so that must have been 1979.

Then, one day at the Denver Auto Show, I went with my father, he spent a lot of time looking at a beautiful Euro-Van Westy, and HE told me he'd always wanted one for travel and just because they were so intelligently designed. We even went to our local VW dealership and looked there, I remember, after buying Winston, how strange it felt to be walking through the door as a VW owner at last.

At any rate, my mother liked the VW's too, but HAD to have a bathroom, and VW at the time didn't offer one. They ended up with a Tiger conversion of a Chevy Astro, not a bad van, but not as well laid-out as a Westy, more of a gas guzzler, and less easy to drive. We sold it after my father's sudden death, the memories were painful.

Well, my summer job had me camping in tents in bear-infested hills on uneven ground, and quite often in pouring rain and howling winds. My old interest in a Westy began to grow--you might say it was well-watered. I also haven't seen the central part of the country, and I'd like to visit it in comfort. I also have a problem sleeping in strange beds.

As I got a little bit of money together, I started watching E-Bay and things only got worse. Looking back, I really dodged some horrifying vans! Finally, there was one for a very good price on Craig's List up in Boulder, and a gearhead friend of mine who's got a dose of the bug himself agreed to come up and look the van over with me.

When I saw Winston, he looked A LOT worse than he does now--stickers everywhere, no rear bumper, a 'Blair Witch Project' man on his front bulkhead, and filthy... everything. But... he drove well. I looked under him and saw a great deal of clearance, which I knew was vital for taking a van like that off road. And I bought him. Nick wouldn't dicker on the price, but I should have made him throw in his Bentley, oh, well, that's how you learn.

And the rest, they say, is history. Of course, I'm deeper in the addiction than I ever was, but now I've got new and recent good reasons to be there. Winston is a snug and comfortable little home on wheels that's fun to drive and easy to work on. I don't want too much more.

Best!

Last edited by msinabottle on Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad got us started. In the early 50's my German dad came into the USA as a Porsche race mechanic. We always had German cars. We moved to California where he was the service manager for Continental Motors which sold and serviced all European cars. Later we opened up our own shop called German Car Repair, one of the first speciality companies servicing only German cars. All the time we had German cars. Lots of them. You name it. We usually either got brand new ones or dead ones my dad fixed. We also had a restaurant in the local mountains. My dad would regularly drive a new VW bus up the mountain over the weekend and put a fresh engine in during the week because he drove them to death up there. We eventually settled on the repair of pre 1968 only Mercedes. Neat niche. I love my old Mercedes. But own several VWs as everyday cars.

Now cylce forward to a few years ago. I have my own family now. We need something bigger. Dad is a VW nut, so mommy agrees we get a VW. A neat one the family can do things in. We go to our fav VW stealer. Dad (I) balk at $40K for a Eurotrash van. All friends say to avoid the Eurovan. Ok, now what? Vanagon. OK, dad gets smart on Vanagons, mostly as a lurker on TheSamba. I have several inpsected. All crap! So I decide that all Vanagons for sale must have something wrong with them, otherwise a sane person would not sell it. The nut cases I avoid on general principles. Then one Friday at lunch time I spot a low cost Westy for sale. We strike a deal and on Saturday the whole family is on the way to Lost Wages to go and look. We offically begin our family adventure with Vanagons by trading a perfectly good well maintained Jetta for a POS beat up 85 Westy. It was stolen from the PO in San Francisco. No inspections this time, damn the torpedos! It runs, so what do I care? They ALL need work. It blows a hose in that rathole they call North Las Vegas. We end up U-Hauling our new toy home. See befpre and after pix at:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=226052

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
bheck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always liked camping and car shopping. I bought a 77 westy in 1985 and my family loved it. It was yellow and we called it the bye bye bus. I paid $2500.00 for it. The only problem was that it didn't have heat. After 2 years and 7000 miles I decided that is was not a practical 2nd vehicle for Wisconsin winters so I sold it. My 8 year old daughter cried for a week.

Last summer my pregnant 26 year old daughter and I started talking about how much she missed the old 77 we had. I am now in a much better financial position than I was 20 years ago and could afford an extra vehicle. So I spent a couple of months looking.

On July 24, 2005 my daughter's baby was stillborn. The cord was wrapped around our little girl and got pinched. I decided to buy a 84 westy camper that day to help cheer her (and all of us) up. It has been a great distraction over the past year. While it has over 300,000 miles on it, it runs well and I have had no major repairs this past year. I have put on 3500 miles and camped over 20 nights in it. The body it quite solid, but has a very ugly paint job. My wife wants me to paint it and she usually gets what she wants. We will probalby have that done this winter.

My daughter is going to have another little girl tomorrow. She is being induced and if that doesn't work they will try a c-section. We are praying very hard that all goes well. I want my granddaughter to love westies as much as her mother does. This vehicle is more than just transportation to us. It symbolizes pulling together as a family at a time of adversity and moving on inspite of our troubles. It has been great therapy for all of us.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 1960's we played " Adam 12" in my neighbors black '60 Panel Bus,we were always getting chased by the "Fuzz" Cool
After a string of Muscle cars, I bought a '59 Singlecab in 1980,I've had Buses/VW Trucks ever since.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Family likes camping, and when we saw the VW camping exhibit at Henry Ford museum last summer I was hooked. Came home, checked the newspapers, and found the 82 Westy that I currently own but have yet to actually use - hopefully that will change in a few weeks Very Happy

Been a long process getting things going...
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was the youngest of four siblings. When I was 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 yrs old, my father went to Germany on a teaching exchange program and took the family along. My folks bought a new '74 Westy and lived in it with four youngsters ranging from 1 1/2 to 7 1/2. My wife says that ever since then I've been trying to return to the "mothership". My folks had the '74 shipped back to the US at the end of the exchange program and put 113,000 miles on it over the next 10 yrs. One fateful oil change my father cleaned the oil screen and overtorqued the center nut busting the case. The van sat behind the barn for another five or six years until it became my first car. I fixed it up a bit and headed across the country. Being a youngster with very limited means and an older vehicle in relative disrepair, I experienced the crash-course in VW repair. Hooked ever since.

On another note:

Quote:
I drove the courtesy shuttle/parts getter which just happened to be a brand new yellow and tan diesel automatic Vanagon.

It has been my understanding that the diesel vanagon option never came with an automatic tranny. Can anyone confirm whether or not that was true? Or was the Automatic Diesel an engine swap? To mate the diesel to an automatic would require a different auto tranny bellhousing altogether and I have never heard of such a thing stock.

Andrew
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in my early 20s, a friend of mine and I went skiing in the rockies for two months in his split window camper, moving from resort to resort, most often camping in the resort parking lots. It was a blast! When I was in my later 20s, I bought my own '58 VW camper, a perfect machine for the southern california beach(surfing) and mountain(skiing) scene. I sold it when the the engine died, and have been without a VW camper since.

Fast forward thirty years -- My kids are all grown now, and we sold a motorhome we had (but hardly used). Now that I have more time to do the necessary repairs, etc., I bought my first vanagon Westfalia. My wife loves it! We had eyed them for years, and always known how efficient they were for camping -- the ultimate in small, functional, take off and go vehicles. Now if my wife didn't still work so many hours.... Sad

Rich
ckissick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grab the steering wheel and sort of jump up.

Actually, I've been into VWs since before I was born. My father has been a VW dealer since 1955. As for Westfalias, I like camping and travelling. But I also like the way the ride and handle, even if they are slow. I think y'all know what I mean.
flyingCoyote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: How did YOU get into Vanagons? Reply with quote

When I was about 16, I was hitchhiking in Shrub Oak, NY and got picked up by a hippie in a bay westy that he had customized with some really nice custom cabinetwork. I knew this was my dream car, though I drove old 70s musclecars for the next few hormone-drenched years.

Picked up an early 70s breadloaf when I was 20, and sold it about a year later when I moved to NYC. Next I bought a 76 Westy, did a lot of camping, road trips to New Orleans, etc.

The 76 had been a money pit, so my next cars were a GTI, a new Mercury Sable, and an old Cadillac, none of which satisfied me.

Finally, last January, I found a 7-passenger vanagon on ebay which I've been fixing up and making into a camper, and soon my (brave!) girlfriend and I will be heading out to spend a few months seeing our country. She loves the Vanagon, which she named the "Let's go!", and wants a Beetle for herself - obviously marriage material!
McHuntley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I get into Vanagons...
Well, I have always like the less loved dubs, and I needed trasportation. I had just lost the tranny on my little mercury. Tranny repair/replace is Horrendously expensive.
I found this green vanagon on ebay, and talked the seller into letting me come down and look it over before I paid, even if I won the auction. Well, I won the auction, so we went down to San Diego and looked her over. I liked what I saw, and I bought her. That was almost 2 years ago.
My kids and I debated on a name for her, and eventually we settled on 'GrunHilda' as it just seemed to fit.
She has had a number of things repaired over the last 2 years, but otherwise has been a great car.
Presently she is parked, as I have a tranny leak and a blown coolant hose. Pub transport for me... IN a Bus!

Matt
mordeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I inherited my affinity for the Bus. My parents first car was a 62 Beetle that they bought with my mother's inheritance. They used that until they bought a 64 Beetle and at one point had a 64 Transporter. Don't know how they did two cars at once on a young parson's wages.The Beetle and Bus were followed by a 68 Volvo sedan and then a 70 squareback.

When I was about 10 or 11 my dad was having one of his several midlife crises (one of which involved an Opel GT - DOH!) and bought a 69 Westy. I loved that bus a lot and he and I had a lot of good times in that. On several occasions, we had the whole famn damily in it - me in the cot, sister upstairs and mom and pop in the MBR. What a fun way to spend a rainy day! Unfortunately, we got burned on a rebuild by Butch who quickly absconded with $900 after not reconnecting the heat exchanger baffle spring("Nope. Butch ain't here. Butch is gone). Pops rebuilt it that time himself in the driveway but was fed up with it by then. Had I been a bit older, I might have asked to keep it.

Recently, I was trying to load some new patio furniture into my Honda Accord and couldn't. I realized that a sedan and hatchback did not fit our lifestyle. I thought about picking up an mid 80s MB 300TD and converting it to veg oil but got real and figured I would be fairly disinclined to collect oil every week. Don't recall exactly how I got on to the idea of a Vanagon but I did. My new obsession was easy to sell to my wife as she did 13k miles around the states in one with a friend shortly before we were married. She was sentimental for a Vanagon too.

Here we are.
winkshog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: bus growing up Reply with quote

My dad bought a 69 tranporter in 76 had it of about 4 years the man loved cars all shape and sizes. Wife wanted a VW bus I saw a 86 vanagon that needed a clutch. Went to buy when a co work said she would sell me a westy w/campertent for the same price as the plane GL that need the clutch I jumped on it. Have owned it for Two weeks and have made one trip to the nat's forest for the weekend and this week end to the state park. Loven it work out geart with the two kids.........
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bought a pair of diesel passanger vans in serious dissassembly,
1 8 pass, one 7 pass sunroof, a turbo diesel engine in one, tranny in the other.. but all in all repair and a driveline short.

they sat in my drive, and still do for many many years. none the worse after 10 yrs of idl storage..

the van I'm driving is my official 'vanagon rescue' ASI camper had a engine noise and PO wanted it to goto a good home inlieu of a NYC salvage yard. so I drug it home to the country. replaced the ac engine with the TD I had for 10yrs and have been enjoying it since..

have since acquired 2 more diesels for my father (gutted work van and diesel westy) a syncro project for myself (audi 5cyl turbo swap in progress) and a syncro pass turning weekender for my mom to follow our VW club along in.

dan in NY
1980 ASI TD conversion
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: