Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fluke engine lid accident but worth a warning
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: fluke engine lid accident but worth a warning Reply with quote

Decided to do an oil change and aircleaner clean after a long dusty trip. Before reinstalling the aircleaner I vacuumed the engine compartment and noticed the license plate light lens needed cleaning. I removed the lens and washed it and got a towel wet to wipe the engine compartment with which I laid on the open lid. My engine compartment lid has the spring and roller type stay. I was standing and leaning against it with my thighs and tightening the 2 screws carefully on the lens with my fingers between the hinge gap for some grip to hold the screwdriver. When I backed away the now heavier towel slammed the lid closed and I almost lost 3 fingers. Got x-rays and stitches and am fine. It's amazing how a blunt rolled edge can cut like a razor when fulcrumed like that. The good news is it didn't latch all the way. If it had I couldn't have gotten free as my chuchkey was back up front and my wife was gone for hours.
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Glad your okay. I did a similar thing with my arm slammed and latched in the hood of my Ranger. I had to use a pry bar to get my arm out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost my focus using a compound miter saw and nearly ended up with my hand in a jar. Luckily I had a gifted surgeon and am typing this with both hands and all fingers.

ALWAYS pay attention to not only what you're focussed on, but on everything else that's part of the equation.
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yowza. That's a bad place to put your fingers (as you know!). But it looks like you can still type, and that's a good sign!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LHG
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, you'll have nightmares of the lid latching. Can you imagine that?

You might have ended up like the rock climber who had to self amputate to get himself out of a jam. Shocked
www.facebook.com/groups/vintagevwclub/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: fluke engine lid accident but worth a warning Reply with quote

Yikes! Glad to hear the damage wasn't too severe, Barry.
--Dan
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't tell you how many times i've been cracked over the head by the engine lid of my split beetle. Confused

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks for the replies. I'm stupid for letting it happen and definitely don't want sympathy. The thing is, I've worked on my bus thousands of times and cleaned that lens and reattached it at least 20 times and just when you least expect it, a totally new unpredictable thing nails you. Typing actually feels good for it all, thanks.
jardindelalma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had someone offering to buy my SC from me in a parking lot and I was checking the oil...as soon as I thought about showing it to the guy the lid slammed on my head! Of course I listened to the Ol girl, shes got some seirious MOJO that way!

I definately think about it everytime I open the lid now!

Glad your OK!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: