Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this car worth it?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old School VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Is this car worth it? Reply with quote

Is this 53 standerd ovel worth $10,950? Has anyone ever driven a car with mechanical brakes and is it safe to drive like this or am I better off buying a car with non mechanical brakes? Never had a car with cable brakes, but the car looks so sweet would love to have it, but dont want to make a mistake in buying it.

Thanks

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=347244
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be worth it if they moved the tail lights up a little farther... Kind of expensive for an oval..If you decided to buy it and have it shipped out to orange county you would be into it about 13k. no its not worth that. nice car though.
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMNCLNR wrote:
If you decided to buy it and have it shipped out to orange county you would be into it about 13k. no its not worth that.

Shipping coast to coast usually runs about $1k. But $12k is still pretty steep. Also, mechanical brakes are great, but not for daily driving. Try driving around a hydraulic brake operated Beetle, then use the handbrake only to stop the car. That's what cable brakes are like.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
Try driving around a hydraulic brake operated Beetle, then use the handbrake only to stop the car. That's what cable brakes are like.

Wrong. Not even close.

The handbrake operates basically 2 out of eight brake shoes on the car. And since the front wheels do about 70-80% of the braking, using the handbrake is equivalent to about 10% of the potential braking power of 8 shoes.

Cable brakes, when adjusted properly are fine. The biggest problem with is that you loose the dyncamic (fluid) balancing effect between hubs that hydro brakes have when one hub becomes slightly out of adjustment than the rest. If that hub has greater shoe clearance, then it basically is a non-playa, since the cables will stop when the other shoes make contact. If (not likely) it is closer than the others, it will grab first, and the others not nearly at all.

So the typical "problem" with cable brakes is that you don't get even side to side, and front to back braking, unless all the shoes are perfectly and evenly clearanced. The chore is that you really should give the shoes a quick adjust every few hundered miles. Depending on how much you actually drive the car, that may or may not be an issue.

In the DKF cruise, the cable braked cars always went in the front of the line.........!

To the original post about the car for sale, the pics show a very solid body (what they show anyway) for a car that age. Too bad its not a split.... Wink

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab

Last edited by johnshenry on Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="johnshenry"]
RareAir wrote:
DMNCLNR wrote:
Try driving around a hydraulic brake operated Beetle, then use the handbrake only to stop the car. That's what cable brakes are like.

Wrong. Not even close.

The handbrake operates basically 2 out of eight brake shoes on the car. And since the front wheels do about 70-80% of the braking, using the handbrake is equivalent to about 10% of the potential braking power of 8 shoes.

Cable brakes, when adjusted properly are fine. The biggest problem with is that you loose the dyncamic (fluid) balancing effect between hubs that hydro brakes have when one hub becomes slightly out of adjustment than the rest. If that hub has greater shoe clearance, then it basically is a non-playa, since the cables will stop when the other shoes make contact. If (not likely) it is closer than the others, it will grab first, and the others not nearly at all.

So the typical "problem" with cable brakes is that you don't get even side to side, and front to back braking, unless all the shoes are perfectly and evenly clearanced. The chore is that you really should give the shoes a quick adjust every few hundered miles. Depending on how much you actually drive the car, that may or may not be an issue.

In the DKF cruise, the cable braked cars always went in the front of the line.........!

To the original post about the car for sale, the pics show a very solid body (what they show anyway) for a car that age. Too bad its not a split.... Wink

Hey I got sheistered.. I never wrothe that! And thank god its not a split or else it would be a zwitter YUCK!
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DMNCLNR"]
johnshenry wrote:
RareAir wrote:
DMNCLNR wrote:

Wrong. Not even close.

Hey I got sheistered.. I never wrothe that! And thank god its not a split or else it would be a zwitter YUCK!

Sorry, my mistake, I was messing around with the quote tags. I fixed it in my post.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Old School VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Would it be wrong for me to do this? Reply with quote

Would it be wrong to change the brakes over to hydraulic? If the car was not cable the car would be on it`s way to CA!! I really like the car. I think a standard bug is really special, but I want to be able to stop. I want the car as a kinda daily driver car. I have 2 other cars I can drive, but when I feel like it I want to drive the bug.
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Would it be wrong for me to do this? Reply with quote

Old School VW wrote:
Would it be wrong to change the brakes over to hydraulic? If the car was not cable the car would be on it`s way to CA!! I really like the car. I think a standard bug is really special, but I want to be able to stop. I want the car as a kinda daily driver car. I have 2 other cars I can drive, but when I feel like it I want to drive the bug.

Yes it would be wrong. If the cable brakes are maintained, there is no reason you cant drive it.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
steven wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's worth it. There WAY to many VW's in California to pay $12K for an oval and have to worry about shipping it. I live about hour and a half away and I've never seen it at any shows.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Would it be wrong for me to do this? Reply with quote

2splits wrote:
Yes it would be wrong. If the cable brakes are maintained, there is no reason you cant drive it.

I'll second that.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Would it be wrong for me to do this? Reply with quote

Towel Rail wrote:
2splits wrote:

I'll second that.

Thirds. There are so few real standards out there...gotta preserve it. Its not like you're gonna commute in it right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason Eden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about my 50 split dlx it came with cable brakes but everyone said I should change them out. What do you guys think about that? I was going to use cable brakes I bought new cables and a few other parts I needed. But I also have all the parts to change it over also.
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Would it be wrong for me to do this? Reply with quote

Old School VW wrote:

buy Ben's the guy I GREW UP WITH THE TDC VW PART SPLIT THAT IS FOR SALE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason Eden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Would it be wrong for me to do this? Reply with quote

FASTBACKDON wrote:
Old School VW wrote:

I know whos car that used to be and nothing is og, but if you have alot of time and $$ and he will let it go for 6000.00 then it might be worth it.
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy owned a `51 standard with about 50,000 original miles...it has been for sale off and on several times on here and discussed the past couple months.

Anyhoooo...the car still had its "original cable brakes"...well since 1968 at least when the 2nd owner who we got it from bought it. Those damn cable brakes where as 95% as good the hydraulics in my Sept `50 deluxe split. Honestly I could really not tell the difference. I had heard so many horror stories...but usually from folks who never owned or had driven a cable brake car.

As far as adjusting them...the car had a rear drum with a stripped out lug nut, so we had to loosen that cable up to remove and replace the drum. Upon reinstallation, I just followed the adjustment instructions in the workshop manual. It was as easy as pie and the damn thing was perfect the first time.

I would not hesitate to drive a split with cable brakes at all.
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Old School VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Would it be wrong for me to do this? Reply with quote

FASTBACKDON wrote:
Old School VW wrote:

Don`t have that kinda money to buy the guys split.
I only have $11,000 to spend on a car right now. But from what I read from his post thought he was keeping it?

Last edited by Old School VW on Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDC Auto Parts
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Would it be wrong for me to do this? Reply with quote

FASTBACKDON wrote:
Old School VW wrote:

Don never said I was selling the split for sure! Just I was thinking about it as would like a car all done as I kinda lost interest from working on it for the last 9 months, But with the help of some of The Samba member who offered to help me the car will get done.

Ben
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: