Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Repuild kits (size?)
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GermanLookT2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Best Repuild kits (size?) Reply with quote

Ive been putting it off for far too long, Rebuilding my 2.0L in my 77 bus. Im always surfing on the web looking for opinions and reviews on what people have done with their type 4's. I want a signifigant increase in power, but I wont be climbing any hills in the area Im living. Who makes the most, reliable , or should I say the most reputable rebuild kits. Should I consider converting to Carb, If I do Im probably going IDF, and reccomendations. I dont have a massive budget being a college student, but i need an engine that will fit the paint job Im getting. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoptalkforums.com would be a good place to ask this question or to do more research on the type IV. You are not going to have your cake and eat it too with a type IV rebuild. If you want a "significant increase" in power then you will need a "massive budget" to spend. It's hard to impossible to find a type IV rebuild kit or cheap performance parts like you find for type I engines.

In a bus you need to increase the stroke to get more torque. So you should start with a stroker crank. Stock is 71 mm and 76 mm is the longest you can use without some clearancing of the case. A 78.4 mm crank is nice, but you will need to find somebody familiar with clearancing the case to make it work. A 78.4 mm crank would benefit a lot with larger valves or porting and polishing the heads which isn't cheap either. Stick with the 94mm pistons unless you plan to machine the case and go larger. You can get slip in 96 mm pistons, but good ones are around $500 and this money would be better spent on a stroker crank. Carbs: Weber 44 or larger would be the best, but it depends on exactly what size engine you build. Check out Shoptalkforums.com for advice and aircooled.net for advice and parts. Aircooled.net is among the best for engine components and they have a lot of type IV stuff. Good luck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: