Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What to pay for 1984 Westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: What to pay for 1984 Westy Reply with quote

I was recently contacted by an acquantance who wanted me to give him an offer to buy his 84 Westy. This guy is 90 years old and this is his 4th VW type 2. (I have his old 23 window, which he owned from 1960-1982.)
This 84 is in okay , but rather worn condition. He hasn't gone camping in it since he lost his wife a few years ago. The camping bits are very good. The brakes don't work, probably needs master cylinder. It is a full westy and has the extra 2 person seat. (Is that a Westy bit or just a 7 pass Vanagon part?) Needs a new poptop seal. But, the big problem is rust. No actual perforation, but the whole passenger side has terrible surface rust. I'm sure it is only a few years away from having a bunch of holes in the side.
I'd kind like to have this, but if I get it, i'll have to deal with the rust VERY SOON..
The car has 150k miles on it, it's a 4 speed, and the engine works okay.
What should I offer? Keep in mind that I am in IOWA!
(He's a pretty cagey old guy, I can't just steal it from him. Nor would I.)
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceter 2 person seat is a vanagon thing, not from a westy, can't open the fridge door.
Rust is the enemy, you see about 20%, get into it and it is so much worse.
Your description doesn't sound encouraging, and not being driven for a while I bet the tires are old and cracked too. And then you will find a doxen other things once you get into it. 500$ if it was me.
ckissick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 1983 Westy with a new engine and minor surface rust, here near expensive San Francisco, for $2000. Worse rust, old engine, Iowa; yeah, $500 sounds about right.
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rust is evil. In the midwest you might find a clean 1.9 camper for $3500, but they all have those little scratches and old window seals that will join forces and rot everything eventually. Its just the dampness of the midwest, even if a car sits in a garage (unless its heated or very well taken care) its doomed.

Reminds me of buying my 84 from the original owner, his wife had died recently and wouldn't let him sell it while she was alive. As I was getting ready to drive it away, the old man opened up the garage revealing an 80's 911 (SC or Carrera maybe). Along with his son and grandson, they were all smiles putting the plates on the 911.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What to pay for 1984 Westy Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
I'd kind like to have this, but if I get it, i'll have to deal with the rust VERY SOON.

That says it right there. You have to say that to him. Like my 85 the 84 is sort of the bottom of the heap as far as wbx Westies go. The four speed is more economical than my automatic in terms of fuel consumption and is not quite as slow. But it still has that weazer 82 hp (bulletproof) 1.9L in it.

Since he offered it to you, he has a number in mind. Ask him.

Remember too: "It is worth what someone will pay for it."

Without know what other things it needs, it is near impossible to tell you what to pay. If it needs heads (likely) and you do the work, deduct $1K. Rust work, depends, but a big deduct is in order. It will need tires. Brakes ($300 parts.) Top seal is like $100 or so. It will need CVs too sooner. I got all my dents dealt with and a Maaco paint for $1200 after I stripped it. Then $450 to get all the glass back in. It adds up.

What you need to do is determine what a good condition 83-85 Westy is going for and deduct.

Now, since you already got one van from him you are in luck. He probably sort of thinks you are OK. That is why he is offering it to you. He knows he needs to find it a good home. At his age, like my dad, he is more inclined to make someone else happy and get the thing gone and off to a good home.

My beat 85 cost me $2500 (no rust) and I have $8K total including purchase in it. Everything but the basic engine and trans needed help.

You have some base lining to do and then find out what it will take to get the Westy up to your standards. Then go from there.

BTW: The double seat is the seven pass seat and the single is the expensive ($350) one.

Good Luck...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In '84, I think the wolfsburg westys(light brown over brown) came with the double seat. Its too hard for most people to add the seat tracks etc just for a middle seat. In addition to that, the WW double seat has a tilting backrest on the outer seat. It also will have the tach without the red and green zone.
kevin11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the extra seat came withmy 84 westy,wolfsburg. I keep it stored in the garage during camping season,plus I don't use it anyways. But it will go withthe camper when i sell it...soon.Got too many cars now and need the room.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: