Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

searching for pics of doorpanels 1951
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
standard-brezel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: searching for pics of doorpanels 1951 Reply with quote

I will make doorpanels for my Standard built in march 1951. My car still has got the original seats, with original cloth, but the doorpanels were lost sometimes. For now Iīve made some panels only to close the sides. I need pictures from original doorpanels of STANDARD splits, to reproduce them, to know how to sew them, I only found EXPORT ones, but pics from standard interiors ( esp. the doorpanels ) are very hard to find.
Iīve heard that the fabric of the standards in 1951 werenīt the same like the seat fabrics, the next question is: do all standards has got ashtrays or even one ashtray at the back sidepanels , and : is the fabric glued on the panels directly on standards, without cushion, like on exports ?? does somebody know ? please help. thanks alot.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kafer53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These look like the ones you need

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=301317
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kafer53 wrote:

No those panels are not correct, those are deluxe panels.

I have a '51 std also, and I may have one of the original panels, I'll have to look later. My '51 is mostly disassembled and the parts stored away.

It is my understanding also, tha thte door panel material is not the same as the seat material. It does not have the fine, woven in striping, it is a solid pattern cloth. It does not have the sewn in "leatherette" portion at the bottom either.

I do not know for sure about the rear ashtrays, but my guess is that they came from the factory without any ashtrays in the back (or front). Of course at the dealer they could easily attach one for the customer, it would be very easy to attach it on the rear side panel with some screws.

I have also seen a few times the black bakelite "dome" ashtray screwed to the blank dash pod on standards. Since standards did not come with the dash hole for the slide-out ashtray, it would have been far easier for the deal to attach a new dome ashtray to the blank pod if the customer wanted an ashtray in the front.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 52 standard seems to have the original rear panel material in it, unfortunately my front panels are missing the material, they would be pretty easy to make because there is no pad or seam of any kind on them, its just material glued directly down to the panels, its sort of a thin grey felt like material, definately not like the seats, I thought mine were wrong they appear so out of place next to the seats but I have been assured they are original, mine has no ashtray on the rear or in the dash but someone installed an oval rear ashtray right into the drivers door panel, I think that panel went to California with my other 52 standard I sold years ago, I will tryto post a pic later
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
standard-brezel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for comments. So itīs true, standard door panels donīt have the same material like the seats. And no ashtray were mounted from volkswagen company. maybe only the dealers mounted them.
And the material were directly glued on the boards, without cushion, no leather were sewed on the bottom.
have you got any informations about the outside of the doorpanels, I mean the edge/border ? Deluxe / Export panels have outside borders sewn on.....standards donīt ?
At least I will be very thankfull to receive high res. pictures of the surface of original panels, maybe mailed directly to me. [email protected]
thank you all for help.
standard-brezel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billmetric wrote:
my 52 standard seems to have the original rear panel material in it, unfortunately my front panels are missing the material, they would be pretty easy to make because there is no pad or seam of any kind on them, its just material glued directly down to the panels, its sort of a thin grey felt like material, definately not like the seats, I thought mine were wrong they appear so out of place next to the seats but I have been assured they are original, mine has no ashtray on the rear or in the dash but someone installed an oval rear ashtray right into the drivers door panel, I think that panel went to California with my other 52 standard I sold years ago, I will tryto post a pic later

thanks for your comment, have you made pics ?
standard-brezel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
kafer53 wrote:

No those panels are not correct, those are deluxe panels.

I have a '51 std also, and I may have one of the original panels, I'll have to look later. My '51 is mostly disassembled and the parts stored away.

It is my understanding also, tha thte door panel material is not the same as the seat material. It does not have the fine, woven in striping, it is a solid pattern cloth. It does not have the sewn in "leatherette" portion at the bottom either.

I do not know for sure about the rear ashtrays, but my guess is that they came from the factory without any ashtrays in the back (or front). Of course at the dealer they could easily attach one for the customer, it would be very easy to attach it on the rear side panel with some screws.

I have also seen a few times the black bakelite "dome" ashtray screwed to the blank dash pod on standards. Since standards did not come with the dash hole for the slide-out ashtray, it would have been far easier for the deal to attach a new dome ashtray to the blank pod if the customer wanted an ashtray in the front.

hi john henry, great help ! have you made some pics of your panel ?
I will start the restoration soon, and need informations for it. thank you,
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear I'm gonna take some pics some day, maybe before winter
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and removed my OG material LR panel and I have a bunch of detailed pics I can E-mail, they are too big to post on here, I will reduce the quality and post one here in a bit but if anyone wants a good detail shot let me know your e-mail and I will send them out
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here you go :

the material is like some sort of wool/velvet type of stuff, almost feels like the flocking on a Hazet tool kit

I can e-mail 1GB sized original photos if anyone wants them
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have not been able to find mine.....!!

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: