Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best custom VW ever???
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arod wrote:
'rodbuster ghia' by chris addington. sometime in the 80's.

I agree with him 100% and I dont think anybody will ever top it either. He built his engine from scratch and it ran. When I say from scratch, he built that shit out of a chunk of billet aluminum.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not to mention, "ShockWave" topless graphicked square back built by George Delfino.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlametopFred wrote:
notchback wrote:
All hail the mighty El Ghiablo

This is exactly what I am talking about.
Most excellent.

The pink one states: why not?
The green one states: why?

Both are now on my 'will-purchase-when-win-lottery' list.
sweet

Yeah, you'll definately have to wait until you get a bucket of cash - those two "finds" will probably set you back more than you can imagine Wink
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Rodbuster did actually run? I retract my previous statement, in that case...well, except for the part about the wheels. Lol.

It WAS an amazing car, given the work that went into it, but it seems like such an empty investment to put that much in the way of $$$ into it, only to (most likely) never gain it back in selling it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
So the Rodbuster did actually run? I retract my previous statement, in that case...well, except for the part about the wheels. Lol.

It WAS an amazing car, given the work that went into it, but it seems like such an empty investment to put that much in the way of $$$ into it, only to (most likely) never gain it back in selling it.

Any custom is a money pit and one should never think they'll even come close to getting the money out of it.

The SCCA rules state that any car entered into their shows must move forward and in reverse under their own power.
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveM wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:

Any custom is a money pit and one should never think they'll even come close to getting the money out of it.

The SCCA rules state that any car entered into their shows must move forward and in reverse under their own power.

Yes. I was at VW Expo in Pomona I think it was 1988, He fired it up and it was idling and it sounded a little rough idling then it smoothed out I was like how in the hell does a guy build his own engine from scratch. A fricken chunk of aluminum.

The detail was unmatched and this was almost 20 years ago. He invested all that money into a car that most people wouldnt care about.
He took the show scene 3 seperate times with that same car, First was when it was called 'Brown's Ghia' it was a clean cal look ghia, then it was redone as 'The Right Stuff Ghia' then lastly as 'Rodbuster'
One thing I never understood was why he never redid his interior the last time because the blue kinda threw itself off from the rest of the car.
All this not to mention kicking the shit out of the American Street Rod guys, this VW rolled into rod shows and left American hot rodders crying.
Still the ultimate VW.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
vwdmc16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most aggreed.

where is it today?

'72 Ghia: http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n146/vwdmc17/100_1964.jpg
'72 Honda Z600
'81 Delorean

www.EVILGENIUSRACING.com
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwdmc16 wrote:
most aggreed.

where is it today?

Dave Cormack once said he knew where rodbuster was... but wouldnt come out and tell us.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I heard, Addington still had it, though I can't confirm it. I know he was trying to sell it for a sum in the neighborhood of $300,000, as there was an ad in the back of Hot VWs in the early to mid '90s.

Other cars I'm curious as to where they went: Keith Braden's pink suicide door '70 (Nov. 90 Hot VWs), Sean Cours' black Super Vert with turbo engine (same issue, maybe?), Chris Hill's light blue and white two-tone Bug with multi-neon-paint engine compartment (April 1991? Hot VWs)...the list could go on and on, but my memory's getting hazy...lol!

One car I remember learning the fate of from a local guy in my old hometown...built by Sean Cour, I believe, it was a black early '60s ragtop with Fuchs, shaved and dechromed, fully detailed IDA'd engine with a center-mount (garbage) fan shroud, full custom interior with smooth dash and VDO gauges...and the most telling signature thing on the car was a pinstripe job on the rear fenders that depicted a chick going down on the guy. You had to look pretty close to see it.
What I was told was some kid bought the car and started to daily drive it when the Facet fuel pump failed and the car burned to the ground. Supposedly this guy who told me informed me that he saw a bunch of parts from the car at a swap meet and that's where he got the story. Sad.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggdude67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the cars not listed so far is the mid engined 911 powered chop top bug that was cut like a baja. Full custom that was yellow at one point and then was painted orange metal flake. I had heard it was stolen many years ago and has never been seen since. What are you going to do with a one of a kind car but part it out and scrap the rest. What a waste.
Anyone remember that car and what it was named.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buggdude67 wrote:
One of the cars not listed so far is the mid engined 911 powered chop top bug that was cut like a baja. Full custom that was yellow at one point and then was painted orange metal flake. I had heard it was stolen many years ago and has never been seen since. What are you going to do with a one of a kind car but part it out and scrap the rest. What a waste.

That was 'Top Gun'. It was stolen and then found. I saw it in a car showroom in some little town on the Oregon coast in the mid 90's.
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ultimate? "the philly look"

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by UZI on Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggdude67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveM wrote:
buggdude67 wrote:

That was 'Top Gun'. It was stolen and then found. I saw it in a car showroom in some little town on the Oregon coast in the mid 90's.

Dave thats cool, I was not aware it was found. I would like to see recent a picture of it if anyone has one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buggdude67 wrote:
DaveM wrote:
buggdude67 wrote:

Dave thats cool, I was not aware it was found. I would like to see recent a picture of it if anyone has one.

When I saw it in the mid 90's it looked just like it did when it was on the cover of HotVWs. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me at the time.
71VOTB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
arod wrote:
'rodbuster ghia' by chris addington. sometime in the 80's.

I agree with him 100% and I dont think anybody will ever top it either. He built his engine from scratch and it ran. When I say from scratch, he built that shit out of a chunk of billet aluminum.

Not to mention, "ShockWave" topless graphicked square back built by George Delfino.

You didn't post the best part, the dash with all the digital readouts. And this was before flat screens.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveM wrote:
buggdude67 wrote:

Ah, yes, the car of Ed Papac of Enterprise, Oregon. Evidently, it must have been seized and sold at auction after Mr. Papac got busted for insurance fraud back in the mid-90s. I was reading the paper one Sunday around '94 or '95 and read a small newsbrief that said Papac had been arrested for scamming his insurance company.
Car was stolen, went to Mexico, he got it back at some point that I don't believe was disclosed in the article and never repaid the insurance company even though he got the car back. What goes around comes around, even if it takes over a decade! Laughing
coW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: C O O L ! Reply with quote

biggene wrote:
FlametopFred wrote:
No.

Fridolin is completley new to me ... what is it? Where from?
Wow. I want one. Is this a Euro thing?

Funny, because I consider myself an "autopedia" and have knowledge of thousands of cars, trucks, tanks, jeeps, planes, boats, ships, space-craft ... but the nice think is that just when I think I know everything, something "new to me" comes along.

What the heck is a Fridolin?

Somebody 'splain it to me ... I am intrigued by this coolness.

But I still aim to finish my custom projects. The Type-3 / Bay Window is going to turn out more like a ultra-chopped and lowered Bay Window. But the seats will be behind the front wheels.

Fridolin.

Cool.

I am glad that I don't know everything. That would be dull.
Are they European?

This is neat.

I want.
I want!

From what I can remember, they were Swedish (????) postal delivery vehicles.

I remember seeing them in the Netherlands and Germany as well for a stint.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwdmc16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LCB wrote:

You didn't post the best part, the dash with all the digital readouts. And this was before flat screens.

and it had a small b&w tv in the center

'72 Ghia: http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n146/vwdmc17/100_1964.jpg
'72 Honda Z600
'81 Delorean

www.EVILGENIUSRACING.com
71VOTB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwdmc16 wrote:
LCB wrote:

and it had a small b&w tv in the center

Straight up CRT. Those were the days.
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
Last I heard, Addington still had it, though I can't confirm it. I know he was trying to sell it for a sum in the neighborhood of $300,000, as there was an ad in the back of Hot VWs in the early to mid '90s.

Yep according to R.K. Smith, Addington still has the car. Its tucked away. Hell if I built something like that I wouldnt get rid of it.
Also, youre right, his dash was totally digital. This was unheard of in custom cars back then not to mention his wheels were factory 1984 Mercury Cougar stock mags and he cut them out to his own design.
That car had so many little tricks involved here and there. The Jay Werner 3-D graphics, that guy Jay Werner was like the top airbrush artist there was back then.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: