Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ever use "Sea Foam"?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Ever use "Sea Foam"? Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has ever used Sea Foam in their gas tank or directly in the carb for its "magical" cleaning properties. Do you recommend it? Does it make your exhaust pungent for a while?

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it worked great in my GTI, it now performs almost as new. I don't know that I would use it in an air cooled motor
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive never used that product or any other additive/cleaning product. i think most if not all of these type of products are snake oil.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67jason wrote:
ive never used that product or any other additive/cleaning product. i think most if not all of these type of products are snake oil.

That's why I'm asking, because I'm sketchy, too. Supposedly it has a fuel stabilizer in it, too. I used a fuel stabilizer (but not Sea Foam) in my Lotus white '67 when it went to St. Pete for the summer. I have heard of Marvel Mystery Oil and Sea Foam and have heard they actually do clean fuel line and cylinder internals. Of course, I wanted confirmation, or to debunk the myth.

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
67jason wrote:

That's why I'm asking, because I'm sketchy, too. Supposedly it has a fuel stabilizer in it, too. I used a fuel stabilizer (but not Sea Foam) in my Lotus white '67 when it went to St. Pete for the summer. I have heard of Marvel Mystery Oil and Sea Foam and have heard they actually do clean fuel line and cylinder internals. Of course, I wanted confirmation, or to debunk the myth.

nothing wrong with that...im curiose as to others experiences too.
thevanillaninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner with amazing results in a few different cars.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stored for 4 1/2 years and soon to be resurrected..
'67 beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love seafoam...works great....mainly use it in my motorcycle since it sits alot...helped with the carbs when i bought it, they were a bit gummed up....it is not a miracle liquid, but does what it should....
Amigo-2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it in my daily driver (2000 Isuzu Amigo 3.2L). I dump in half a can into the oil, take it for a 20 min drive and then drain the oil. I use to have an issue with PING but since I have started this, I have not had any PING issues.

http://members.nuvox.net/~on.roz/cars/z28/seafoam.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cal63look
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok first off what type of seafoam are you talking about?? I have used seafoam several times, in my vw's, my acura integra and a honda civic.

The only type of seafoam i've seen is for pouring down the carb or putting it through a vaccum line in your intake manifold. What you do is pour it in with the engine running, you'll have to blip the pedal to keep the car from dying. Then shut the car off and let it sit for about 5 mins, then start it up and WATCH out for all the smoke, seriously its crazy how much smoke will come out!!! Its burning out the product and carbon build up in your manifolds, cylinder heads ect. Then the smoke will go away.

Ive never seen a seafoam for engine oil or as a gas additive.

Great stuff!!
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cal63look wrote:

Ive never seen a seafoam for engine oil or as a gas additive.

Great stuff!!

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is it. You can put it in the crankcase, gas tank, or in the carb (vacuum lines or directly in the barrel). If you put it in the gas tank, does it cause the exhaust to smoke a little bit, too, or just if you put it in the carb?

cal63look
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never ran it in the tank. But from how it is when ran direct (smoke), i would assume it would also smoke a little while driving. Plus it makes more sense to have a concentration of the product at once.
kdfjeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both Lucas and Chevron cleaner. Seemed to "feel peppy" but our cars run better the more we drive them. Our fuel injected cars liked Chevron cleaner and new fuel filters.
uglydog56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of motorcycle people use it in the winter. I know of no detractors on the mailing list I'm on for my bike. It was discussed recently.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the real deal, ask anybody that has used as the directions read. I have never heard of another product that you suck into your intake manifold. I really diddn't expect it to work so well. I read the thread on the vortex with about 200 people saying how well it worked, and figured for $7 I'll give it a try. I was also nervous about sucking it into my GTI's intake, but the results are night and day. I wish I would have known about this stuff the last 10 years. I do not know if it would work in an air cooled motor, but I imagine it would be fine since it also is for 2 and 4 stroke motors.

side note: I'd bet cheesy mechanics charge big $ and just use this stuff Smile the night and day difference would simulate a badely needed tune up
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What stores can you find it in?

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got it at napa, but I'm sure any local auto parts shop will have it.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car sits in the garage alot while I'm deployed so I might try it out.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mehmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first bought my 60 I used the Seafoam directly down the carb as I had no clue as to the condition of the carb or fuel. Did what it was supposed to due and helped a bit. At the first oil change though I used a new product that Carquest sells in there Preventative Maintenence Line. It is a two step Engine Decarbonizer product, part number PMC 85. It is meant for fuel injected engines and to be installed professionally, but you can slowly pour it down the carb. Car smoked like crazy while I did it, which was expected, but the results were night and day. On my drive home, car ran better then it ever had. Before I had problems getting over 55mph and afterwards 70 was no problem. Changed the oil and adjusted the valves the next morning and now its like a whole new car.
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the stuff you want to use for cleaning.

Jectron made by Lubro Moly. Most German car owners swear by it. This stuff makes all the other products seem like water. That seafoam stuff works good but you usually see it used in marine and industrial applications. Jectron is much stronger than a lot of the others on the market and it is suggested that it be used before a scheduled oil change. That way the chemical residues don't get into the oil system and start to break it down. This should be done with any injection cleaner but most people don't realize that. Lubro MOly also carries an excellent line of deisel maintnance products.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: