Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

M-594 big brake option
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kco2949785
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: M-594 big brake option Reply with quote

I'm told VW had a Caravelle/Vanagon bigger front brake option with a M code of M-594 for European buses. Anyone know exactly what parts made up the M-594 option? Are they the VW LT truck brakes? Can LT front brakes be installed on a Caravelle/Vanagon?
My stepson in Sweden has installed a Subaru Legacy engine in his Caravelle. Since he's over the limit of a 10% increase in horsepower (1.6 hp over to be exact) the Swedish licensing board won't renew the license on the Caravelle without increasing the size of the brakes. Thanks in advance for any help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the M code, but I do know the Syncro 16 models had upgraded front brakes sourced from the LT 28-31 light commercial trucks. AFAIK they are still non-vented rotors - just larger.

The South African Caravelles also reveived a brake upgrade. These were vented rotors of about 280mm and had ATE calipers similar to those used on the Ford Scorpio. This upgrade kit is still available through various sources.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kco2949785
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a PM that M code M594 was for bigger front brakes on German Postal buses. The calipers are different than the usual Vanagon/Caravelle/Transporter calipers. Anybody out there familiar with German Postal buses?
We would like to stay with the existing 14 inch wheels as the tires are new. Also in Sweden you have to run snow tires with studs frm November until April. We would like to avoid buying two sets of wheels with new winter and summer tires and South African brakes. That would be a big expense just because the Caravelle makes 1.6hp over the limit. And you guys in California think you have it bad with CARB.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be glad they worry. Here in sunny Cali, you have some very dangerous cars on the road. NO checks here. Do as you please, basically. There are few rules if any. You can put whatever you want on as long as a few basic rules are not violated. They are not bad rules. Things like muffler heightr, lamp height, number of lamps. But, they, for the most part, done not care...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
vwicked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '86 Club Joker has the M594 option, so I think it wasn't exclusively for German Postal busses. I'll try to post some pics but that can take a while. I do know my bus has 14" wheels so that should not be the problem.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES, YES, please post.

We in the US have got the stock bus brakes in ALL the different versions. That is why many of us are on a road to bigger brakes. In my case it is 303mm fronts with 16 inch wheels. But, if I could keep the stock wheels ( I have two sets of factory aluminum wheels ) I would love to do it and have better brakes.

My 85 Westy has those pitiful early brakes and I am afraid at times driving it. Not to mention the rotors warp a lot.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwicked wrote:
My '86 Club Joker has the M594 option, so I think it wasn't exclusively for German Postal busses. I'll try to post some pics but that can take a while. I do know my bus has 14" wheels so that should not be the problem.

Interesting. Do you recall off hand whether the discs are vented or non-vented? If the M594 option does not include vented rotors and they fit behind 14" wheels, that would mean the discs have to be the same 256mm ones used on our 86-91 Vanagons. That would mean the only upgrade possibility would be better calipers.

I'm wondering if the Euro market T3s kept the 80-85 brakes as the standard brakes, and the ones that became standard in the USA on the 86-91 vans are the M594 option.
Petervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with larger or stronger calipers,...would that mean possibly the master cylinder would have to changed out for a larger one
vwicked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=307382[/img]

[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=307379[/img]

I hope these pics will help.
vwicked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be doing something wrong.The pics don't show here but you can find them in the gallery.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by r39o on Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately a different caliper (sliding instead of fixed) but still a solid rotor.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: