Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mr. Heater Buddy SALE $54.99
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Two Recent Deaths... Reply with quote

These poor devils had a propane heater and forgot to leave a window open at all for it... It burned up the tent's oxygen enough to where it put out the flame, but then the gas kept coming in and THAT was what killed them. Y'know, a CO detector wouldn't have saved them from THAT.

I think I'd just use mine in the mornings.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thinair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats one of the reasons I bought the "Buddy" it works like a home furnace with a thermocoupling that shuts off the gas flow when the flame is not dectected. It goes further to have an anti-tip valvue as well as the oxygen depletion sensor. I've tested all but the o2 depletion sensor and they work great. If you think about it you are putting your life in the hands of similar technology on a daily basis in your home. But, I still don't think I would use the thing when I sleep. However if I kept the window open an inch as well as the top vent, I believe we could leave it running with no ill effects. Smile
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" am also looking to purchase a heater for winter camping and looked at the Coleman quick start Catalytic heater.It runs off a small can of propane and also has a battery operated fan. Seems like a good idea to help distribute the heat.
Would be kinda nice to have a built in timer in these type of heaters.
Oh well; wishful thinking"

I've used this Coleman heater in tents for many years, and it works great, as long as the tent is not a mess hall. My tent could sleep 5 to 6 persons, and this heater kept that space comfortable. In a Westy, I'd think it would work even better, since there is more insulation than a thin walled tent!
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucko wrote:
" am also looking to purchase a heater for winter camping and looked at the Coleman quick start Catalytic heater.It runs off a small can of propane and also has a battery operated fan. Seems like a good idea to help distribute the heat.
Would be kinda nice to have a built in timer in these type of heaters.
Oh well; wishful thinking"

I've used this Coleman heater in tents for many years, and it works great, as long as the tent is not a mess hall. My tent could sleep 5 to 6 persons, and this heater kept that space comfortable. In a Westy, I'd think it would work even better, since there is more insulation than a thin walled tent!

I have one of these and it works OK in my bus in Arizona-style winters, say with low temps in the 40 degree range.

Buses aren't exactly well-insulated. Glass is far from a good insulator!

For the Coleman heater to work well, you have to plan ahead. Don't expect to fire the thing up and have the bus toasty warm in 10 minutes. That impressive 3000BTU/h figure is only about 880W, or the heat output of a rather wimpy hair dryer.

Bring along a few extra propane bottles too, as one will only last a few hours. Leave one of the front wing windows cracked and you will have all the convective ventalation you need.

If I had to do it again, I'd go for a bigger heater and just use it to warm the bus in evening and morning, relying on my sleeping bag to keep me warm in between.
TroySmith80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm planning on plumbing in a quick disconnect for it in the Westy's propane lines, then putting in an "extend a stay" hook-up on the outside.

Did you ever do this? I'd like to do it myself and was about to get started on it this week. Then i found out that the buddy heater requires tank pressure (unregulated) gas at it's input. That means you'd have to tee into the vanagon propane system upstream of the regulator. Not impossible to work around, but a slight kink in my plans.

Has anyone plumbed any propane devices into the van's propane system? (other than the stove and fridge that came with the van, of course)
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On m recent trip it was cold everywere. Much colder than I thought it could be down there. Once I got into my bed I warmed up fine. One night it was so cold I wore a hat to bed also. It's an old Irish/British (pre central heating era) trick.

I used the alcohol stove/heater that I had on my boat but it ran out. Didn't use it again. There were times I didn't want to get out of bed. I think the night that I wore the hat I just couldn't brave taking my clothes off. Gotta have a sense of humor for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine on sale last year. Its the double burner. Works great for the westy. I wont sleep with mine on though. I'll reach out of my sleeping bag in the morning and click it on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: