Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Authorized service sign,Reproduction?? have you seen one be
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Authorized service sign,Reproduction?? have you seen one be Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/index.php?photo+200312171341278287

if anyone has any info itd be greatly appreciated. i just agreed to purchase this sign advertised here. anyone ever see one before. its pretty big to be a repro. any info would be greatly appreciated thanks! rob
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've never seen anythink like that. is it porcelain enamel? i'll tell you what...the color looks wrong and so does the typeface. based on that picture alone because i can see, touch, smell, taste it in person.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I questioned it as being real when I saw the ad go up because it looked a little weird (the font as Gibbs mentioned) and I had never seen one that size/shape.

But you never know...
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ad is gone now. that might be some indication. there are repros out there on everything ever made it seems. that thermometer to the right looked like a fake to me too.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for some input.hard to tell ive bought some big fat goose eggs before. i guess its kind of big for a repro and it sure seems i would have seen at least one somewhere sometime. ill post it here when i get it and let you know and yes the ford thermometer looks like a definite repro.
busracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/130775.jpg

i posted the pic in the gallery if anyone would like to view it. thanks rob
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's an old sign that a signpainter painted sometime ago, it still has collectibility. it has to be old tho obviously. if it were VW then i would think there would be more room around the edges (roundel and "service" would be so tight to the edges) and there would also be an inset stripe around the outside edge of the sign. let us know how it pans out.

Quote:
Quote:
vwsplitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: VW sign Reply with quote

Bought one just like it about 2 years at Hershey, Pa. Same color, font etc. Mine even has the thin layer of plastic covering the sign so it wont get scratched. 99 percent sure it is repro. Chuck P
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
L572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: The Sign.... Reply with quote

I emailed the seller for shipping estimate and he/she told me that it weighed about a pound so I'm guessing that it is one of the "tin" style (thin sheet steel). I couldn't tell if it was embossed or not. Kind of neat but too many $$$ for my budget. L 572
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's unlike any sign I've seen before specifically from VW. My gut instinct leans toward repro.

-NCR

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again for all the input! rob
busracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitman out of curiosity what did you pay for yours. that may be an indication also. who knows even reproductions may have a value now with all vwoas antics. rob
vwsplitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Repro sign Reply with quote

I remember paying less than a hundred for it. It was a sign guy that had it , and it was on a Saturday. When Hershey starts on Wed, I just know that if was the real thing, it would have been scooped up days ago , at the biggest car show in the world. Not embossed, just flat metal. Chuck P
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: