Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Black plastic pipe question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Black plastic pipe question Reply with quote

Now I am getting pretty anal I think.... Confused

The black plastic pipes in the rear of the engine that send air to the heat exchangers are hot when I checked them after a drive.

Is this OK? I would think they would be relatively cool due to moving cool air into the system.

Thanks
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering if this has anything to do with my heat not working well?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if you can remove those hoses and shove an air compressor blow gun in the front of the bus and blow out some of the crap that gets in there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

should those plastic pipes be getting hot though?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes as the hot air is trying to move forward in the bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the two flexible hoses that run from the electric fan down and through the tin to the heater boxes? The fan should run when you have the heat on full and the hoses should not be particuarly hot. If the fan is not running you should not have much back flow through the hoses, but I am sure there is a little so the temperature might creep up. If the electric fan is missing, the hoses are loose, or the outlet check valves on the fan don't work you will get a high rate of back flow through the hoses and little heat to the front.
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am talking about the black rigid plastic tubes that are in the rear of the engine compartment and go thru the tin to the heat exchangers.

Quote:
Are you talking about the two flexible hoses that run from the electric fan down and through the tin to the heater boxes? The fan should run when you have the heat on full and the hoses should not be particuarly hot. If the fan is not running you should not have much back flow through the hoses, but I am sure there is a little so the temperature might creep up. If the electric fan is missing, the hoses are loose, or the outlet check valves on the fan don't work you will get a high rate of back flow through the hoses and little heat to the front.

I am not clear as to what is being referred to as the electric fan Question

The reason I am asking is that my heat is not working. Getting cool air from the heater vents. I need to check the flapper valves and the flexible tube that moves the supposedly hot air to the front of the bus.

I got a little bit of heat while the engine was idling, but thats all.

just figured those black plastic tubes should be cool not hot....

thanks
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can not picture the rigid hoses you are talking about. What year is your bus? Is it a Type 1 or Type 4 engine?

The only rigid plastic I can think of are where the hoses from the electric fan attach. If the fan is missing you will not be getting much of any heat up front as you will be pumping all your air into the engine compartment.
scottcollins72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is talking about the ducts that run from the alternator to the heat exchangers I believe. Those aren't what are causing your lack of heat. Underneath the van where the engine attaches to the transmission, there should be two heater valves. Most of the time they are rusted to submission and won't do anything. Can't remember who posted a diagram of how it all works but somebody did. Replace the valves and check all the hoses and duct work in the area. The fan that Wildthings is talking about is underneath the black metal cover under the rear seat. After that it's all about the gas heater under your butt controlled by the green knob that says temp +-. If you require additional help I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Cheers
Scott.
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He is talking about the ducts that run from the alternator to the heat exchangers I believe

Yes - Those are what I am referring to. I understand how the heat works with regards to the heat exchangers and the flapper valves directly connected to them. I was just wondering if there was some correlation between the fact that my heat is not currently working and the fact that those tubes are hot.

I gotta get under there and check the cables and flapper operation.

Quote:
The fan that Wildthings is talking about is underneath the black metal cover under the rear seat.

I was not aware of any fan under the seat. I do not have the gas heater.

Thanks!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I was thinking of the heating system in a bay window van instead of the one in a Vanagon, sorry for the confusion. The only air cooled Vanagon I have around doesn't run so I do not know how hot the black pipes should be, but I would guess at about the same temperature as the fan shroud.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"He is talking about the ducts that run from the alternator to the heat exchangers I believe"

Now I'm confused. What ducts are there that connect to the alternator?
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now I'm confused. What ducts are there that connect to the alternator?

If you have an aircooled you can't miss them. They are in the back of the engine compartment directly behind the fan shroud and abouve the fan and dipstick. About 2 inches in diameter or so. They feed air into the heat exchangers thru holes in the cooling tin.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: