Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SHMO's Baja
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72BajaBen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that thing is BA...nice job man
SHMO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

I have "most" of the issues sorted out with the car. I tracked down some of my wild revving/dying problems to a faulty IAC control motor. At this point the swap is not 100% dialed, but it is really close.

My verdict is out on the ECOTEC swap. (my take on it)

To finally drive the car and have it working somewhat the way it should makes this motor swap feel justifiable. I cannot express how nicely it performs. The motor has an extremely smooth power delivery. You can more or less pick your speed by simply pressing on the pedal. The motor just makes grunt power from idle on up, and it runs like a watch. I would almost compare it to late model vehicle in regards to drivibility. There is no surge, no erratic power band, no hiccups, no flat spots, no nothing. Just press on the gas and away you go. It makes the car feel extremely mild mannered. However, when the loud pedal is pressed the thing wakes up and just flat gets after it. First gear goes by so quickly that clipping the rev limiter can easily sneak up on you. Second gear pulls exceptionally hard as well. Third gear is the same story, but here is the clincher. In fourth gear the car will still acellerate with a decent amount of force. That aspect is what really surprised me. Keep in mind, my car is pulling a 31 inch tall tire with 4.57 R&P ratio. Accelerating away from 70 mph by simply pressing on the gas is impressive to me. Hitting 100mph is easily done without pusing on it too hard. All in all, I think the Ecotec makes for an exceptional conversion into a baja or sand rail. Only time will tell on the reliability and longevity of the motor. Today I am totally pleased with it. Wink

SHMO
SHMO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a handful of completed pics of the car after the engine swap.

SHMO

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a shot from below the car showing the clearance of the oil pan. I will not have to change my original skiplate at all. All I have to do is bolt it on. That's a total bonus, and it aint gunna happen with a Subaru swap. Wink

sdskater2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any plans on putting a turbo on it in the future?
SHMO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I don't really see a need for it, for a couple reasons. First my stockish 091 tranny probably wouldn't like it very much, and for the offroading I do it would almost be pointless. If I was running in the sand and needed a shitload of power, I might consider it.

SHMO
surfbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had a chance to see how well the rear mounted radiator works? Do you have enough airflow to keep the temperatures normal?
SHMO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the natural airflow the coolant temps will continue to climb, until the ECU comes into effect and cycles the cooling fan. Once the temps drop, the fan turns off for a short period of time and the cycle repeats itself. The car has yet to run "HOT" or overheat, but I am planning to install a secondary (low CFM) fan that will run on a seperate thermostat. I think that will add a good measure of safety and also allow the motor to opperate in a much narrower temp range.

I have about 500 miles on the current setup in varrying tempretures and under different conditions. So far the cooling system has held up fine. However, it is not 100% ideal in containing the coolant temps without the use of a fan.

SHMO
TurboLark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know someone is getting to run their ecotec around. I am currently building a turbo version powered by a Megasquirt. Block is getting main and head studs, head gets solid lifter conversion, better valve springs and a SCE titan copper head gasket. Built my turbo manifold and have the turbo and wastegate mocked up on my extra engine. Will be keeping the boost to around 7-10lbs to keep power down to under 300hp so as not to grenade the built 091.
Try to post up a video with some sound. I wopuld like to hear how the motor sounds at idle and reved up.
cmiller95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates?

My Rail Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427627

My Baja Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466974
SHMO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is about all I have for updates....haha

PS: the car is still running strong. I just wish I had time to use it!

SHMO
67bugz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are your RPM ranges? where do you do most of your off roading? im in the planning stages of a turbo 3rzfe swap, going to focus on suspension for the moment but from what im reading the VW trans doesnt like the high RPM stuff, do you find this to be the case? what ECU are you running?
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Do you have any pictures of the inside of your trunk up front? I am going to move my beam forward some and I was curious how you treated the inside where the trunk needs trimming with the beam moved forward.

Do you know what type of 2x3 arms you have? Brand or manufacturer?

Steve
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this is an older post but what a wealth of knowledge. Like the old saying goes a picture is worth a thousand words and I for one appreciate the work, workmanship and time spent on the details of this car. Really like the simplicity of the hard to do stuff, subtle touches that make it classy, and functionality of it all. ,

I notice there are several pics that have been lost over time and was wondering if there was any chance you could re post those lost pics to bring this thread back up to current? And as always if you would like to throw up more of the build pics that would be nice as well! Rolling Eyes

Along those lines I'm going down the same path as you blazed with a few exceptions. I'm thinking about losing the windshield frame and making the front hoop of the roll cage the windshield frame just to clean thing up a little.
Thanks again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: