Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

5sp differences?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: 5sp differences? Reply with quote

What all is different about the 5 speed setup? Obviously the transaxle has another gear in it, but is the linkage or shifter stuff different?

Thanks,
-Damon
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
Pengineer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Some parts are the same, I think Reply with quote

I've been going through the Bentley Vanagon manual over the last couple weeks because my Syncro reverse gear dissappeared. There are separate sections in the Bentley for 4 sp, 5sp, and 4WD, but I just found a forward shift rod and gear shift guide box from a 4 spd and it seems to interchange perfectly with my 4WD tranny.

What components of the tranny are you asking about specifically? Have you looked at the Bentley?

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Some parts are the same, I think Reply with quote

Pengineer1 wrote:

What components of the tranny are you asking about specifically? Have you looked at the Bentley?

Bill

Embarassed umm... honestly, i have not looked at the bentley, yet. What I am asking about is how to bolt up a 5 speed tranny (the european/s. african kind) into my '84. I'm pretty sure all i need is a 5sp gearbox and the box that goes under the shifter (just so you don't need to push down to get into 1st gear that would be behind reverse), but i wanted to make sure that i don't need linkage rods or anything silly like that.

I don't know how similar a syncro tranny is to a 2wd 5sp tranny.

-Damon
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for a BIG motor and you will not have to worry so much about a 5 speed. The 5 speed is AWSOME, I admit. I would LOVE to have one, too, I think. But, it is in the $2k+ here in the US no matter how you slice it. Plus, it is a exotic thing. Exotic things are great for collector cars. I am not sure if for a frequently driven car it is a wise choice, come to think about it. BUT, they *ARE* good. No question. The 5 speeds that I built and swapped gears around in for my A1s are all awsome! But, parts for them are EASY to get. My major question besides cost, is how well the Vanagon 5 speed holds up. That and parts, like shifter things that like to wear out.

What is the word on the above concerns?

(I should talk, my van has an automatic.....but, you never know, eh?)

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: