Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil in gas?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VolBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: oil in gas? Reply with quote

I've been having trouble getting my bug to idle so I'm trying to look into new solutions. I have switched from dual webers back to a Solex 34 Pict-3 and still no luck. I have checked and rechecked valves and timing several times. Followed all the different tuning guides I can find for the carbs.

Currently I have the solex on and I am wondering if oil might be getting into the system. I thought I read once that this can happen trhough the fuel pump. What do I look for to see if this is a problem. I notice that I lose oil faster than I think I should and that there is only a very minor oil drip over night (like a couple drops). When I start the car after it has been sitting for a while (over night or after work) white smoke comes out of the exhaust for the first very little part of my drive (minute or so). I also notice a smell that reminds me of a charcoal grill when the car first starts up and if I sit at a light for a long time. At first I thought this was the smell of it being too rich but my plugs do not seem to be black or sooty.

Any thoughts on what I can do?

New 1966 Cosmic Green VW Bug Restoration and Customization site ---> http://66bug.com
or
http://www.DamianKolbay.com <------- Take a look at my Photography Site
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought I read once that this can happen trhough the fuel pump. What do I look for to see if this is a problem.

That causes gas to get in the oil not the other way around.

By the title of your post it appears you are getting oil into the combustion chamber.
Is that the case?

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WagenKult
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the oil smell like gas? If so then you need to change your fuel pump out. A diagphram(sp) that has broken will cause gas to seep into the case. The oil will be thin and smell like gas if there is indeed gas in the oil. Do not drive the car. Fix the problem, then obviously change the oil.
VolBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not exactly sure what I'm getting where, thats what I am trying to figure out. On start up I get heavy white smoke for a short period first minute or so) especially when it first fires up. Then the smoke clears and doesn't reappear until the car has sat for hours and is restarted. I also have not been able to get the car to idle for quite some time. It idled fine for many months and then all of a sudden stopped idling. Since then I have not been able to track down why.

I'll smell my oil this afternoon and see if it seems like gas is getting into it. Is there an easy way to tell if oil is getting into the combustion chamber?

New 1966 Cosmic Green VW Bug Restoration and Customization site ---> http://66bug.com
or
http://www.DamianKolbay.com <------- Take a look at my Photography Site
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
KPottorff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't have to look very hard to see if fuel is seeping down into the crankcase through the pump. The level on the dipstick will probably be way high.

Fuel can also go down the mainfold if the carb float is bad and you park the car on a slight incline - ask me how I know. I had just changed the oil and had to do it again.

Oil getting past the rings will show as black fluff on the plugs. Oil doesn't burn completely as gasoline does (longer hydrocarbon chains) and so leaves deposits.
Speedy
Samba Member

Location: Cape Fort St. Port River Inlet Bay Coast Canal Beach, the median on Hurricane Highway, Florida.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your pump was leaking gas in the oil your oil level would be high-er than normal and you should be able to smell it right away when you pull out the dipstick.

From what you describe I would guess your engine is burning oil, re-check your valves and do a leakdown test on all four cylinders. That should tell you if you have broken or worn out piston rings.

Rick

Wanted:
A.J. Pierson VW Tag Frame - Orlando FL.
Original Solid Ragtop or Convertible Beetle In Central Florida!
(O\ ! /O)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: