Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Tire Clearance on a Lowered Bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lowdowndub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Rear Tire Clearance on a Lowered Bus Reply with quote

I had my bus lowered last spring, about 3 to 4 inches front a rear.
I took it to Les Schwab's one day to have the tires rotated and they couldn't get tires off the rear.(Not enough clearence between the wheel well and tires). So I figured that I have the wrong shocks in the rear and they aren't letting the tires drop down enough when the bus is jacked up.(The shocks work great otherwise). So I jacked it up, and released the bottom shock bolts. I still could bearly get the tires off.
Does anyone else have this problem. I'm running 195/70R14s for tires.
If I ever get a flat, i'm screwed. Please help!

-LDD
GeoffP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing we used to do with the very low buses was to let the air out of the tire so one side is flat, jack up the bus and rotate the tire over until the flat spot is on top the slide it out. This should work in your case, just make sure you do it somewhere with a air line so you can fill them up once swaped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem. couldnt get the wheels on or off. I've ended up taking off the lowering stuff. Looked great but it was SOOO stiff! Hows your ride?
lowdowndub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bus definitly rides a lot stiffer, but it's not bad. I've taken it into the mountains and on road trips and it's been OK. Mainly have to watchout for speed bump and pot holes. Smile I don't mind because it looks bad ass!

-LDD
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my bus lowered in the back 2 splines and a Bus Boys ajustable beam on the front. I'm running Empi 5 spokes w/adapters.Tires are the new Continental 175-55-15s (same size as 135s) I do have a little wigglin and cussing to get the rears on and off, but I would'nt say I'm screwed with a flat. I'm looking into getting a set of air shocks for the back as the torsion arm is resting the frame stop at the top of the travel, Wavepimp got a set at AutoZone I need to check out.
Billet_Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im using 175-55-15s on the front of my 64 and they arent even close to the same size as 135. They are 1.5" wider and 1" shorter in diameter.

Also im using 195-50s in the rear and i dont have any probs taken them off. Maybe its cuase i dont have my engine yet, positive camber sucks Evil or Very Mad

Also dont ask for more then 2" of movement from airshocks unless you pumpin 200psi and you might get 3"s

CTD Fabrication
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only stating what the ad said for the tires at Old Volk.com. They want $149.95 each for them and I got them locally for $52.oo!
Billet_Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, nice price. Were they used?

I paid $201 for 2 mounted and balanced from discount, not a bad deal for the quality tire.

Heh, do your tires say they "save gas" too? Damn frence write some weird stuff on their sidewalls Confused

CTD Fabrication
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saves Fuel & Reduces CO2 Emission! Mounted ballanced a set of 4 $216.oo plus tx. I thought of buying a couple o pair and selling them on the Samba.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: