Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WW sheet metal ?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: WW sheet metal ? Reply with quote

I have had good results with quality from everything I've bought from WW but these rear panels seem kinda cheap if I go with the "get what you pay for" theory.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111809086CA

Anybody have experience welding these in? My ragtop has some rust through in these areas but I don't want to fu*k it up worse by using inferior. ill fitting sheet.
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used some of the bus sheetmetal, its thin and you always have to do something to it to make it fit, sometimes thats a given.
CUSHE63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought them from WW. I am very happy with the fit and thickness. Check out my link for pictures.I only trimmed off the rear, in the wheelhouse area and the door jamb. They give you plenty to work with.

Steve
'59 Beetle

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v318/CUSHE63/59%20Beetle%202/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: WW sheet metal ? Reply with quote

vwjedi wrote:
I have had good results with quality from everything I've bought from WW but these rear panels seem kinda cheap if I go with the "get what you pay for" theory.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111809086CA

Anybody have experience welding these in? My ragtop has some rust through in these areas but I don't want to fu*k it up worse by using inferior. ill fitting sheet.

After welding in lots of aftermarket metal doing a rusty vert, I will NEVER use after market again. I would look for one of the used parts vendors to cut whatever you need off a parts car. They will fit, have the correct thickness of metal and the correct contours. I do see people selling NOS quarter panels in the classifieds also.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CUSHE63--DAMN! That is wantin' to save a '59 beetle, you are doing some serious rust repair. I see stuff like this and think my car is pretty solid. Very Happy

Thanks for the great photos, I am afraid heater channels might be in the future too. Confused Did you use WW channels too?

I like the looks of the WW orange pans you used too mang, I've heard good things. I have done very little welding but you look pretty cozy with it, nice job.

westcoastfukinVW69- I had an OG front clip that I was going to fix my front end but it was so nasty I just used a WW front apron and did some shade tree dent pulling.

Turned out decent, hella better than the previous shot out bondo bomb version I had. Rolling Eyes

CUSHE63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes, it was a rusty POS.... But I do Auto collision work for a living and total resto's for the owner of the dealership I work for. I am his "Metal" man. We are in between jobs for him so I thought I'd try something for myself. The heater channels I used were from cip1. They fit ok. I had to make slight mods to the defroster tube on the left side. Other than that they worked nicely.

You look like you did good with that front clip. I had to pull my right front.

Steve

'59 Beetle
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="vwjedi
westcoastfukinVW69- I had an OG front clip that I was going to fix my front end but it was so nasty I just used a WW front apron and did some shade tree dent pulling.

westcoastfukin? Nice...........anyway, I would look for DECENT/non rusted out or dented used panels. I bought panels from the best of the best in quality VW vendors and none of it was that great in my opinion. Yes, an expert like the gentleman doing the rust repair in this link can make it work but after buying used German metal, nothing is easier to install.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CUSHE63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
[quote="vwjedi

westcoastfukin? Nice...........anyway, I would look for DECENT/non rusted out or dented used panels. I bought panels from the best of the best in quality VW vendors and none of it was that great in my opinion. Yes, an expert like the gentleman doing the rust repair in this link can make it work but after buying used German metal, nothing is easier to install.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have good old German sheet metal to work with. That would be great !! But here in the midwest just about all that is here is rusty junk. I went to a VW junkyard a couple hrs away yesterday and everything I need was rust city. I think I went the best way, For me at least. I still need to fabricate the inner 1/4's and the front trunk floor where the gas heater was. Rust in trough and big sloppy cut hole in that area. Or find a good donor for these parts..

Steve

'59 Beetle
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CUSHE63 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
[quote="vwjedi

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have good old German sheet metal to work with. That would be great !! But here in the midwest just about all that is here is rusty junk. I went to a VW junkyard a couple hrs away yesterday and everything I need was rust city. I think I went the best way, For me at least. I still need to fabricate the inner 1/4's and the front trunk floor where the gas heater was. Rust in trough and big sloppy cut hole in that area. Or find a good donor for these parts..

Steve

'59 Beetle

Steve- I certainly feel for you not having any places close by to secure these used panels. Hell, w/the skills your demonstrating, you can make what's available new work much better than most of us.
I am lucky to live in Arizona where there are plenty of used parts available in non-rusted shape.
Keep up the good work your doing and keep sharing photos.

vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arizona? Lucky ass, I was out in New Mexico visiting freinds and everyone was driving friggin unrestored 57 Chevy's for grocery getters and using solid oval window bodies as front yard planters, it was rediculous. Shocked

Here in Florida those cars would have returned to the earth as minerals by now. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the input guys, the Danish heater channels seem like a sure bet but I will try to search out some OG panels, thanks again.
CUSHE63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna be in Pheonix in 2 weeks. I hope to see some bugs there.. Maybe a boneyard or 2..

Steve

ps. Thanks for the compliments. It's always good to hear them !!!

'59 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: