Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cruise Control-How?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonfire709
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Cruise Control-How? Reply with quote

I am doing the old dash board boogy, and fixing all the bits that havent worked on my westy since i've had her. Now I have found the cruise control box. It is getting power, but will not engage.

My question is, should it engage just stood on the driveway with the engine running for testing purposes, or does it have to be travelling at a minimum speed? How is the cruise control supposed to work? Do I have to hold the speed set button for several seconds, or should it be instant?

Thanks in advance! Question
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All cruise units will operate when the vehicle is traveling at a minimum of 35 MPH or above. The vacuum unit that pulls the throttle gets it's signal from the "box" which in turn operates from a RPM signal. This RPM signal is either a magnet on the drive shaft (or axles on our VW's), or a Tach signal. It would make no sense for the cruise to ingage at idle, as the vehicle could not move itself at this RPM speed.
You should only have to press the button (without holding it) to get it to set. Make sure there is a brake cancel device (all cruise units disable themselves when the brake is applied; some even have a disable switch on the clutch as well. Look around the brake pedal for a switch with wires running to the cruise "box". You may also have a "resume, accel, and de-accel button/switch. Resume will set the cruise speed back to the last "set" speed if the brake was applied, or other reason the cruise was stopped. Accel/de-accel will speed up/slow down the speed from the set speed, and resume at that speed. These buttons/switches are either mounted on the dash or turn signal; depends on the kit. For futher info, do a search of the company that made it on the internet. You may find the manual in PDF form on their site. JC Whitney still sells cruise units, and some parts stores like Pep Boys sell them too.

Take it out on a deserted road and get it in 4th gear, above 35 MPH and try again.

Last edited by bucko on Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
dragonfire709
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bucko. I thought that would be the case. Ill just have to wait till i've got it all back together and find a deserted road(not many of those round here).

Its a pain, because it starts to get dark at about 1630 now-which means i have to wait till the weekend to do anything meaningful!
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our 91, it takes a second or two for the cruise to engage. It took me a while to figure it out on the first long drive home, because I was used to the much quicker response that the trucks I drive at work have.

Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremysmithatshawdotca wrote:
On our 91, it takes a second or two for the cruise to engage. It took me a while to figure it out on the first long drive home, because I was used to the much quicker response that the trucks I drive at work have.

Jeremy

That might be because there is a bit too much slack in the cruise "pull" cable. You might want to check that out.

On my Motorcycle cruise, this slack gets ajusted by running a "diagnostic"; you start the bike, get it to idle (warmed up) at 1K RPM, then push and hold the "SET" button which causes the cruise cable to "learn" and take out the slack.

I'm sure the cruise on cars do not have this feature, but most likely have some sort of adjustment for this.
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vanagon gets its speed from a VSS sensor that is mounted on the back of the speedometer. There is a two prong plug sticking out the back of the speedo and a white two prong female connector that goes on it. Most of the original cruise control had problems with the vacuum lines or the vacuum actuator (which is the same on a whole host of VW's). If the actuator's rubber is cracked, chances are it will not work.

Vacuum and grounds the two major gremlins of vanagons.....
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JoshG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having trouble with my cruise control as well. It was working just fine when I bought the van 2 years ago. It recently started acting up, however. After pressing the set button it responds as if to set the desired speed, but then it just slowly fades away (slows down). I get the sense that it is trying to work but, for what ever reason, it cannot hold the speed.

Any idea?

P.S. Its a Tiico if that changes anything.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the vacuum canister for a leak. It will be a "ball" looking device that has a chain or cable that connects to the throttle. If it is bleeding down, then it cannot hold the throttle in the desired speed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: