Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bumper switch
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: bumper switch Reply with quote

hey guys. i am looking into getting a new front bumper for my 77. i want one of the ealier bumpers with the foot steps. will this fit on mine?
thanks
drew
Island Bwoy 420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude with some imagination and some time anything can be done. I am sure lots of people have done this. Just wait for them to wake up and post tomorrow about it. lol.

Kyle
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not going to work without doing some cutting and welding. Starting in '73 the new crumple area was added where the bumper mounts. If you take a look behind the bumper you can see where part of the body protrudes out into the bumper from the nose. You can see it here on Ratwell's site http://homepage.mac.com/ratwell/78_Westy/PhotoAlbum53.html On the '68-'72 this area was flat more like the split window bus.

VW Campmobile, it goes on vacation with you.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 73-79 bus is about 2 inches longer because the front bumper is further forward. It's not going to look right with the older style bumper and the steps won't line up unless you grind away the energy absorbing support on the body behind it. Bad idea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Homeboy WavePimp did that to his bus and is looking for a 72 rear bumper,somthin to do w/ the way the bumper mounts line upto the .frame
orangeeyesore
Samba Bammer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i considered this when i found a 70 front bumper laying around but talked myself out of it. early bumpers are real cool but it would be one hell of a job to tackle.

As it says, who have you got as a quote in your signature line and why?
Drew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: ok... Reply with quote

so i decided not to. I do have the over riders on mine and that looks pretty cool. i am just trying to get more of a vintage look out of it. any other idears? i was thinking maybe the plain hubcaps, seein how mine need to be replaced anyhow. there isnt alot of selection of decent buses around here on the east coast, so this being my 3rd and the nicest of all i think im gonna stick with it. so idears on how to make a bay look older?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: