Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Destroyed ignition switch
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCalDunkman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Destroyed ignition switch Reply with quote

Anyone have an idea how I can replace my switch cheaply? I destoyed mine on my 71 bus trying to get it to work. I mean really destroyed it! Mad
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean the lock cylinder or the switch below it? Both are still available: the lock cylinder is from brazil and inexpensive, the switch runs $20-$50 depending where you buy it and who makes it. I'd get it from CIP1.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's some info on how to replace it....hopefully you mean the electrical part as it is fairly easy. But don't be in a hurry.

http://www.type2.com/library/electrip/igbay.htm

http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/spooky/barrel/barrel.html

http://www.type2.com/library/electrip/ignwire.htm
Remember - You are required to get older but you are not required to grow up!
62 SC & 66 Bus
thenexttownshend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my Ignition switch on my '73 bus wouldnt work ( i dont think i was givin the right key) so my way of replacing it is... I bought a cheap ignition switch and push button starter switch, they go for about 3 bucks apeice at wal-mart. If you remove the secton taht has your odometer and other gauges, you can easily get at the igniton wires...A $5 12v testor will show you which wire has the current from the battery, and you can follow the wires from the starter, and you can hook it all up. You dont have to get the push button. thats just my choice, itll be so i turn the key, then ill have to push the button to get the starter to crank. And instead of taking the old igntion out, im putting the new one in the hole of the cigarette lighter, i dont smoke anyways. youll probaly also have to buy some extra wire. All togeather i spent $18 bucks. Cheap enough for you?

-1973 Bus Type II
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OrangeWesty'73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend has a similiar setup on his 69 westy. Instead of a cheap ignition
however, there is a toggle and a pushbutton. Flip the toggle, push the button to start. Got to remember to flip the toggle when your done though.
This was all done with spare parts. very cheap. ugly.. but cheap.
Bookwus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya SoCal,

Know this before you start in on this project.............

The ignition switch in your VW Bus is actually a group of three components contained in a cast cylindrical housing. From the driver's seat the first component starting from the right is the ignition keyswitch. This unit is very hardy. Difficult to screw up (but, hey, anything IS possible). The second component in the switch is the column steering lock. There's just about no way you're going to "break" this lock. Lack of proper lubrication and dirt can jam it up - but that can be undone with a little TLC. The final component is the electrical contact switch. This is the part which most often fails.

I would recommend that you disassemble the entire housing to see just where the trouble is. Then simply purchase the part you'll need to fix it. For example, the keyswitch can be had for about $13US, the electrical switch is about $25US. Or you can fast, cheap, and dirty as others have suggested.

Mike

1970 Bus - The Ruptured Duck
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
SoCalDunkman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

OHH YEA that was a very tough switch; I took a hammer,a drill, then a grider with a cut off wheel to it. And it's still undefeated. I will try to fix it the right way- Thanks for the link to those very detialed instructions. What kind of satanic man created the mounting method of that switch? Twisted Evil
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they called it tamper proof. The idea was probably to have you buy a new bus every time the switch broke. Or at minimum promote dealer service. Good luck, most of the time you still need it even with the instructions. I really sympathise if you tried it without pictures or book!
Remember - You are required to get older but you are not required to grow up!
62 SC & 66 Bus
Bookwus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya All,

Actually it is a VERY tough and exasperating job the first time around and that's a good thing (read on). I've heard others say that it took them hours just to crack the ignition lock housing. I know that was the case for me.
But once you've figured out the procedure, it's a snap. It's so easy, in fact, it's a bit scary. For instance, it would take me less than a minute (probably 30 seconds) to remove your keyswitch, insert mine, and drive away using my key. Just proved to me that all busowners should be thinking of good backup security system for their rides.

Mike

1970 Bus - The Ruptured Duck
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

SoCalDunkman wrote:
What kind of satanic man created the mounting method of that switch?

Someone at VW who received complaints for 30 years that VWs were stolen to easily.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: