Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Bus and 1500 miles!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Island Bwoy 420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: New Bus and 1500 miles! Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=6763&item=2451347255

Ok theres the new baby. I now have to make a road trip to go get this thing. I have to go from WI to FL with no snow driving expierence yet. My question is that when I go I need to know what are the most common things I should bring.

So far my list is -
-Distributor
-My new Pertronix kit
-Bosch Blue Coil
-Plugs
-Oil
-Tranny Fluid (What does everyone use?)
-All Metric box wrenches and sockets
-Sleeping Bag!
-New Plug Wires
-Fuel Hose (What size?)
-Fuel filter
-The guy is giving me 3 spare tires too

-Anything else I should bring with me or anything I should know before driving this bus 1500 miles? The owner has used this very little in the past year and a half, so I will drain the tank and refill it. I am getting prepared for this trip ahead of time for a change so any help you guys can provide the better! Anyone wanna let me in on snow and ice driving? Should I get chains or something? Dont know much about this thing you call snow. I should also ask if anyone wants to deliver it for a fee, I was quoted what I paid for it to have it delivered.

Thanks

I wish I could keep both but the other vw has to go, WHO WANTS IT?! CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!

4-2-0 Theres no time to be taking your time so spark it up!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New Bus and 1500 miles! Reply with quote

Island Bwoy 420 wrote:
My question is that when I go I need to know what are the most common things I should bring.

This is going to turn into a long thread I'm sure. AIRS List! (like calling shutgun!)

Quote:
-My new Pertronix kit

Smart.

Quote:
-Plugs

Bosch W7CC or NGK B6ES

Quote:
-Tranny Fluid (What does everyone use?)

Really smart. Get a gallon of GL4 from Napa/etc (not the 140W stuff).

Quote:
-Fuel Hose (What size?)

Get 4 feet of 7mm high pressure fuel hose. Do not use anything else especially anything fractional like 5/16" hose. If you are changing fuel lines you may want to use new FI hose clamps not the cheapo kind. I'd prefer the originals to the cheapo kind.

Quote:
Anyone wanna let me in on snow and ice driving? Should I get chains or something? Dont know much about this thing you call snow.

You could take some chains. I'd rely on a weather forecasts to plan your route. You're biggest problem where it's cold in my opinion will be heat. You may have none on that bus so plan to drive through nothern states with NO HEAT.

As for tools and parts I'll let others chime in. If it was me and I could carry anything I wanted to the seller and had a few hours in his driveway I'd do the following if possible:

- lube chassis with grease gun
- change all 4 brake hoses
- inspect pads, adjust, bleed with new fluid
- put on a new oil filter and change the oil for winter
- take along 2 valve cover gaskets
- change alternator belt
- change air filter
- take a spare clutch cable and clevis pin

Do not disturb any of the FI vacuum hoses. They are weird metric sizes and you don't want to tear one have no way to patch it and get stranded.

Installing an oil pressure gauge seems extreme. Checking it with a manual gauge before setting off could be insightful.

Good luck and may the frost be with you!

Last edited by ratwell on Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAA or AA!
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

three bottle of gasline antifreeze.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

driving in snow- take your time, treat your gas and brake pedals like they are cartons of eggs- take it slow and easy applying either one. steer into a skid. allow four times as much room as usual between you and the car ahead of you. if your brakes lock up, get off the pedal, gently get back on and gently pump the brakes.

With no snow experience, i'd recommend waiting until spring.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

throttle cable, clutch cable. and buy A UNION SUIT! bundle up my friend, the wind blows cooler in these here northern parts! lol. good luck with the new buggy, and, as chab said, AAA Plus.
dave

79 westy
78 westy

purveyor of refurbed westies and parts!!! inquire within!

Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably get it shipped to you for about $500. At least you could work on it where it is warm and not worry too much about driving in the weather.

Send an e-mail off to VWbuskid. I think he is doing that from Detroit to GA for about that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would talk to some shipping companies. Like Randy said $500 could get it for you and it would be worth the expense. It would be a 3 day trip anyways and you cant predict the weather. You would be spending food, gas and time so it would be well worth it. I would be careful driving something I just bought online 1500 miles before inspecting it ---- You would also need to contact the bureau to register it to drive, and put insurance on it...its a hassle. What if you land on the side of the road? I would ship it man...be careful.
Rich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bus looks like a nice start. My bus sits for a long time only when there is something seriously wrong with it.

I'm all for an adventure, but be sensible. Your talking about potentially below zero temps, frostbite and worse. It takes some experieicne to be able to quickly diagnose and repair.

Good luck,
Rich '72 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Island Bwoy 420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I have def. considered all this before I make a decesion. I was quoted 720 and 690 to have it shipped. Who knows were I can find it for 500? I am confident that the vehicle is in good shape as a mechanic owns it now and I have pictures of everything, I mean everything! I would love to ship it so I dont have to take off or work. I can see it taking 4 or 5 days in the winter to do. I should calculate my costs for travel and compare it to the lowest shipping rate I could find. Ill let you guys know if I do decide to do this. I will look up shipping companies. Anyone have anything good to say about one they have used? Thanks

Kyle
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a forum about shipping companies, Look in the history search if you can find it, type shipping for a keyword. There are hundreds of shippers on the west coast. When I shipped my Bus on the East coast I must have talked to 100 different companies to ship the bus 700 miles. Becuase I live in the boonies didnt help the situation. Some shipping companies gave me a rediculous price of $1400 and some were around $400. It helps to check around.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kyle,

When I had my bus shipped, it was cheaper to go terminal to terminal. I had the seller drive the bus to one close to him (about 40 miles) and it came to their terminal in Boston (about 75 miles from me) for less cash than a door to door type thing.

Perhaps having the PO drive to to Milwaukee/Minneapolis and you picking it up in Miami/Tampa or something might work for a better price.

I used Dependable Auto Shippers, but I have only done it once. I didn't have any problems.

You will figure out something. Enjoy the new bus! Should be an interesting one, eh?
Island Bwoy 420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so! It looks nice all around in better condition interior wise than mine. I am up in the air because I like my current body and paint over the "new" bus. But the new bus has better brakes, engine and tranny and AC underdash unit. So I am not sure what I am going to do. It would be less work to replace small metal areas with new sheat metal and redo the paint then to switch brakes, engine, tranny, headliner and A/C. I will do this bus up like I planned to do the other up. I am glad this one is manual because of parts availability. I cant wait to take it on other road trips.

Kyle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: