Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'74 Wheel Questions
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: '74 Wheel Questions Reply with quote

I'm looking to replace my stock 14" rims with 15's, Probably chrome stock VW style (the tires I bought in '94 need replacing, so I figured I'd get new rims while I'm at it). I've heard that I can't get rims made for a 5-lug bug, only the transporter, and that a '74 is different from a '73 in this repect. Anyone know if this is true, and some good sources for '74 thing rims (for stock 5-lug drums)? The Thing shop has them for $85 a piece, but if anyone has any advice on good rim/tire combos, please let me know.
z-volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: tires Reply with quote

I have a 74 and went with the 15 inch chromes and 205 75 15's dueller A/T's no problem like the height and ride, great on the sand and dirt check out nokian a little more $'s watch the overall height got to tirerack.com

this is what it would look like

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/133215.jpg
pjmacua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: wheels for the Thing Reply with quote

Hello

You can have a look here:
http://www.geocities.com/pj2macua/jantesus.html

Regards
Pierre-J MACUA
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Rim Follow-up Reply with quote

The 15x5.5 chrome rims the Thing Shop sells for $85 each say "correct offset for VW Thing," but you can get 15x5.5 5-lug chrome rims from J-Bugs for $240 for all four. Offsets are not listed. Do the Thing Shop rims have a different offset than the 5-lug bug/bus/thing rims from J-Bugs & other vendors? If they're the same, I'd rather save a few bucks...
z-volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: wheels Reply with quote

Got mine from rocky mountain they work fine go with the 5.5 offset $69 ea.

http://www.motorworks.com/search2.asp?flddopdown=1...ct_model=1

Good luck!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: