Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split Air cleaner?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But like what was mentioned above, the oil bath didn't appear until late '52. Hoffman cars were sold from '50 through '53.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
But like what was mentioned above, the oil bath didn't appear until late '52. Hoffman cars were sold from '50 through '53.

My point was you said they were an improvement over T aircleaners given in North America, and I mentioned the fact the most US cars didn't get T aircleaners, rather Cyclonic ones.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
lurkinstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: split aircleaner Reply with quote

I am no expert. I am just going off of what i have seen. My march 52 Split that was exported to Sweden. I got it in August, it is a numbers matching car, came with the cyclonic. I figured , because alot of the splits you see coming out of Sweden these days have the cyclonic. The cold! Think
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: split aircleaner Reply with quote

lurkinstock wrote:
I am no expert. I am just going off of what i have seen. My march 52 Split that was exported to Sweden. I got it in August, it is a numbers matching car, came with the cyclonic. I figured , because alot of the splits you see coming out of Sweden these days have the cyclonic. The cold! Think

Maybe. Most of the cyclonics were sent for "dusty conditions", I believe.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
Bengt H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a paper from the VW headoffice dated 1 jan -52 that says that all cars imported to Sweden had cyclonefilter from that date. When it ended I dont know!
kafer53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
I thought T aircleaners when into the zwitters? Then the wingnut version?

I've seen some zwitter split engines with the "coffee can" style and some with the single strap one.
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riddle solved.

Per progressive refinements (aka the Bible), on August 20, 1952 - chassis 382-029 - "Oil Bath Aircleaner - Now Fitted in a number of cases".

Strap aircleaner was introduced on January 2, 1953 - chassi 428221.

The oil bath aircleaner was standard equipment on all models on December 21, 1953 - chassis 575415

The oilbath aircleaner was changed on March 1, 1955 for an "overhead type - lateral arrangement"

This one was changed on August 1, 1957 with "Modified shape oil bath air cleaner - (higher but of smaller outside diameter").

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev, Its all about the mushroom air filter anyway! Cool
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell a real mushroom from a later industrial one by the lack of a seam on the bottom edge like the real one in the picture above, the newer ones had a different intake screen on the bottom too, and of course the new ones have a 9 digit part number with a 122(?) at the front, I think above I should have said that I thought the early wing nut oil bath filter was a "variation" and not an "accessory" they were indeed installed by the factory and were unlikely available anywhere else, I wish that either of my Hoffman splits had aircleaners on them when I got them, but unfortunately I had to pick and find mine elsewhere, Cycleone aircleaners seem to be extremely rare in America though, I had one for a while but I thought it was inferior to the larger filtering area of a regular T type, I think the idea behind the cyclone was for extremely dusty areas it was much easier to clean out than the T was and it would reject larger dirt particles through the vortex design of the intake slots, nice to see another wing nut cleaner turn up though, I have only seen two other ones myself and I think one was pretty wasted, definately high up there on the rarity scale
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: aircleaner Reply with quote

Kevin Maddock wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Well common in the split world I mean, I seem to see at least one per week for sale on the samba or Epay I rarley see the othes except for the later mushroom air clean used on industrail engines ect not the early rare real ones. I never have seen the strap cleaner with the wing nut for sale.

What are the differences between early (rare) mushroom aircleaners and late industrial ones ? are they different makes ?

Thanks
Kev

The very earlest type had a more rounded top and some if not all had no stampings.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Split Air cleaner? Reply with quote

digging up an old thread . is this the early one you speak of? forget where
I got it . it is more rounded than my 45-47 one. is it the infamous (rare)
mushroom? or re-production? I can not find a current re-pop ? think I got it in Germany. bad camberg maybe? no markings on top. Steve Smile

66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Split Air cleaner? Reply with quote

While on the topic of air cleaners....has anyone ever fitted a T air cleaner to a 36hp engine? The issue of course is the 26mm diameter of an original 25hp carb, and with a 36hp you have the larger 28mm.

Is there a way? I don't plan to drive a 25hp in modern traffic in my 50. Thanks.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Air cleaner? Reply with quote

It works fine. The diameter of the mouth of the 36hp carb is the same as a 26 vfis and the center line of the inlet tube on the intake is the same so there are no issues.

This was my old '50 that had a 36hp in it.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Air cleaner? Reply with quote

Thanks Chris. Solid intel. Appreciate it.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: