Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door not fitting right??
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Door not fitting right?? Reply with quote

I am trying to get my driver door mounted up, I have the spacers in place and just can't seem to get it just right. It won't close from hitting the top edge?? WTF?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The drip rail looks as though it may have a slight bend to it not following the body lines correctly, does this seem apparent to anyone else? Here is the passenger side lined up all pretty.

The passenger door has a nice tight gap at the front edge:

But it is like 8mm at the rear edge?

[/img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/319523.jpg[img]

Driver door front and rear gapped larger than 10mm?
[/img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/319519.jpg[img]
[/img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/319520.jpg[img][/img]
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Door not fitting right?? Reply with quote

vwjedi wrote:
I am trying to get my driver door mounted up, I have the spacers in place and just can't seem to get it just right. It won't close from hitting the top edge?? WTF?

The drip rail looks as though it may have a slight bend to it not following the body lines correctly, does this seem apparent to anyone else? Here is the passenger side lined up all pretty.

The passenger door has a nice tight gap at the front edge:

But it is like 8mm at the rear edge?

Driver door front and rear gapped larger than 10mm?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwjedi,

I don't know what the problem is but obviously it's mechanical and that's how I'd approach it. First, VW made only one size door for one size of car in any particular year so unless somebody messed with your frame at some unknown time you should assume the door was meant to fit.

(This is not always the case; 25 years ago I converted a wrecked Bug to a Baja configuration and spent too much time trying to make the parts fit. I eventually realized what the problem was and fixed it with a few swings of a heavy hammer, but this sort of problem is not to be expected.)

That lump on the top of the door is a deffinite stopper and should be fixed first because it is an obvious problem. Check inside the frame where it would hit and see if the paint is scraped. Get rid of the lump and see how the door aligns. It's deffinitely canted downhill toward the rear, but if that door should fit that frame and you put the shims back like you found them, maybe you aren't the first person to access the shims. It might have been easier for a PO to move shims than fix the ding, but there's no law against stupidity.

If this is really causing you to drop wood, take the door completely off the hinges, get a bunch of clothespins, and make sure it will fit in any position at all. The closepin legs (lose the springs first) make sweet shims for this sort of job and will show you if the door and frame are square to each other. Of course, you won't get the door aligned correctly the first time unless you're a lot more practiced in this than I am but you will get it aligned. Outline the position of the hinges with a fine pen before you remove them to give yourself a starting point for re-installation.

Good luck. I'm going to do about the same thing with my '67 Bug but I have the advantage of knowing that a +300 lb person owned the car before me and needed to hang on the door when she attempted to extracate herself from it, so I have a good idea where to start looking.

-Randy
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spacers? What door spacers? What ever they are, remove them. Check the hinges themselves. Are they bent? They usually bend due to no check rod and being opened too far.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, lets see?

1.The original door, which also was replaced at one time because the paint did not match the OG Ruby red of the rest of the car, was bent outward from the inside like a Lays potato chip= ditched that bitch.

2. Got a new door with hinges mounted, looked a helluva lot straighter than the first, perhaps needs some tweeking at the top edge? Otherwise looks pretty good.

3. I think the drip rail looks ever so slightly bent down from possible fat ass pulling himself out, the driver seat was all fucked up too but aren't they all?

4. Car was tapped in the nose and I welded on new apron, didn't seem to involve the front quarters?

5. Both doors have these little metal spacers at the hinges, I thought they were stock? I don't know this sheet mang, it was the first time I've pulled doors off for full bodied repaint.
Scott Faivre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How straight are the hinges? If the hinges are bent from hyper extension, you'll have a lot of fun trying to line those up. And if the door was on the car when the hinge got bent up, there's a chance the mounting spots on the B pillar jams are tweaked as well.
Let's hope that is NOT your case!

Scott Faivre
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Faivre wrote:
How straight are the hinges? If the hinges are bent from hyper extension, you'll have a lot of fun trying to line those up. And if the door was on the car when the hinge got bent up, there's a chance the mounting spots on the B pillar jams are tweaked as well.
Let's hope that is NOT your case!

Scott Faivre

Uhhhg. Rolling Eyes
MacGyver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would look pretty sweet if you went ahead and left the doors off.
My nuts are fantastic!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Faivre wrote:
How straight are the hinges? If the hinges are bent from hyper extension, you'll have a lot of fun trying to line those up.

Hey, that's what I wrote Mad See-

RareAir wrote:
Check the hinges themselves. Are they bent? They usually bend due to no check rod and being opened too far.

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Scott Faivre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
Scott Faivre wrote:
How straight are the hinges? If the hinges are bent from hyper extension, you'll have a lot of fun trying to line those up.

Hey, that's what I wrote Mad See-

RareAir wrote:
Check the hinges themselves. Are they bent? They usually bend due to no check rod and being opened too far.

Sorry about that! I'm always too easily distracted by the honey with big jugs in your avatars! Very Happy

Scott Faivre
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He,He....... he said Jugs. Laughing

Rareair and Scott allways seem to answer my questions well. Thanks guys. Very Happy

Sweet leaving the doors off huh,....I don't think so mang. Rolling Eyes

Gainesville GA is about 4 hours from me, this little gem is starting to sound pretty appealling. Pop rivet on my MAF code and graft in my ragtop! Very Happy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=394166
Migit
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you dare graft in a ragtop..... Guys like me who are constantly searching for a hardtop is good shape will hunt you down. There are more than enough OG rags out there to start your project please leave the hardtops alone.
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Migit wrote:
Don't you dare graft in a ragtop..... Guys like me who are constantly searching for a hardtop is good shape will hunt you down. There are more than enough OG rags out there to start your project please leave the hardtops alone.

Rolling Eyes Yeah, sure since you said not too I'll put the saw-zall and MIG down immediately, glad you chimmed in.

I'll keep working at it, thanks for the input.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: