Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bumper bolt / Muffler Question.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bay Window Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Bumper bolt / Muffler Question. Reply with quote

Two questions. First, when I liberated my bus from Junkyard hell, it was missing a few parts, with one being the muffler. Here is my question. I recently replaced the exhaust on my bug with a header/fat boy set up. I have the muffler off it, which was quite costly, because its ceramic coated. Now I'm not above buying a bus muffler. Its no big deal, but I hate to have this bug muffler just lying around if I can use it. What is the difference? I mean, with a Type 1 motor setup, it should just bolt right up, right? The Bus is a '69, and the Beetle a '70. I guess what I am asking is, what justifies me spending another $200 or so on a good bus muffler when I have this one already?

Secondly, I need to re-install the bumpers. What size bolts hold those on?

Thanks for all the help.

Member: WTKHABG

Original Air Cooler Member
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most bug mufflers will fit the early bay but if it's a stock 2 peashooter one it's going to come very, very close to your bumper (may rattle). You will also have to add a cutout in your apron.

As well the 2 peashooter muff doesn't give you the torque that a single tip will.

Which bumper bolts do you mean? Bracket to frame? or bracket to bumper or bumper to dogleg?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Bay Window Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm sorry, bracket to frame in the front, bumper to bracket in the rear.

I see about the muffler. Okay, no reason to half ass it, so I'll just order me a bus muffler.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Bay Window Steve on Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Most bug mufflers will fit the early bay but if it's a stock 2 peashooter one it's going to come very, very close to your bumper (may rattle). You will also have to add a cutout in your apron.

Neither of these statements are true. I have run nothing but bug mufflers on my bus the whole time I have had it. There is plenty of clearance provided the bumper, brackets and apron are not bent.

You do want to use the stock single tip exhaust but not because it gives any more power or torque than the beetle one (it doesnt) but because it places exhaust gas in the slipstream instead of the pocket of negative air pressure in the back where it can work its way into the passenger compartment.
Bay Window Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that is it then? If that's the case, then I should just use what I have. Hmm.

Anyone know about the bumper bolts, or where I might look to see?

60's Burnout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Neither of these statements are true. I have run nothing but bug mufflers on my bus the whole time I have had it. There is plenty of clearance provided the bumper, brackets and apron are not bent.

You do want to use the stock single tip exhaust but not because it gives any more power or torque than the beetle one (it doesnt) but because it places exhaust gas in the slipstream instead of the pocket of negative air pressure in the back where it can work its way into the passenger compartment."

What do you do with the second hole in the bug muffler?
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

60's Burnout wrote:
"Neither of these statements are true. I have run nothing but bug mufflers on my bus the whole time I have had it. There is plenty of clearance provided the bumper, brackets and apron are not bent.

You do want to use the stock single tip exhaust but not because it gives any more power or torque than the beetle one (it doesnt) but because it places exhaust gas in the slipstream instead of the pocket of negative air pressure in the back where it can work its way into the passenger compartment."

What do you do with the second hole in the bug muffler?

You install two peashooter tail pipes in the two holes of the bug muffler if that is what you are going to use.

Step said "You do want to use the stock single tip exhaust " and gave the dead-on reasoning that you should find the single outlet bus muffler and install the damper pipe that exits left.
He himself does not mind exhaust working its way into the passenger compartment of his bus over years of using bug mufflers. Can't you tell? Razz
Colin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: