Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eberspacher Heater
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
murdoch44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Eberspacher Heater Reply with quote

I have a Eberspacher Type BN4 gas heater that I would like to install into my 73 Westy. I am looking for a source for control knobs and an information source that will provide insight into the installation and operation of that type of heater. I've got the fire extinguisher that I hope I never need. Thanks
Murdoch44
Adventurewagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from alot of other posts I have read about heaters, they sound like they are a pain to install and maintain. Even the books mention some of the dangers and difficulties they can present.

I would recommend another alternative. I use a BlackCat heater which is a small propane heater. It is safe for tents as well as busses. It is cheap, easy to store and runs for along time off of one bottle.

I am sure others will have experience with the actual heaters themselves, but I would have to say the space heater is the way to go. You can leave it behind in the summer and bring it along in the winter. It creates no extra mess in your engine and is not dangerous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One big drawback to the catalytic type heaters as the Black Cat is, is they produce H2O as a byproduct. When the air is dry it's OK but if you have any moisture inside the bus or it is humid the windows will quickly fog. I started out with a Black Cat and found that for real cold wheather it just doesn't have the BTU's to heat the whole cab of a bus well. I recently bought the Mr. Buddy heater made by Mr. Heater. 4000btu on low and 9000btu on high. Ive camped in temps around 15-20 degrees and it puts out great heat. It also has a low oxygen sensor and a tip over switch that shuts it down.

I think the best solution for heat is a propane heater made by Propex. They are externaly vented so you can run them all night and not worry about not waking up in the morning. Since they are vented to the outside you will also not get the moisture build up on the inside. They are made in the UK though and run $550-$700 so they aren't cheap. If your interested this person imports them and sells them. Here is a recent message he sent to the WetWesties camping club that I belong to.

>>>Hi Folks,

Just a quick note to say I still have a few heaters remaining from the last
shipment. I currently have four of the EX1800 (6000 btu) and two of the
larger HS2800 (9000 btu) models in stock. $545 and $695 (Paypal)
respectively, discounted to $525 and $675 for cash or money order. These are
compact and efficient propane-fired, externally-vented forced-air heaters
specifically designed for campervans. More information available as needed,
as well as installation photos and assistance.

Karl Mullendore
Westy Ventures
3333 Gapland Road
Gapland, MD 21779
ph: 301.432.4645<<<

VW Campmobile, it goes on vacation with you.
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you already have the BN4, there are several manuals online, and a couple of people who specialize in rebuilding them.
Good luck!

http://www.conservatory.com/vw/manuals_nyx/EberBN4.html

http://www.type2.com/rvanness/caspbn4.htm

http://www.72camper.com/gasheate.htm

http://www.type2.com/library/heating.htm
Remember - You are required to get older but you are not required to grow up!
62 SC & 66 Bus
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: