Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Wipers Lever
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregKnod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: 1973 Wipers Lever Reply with quote

The owners manuals aren't really clear about this ...... when the wiper lever is all the way down, is this the "off" position?
Also, should the wipers work withhout the ignition on?

Thanks,
Greg
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Wipers Lever Reply with quote

GregKnod wrote:
The owners manuals aren't really clear about this ...... when the wiper lever is all the way down, is this the "off" position?

Thanks,
Greg

yes.
no.

79 westy
78 westy

purveyor of refurbed westies and parts!!! inquire within!

Jockomo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and what's it mean when the wipers go back and forth once every time you turn the ignition to the on position, or hit your turn signal?
palemoon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI THERE
CAN YOU POST YOUR 73 OWNER MANUAL FOR ALL THOSE OF US WHO DO NOT HAVE ONE?
THANKS, PALEMOON
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will get you close to a 73 manual.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/oct73bus.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vwman55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about my 78 wiper lever. It has 4 positions: All the way down(does nothing), next position up is: off next: slow, next: fast.
What is the all the way down or 1st position?
Thanks
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: 1973 VW Type 2 windshield wiper switch Reply with quote

Vwman55 wrote:
I have a question about my 78 wiper lever. It has 4 positions: All the way down(does nothing), next position up is: off next: slow, next: fast.
Thanks

The following archived page, from the 1974 VW Type 2, correctly shows all the windshield wiper switch postions, for those 1973 & 1974 model-year, VW Type 2s, which lack the optional intermittent wipe facility.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/oct73bus/page15.jpg

Those with the intermittent wipe facility, have an extra switch position, which is engaged by pulling the switch-stalk from the off position, towards the driver. All the switch positions, for intermittent, off, single sweep flick-wipe (i.e. push towards slow and release, without clicking into position), slow and fast, is shown in my British 1973 VW Type 2 owners' handbook.

This configuration, is probably the same, for the 1975~79 model-years' windshield wiper switch.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Windshield wiper switch circuitry Reply with quote

Jockomo wrote:
...and what's it mean when the wipers go back and forth once every time you turn the ignition to the on position, or hit your turn signal?

It probably means, that some bright spark has at sometime, incorrectly reconnected the wiring to the two steering-column mounted stalk switches. This would be almost impossible on my 1973 VW Type 2, owing to the custom wiring loom, with colour-coded, multi-way, male & female connector blocks.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 VW Type 2 windshield wiper switch Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
Vwman55 wrote:
Thanks

The following archived page, from the 1974 VW Type 2, correctly shows all the windshield wiper switch postions, for those 1973 & 1974 model-year, VW Type 2s, which lack the optional intermittent wipe facility.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/oct73bus/page15.jpg

Those with the intermittent wipe facility, have an extra switch position, which is engaged by pulling the switch-stalk from the off position, towards the driver. All the switch positions, for intermittent, off, single sweep flick-wipe (i.e. push towards slow and release, without clicking into position), slow and fast, is shown in my British 1973 VW Type 2 owners' handbook.

This configuration, is probably the same, for the 1975~79 model-years' windshield wiper switch.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet

These days, it's actually possible to retro-fit an aftermarket, rain-sensing, automatic, variable-interval, windshield-wiper-speed controller, called the Raintracker RT-50, which is simple to fit and is compatible with the stock system, of virtually all VWs; including the earlier models with 6V electrical systems, albeit with some additional circuitry. It's available direct from OEDES – Optoelectronic Design Inc., in Eden Prairie, Minnesota.

http://www.raintracker.com

The following thread about the Raintracker kit, has been reproduced from my detailed article in Transporter Talk and brief review in Volkswagen Driver; two magazines published in Great Britain.

http://www.vwbeetle.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=149

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Wipers Lever Reply with quote

GregKnod wrote:

Thanks,
Greg

If you check the electrical circuit wiring diagram, you will find that the supply to the windshield wipers, is from the ignition-controlled X-terminal, which means that the wipers will only function, when the ignition is on, without the engine starter motor being operated.

Incidently, this also applies to the main & dipped beams of the headlamps.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: