Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Here is my project bug, a 1974 standard, 20+ pics!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Here is my project bug, a 1974 standard, 20+ pics! Reply with quote

Here are some pics of my project bug. Its a 1974 standard that I picked up for practically nothing. When I got it, it was hit hard in the drivers door. The roof had a small buckle, and the heater channel was pushed in 2". The floors were shot, there was a hack job of a front clip attempt, poorly fixed rust around the base of the rear window and the heater channels were shot. I have worked on it on and off for some time now. I have some time available now and plan to make some serious progress. Hopefull a thread like this will keep me going.

This is how it looked when I got it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is how I want it to look

Here are some shots of previous work done, and in this first one you can see the hack front clip job. There were two inner fenders on the pass side- one right over the other!

Here is work on the front clip;

I changed both heater channels, and did some front firewall repair while it was up in the air. My next post will show the car as it sits today
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/448794 (Vette,Nova,Typhoon)

Last edited by sbnova on Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
sbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some shots of it today. I have done some patching recently. I made my own patch panels for the rear side crescent vents, as well as all other rust repair areas around the rear window.

I have the driver side suicide door almost completed. It is fully operational. The hinges fit completely inside the B-pillars.

Yes I know the rear of the B-pillar where the door panel goes is bent open a little. I had to get access to a piece I forgot to cut out that restricted my ability to remove the hinge pins. The hinges come out so the pockets can be painted fully.

Ok, thats what Ive got so far. I am hoping to have the metal work done soon so I can sandblast the car and get it into epoxy primer before it gets too cold here in Florida.

Keep me motivated, please!!
John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice work!
sbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some other background. I bought the car with a 1914 with a spun bearing. The engine was disassembled. When I got it home I found that it was really a 2007cc. It has a welded counterweighted 78mm crank, a 120 cam, and a weber progressive carb. It had a header with an empi chrome stinger. The case is shot. There is something like .022 between the main saddles when the case halves are snugged together.

My plan is just to rebuild the 2007, when I get another case. The progressive will be replaced by a set of Kadrons that I picked up recently, or by a set of Holley Bug Sprays on dual manifolds. I have lots of Holley tuning experience. My ultimate goal is to have it turbo'd with fuel injection. Ive got some throttle bodies and injectors waiting. I have two other forced induction rides- a supercharged Vette and a turbocharged AWD GMC Typhoon. I tune them both- so I should be able to EFI the bug no problem. In the meantime I picked up a great running single port engine- I think its a 1500 but I really dont remember LOL!! The car can run and drive with some creative wiring and fuel supply Very Happy

When I got the car it had a lowered adjustable beam, front disc brakes, KYB shocks and front and rear sway bars.

I put new pans in it too, I just cant find the pics of it. It has some ratty Scat Procar seats that I have loved (and always wanted to own) since I was a kid. I made new mounts for them so I could ditch the '74 style floor hump, and mount the seats a little lower.

More to come, stay tuned!!!
69stock_beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that spare tire well piece of the front trunk new? Where can you get those?

Also, when you cut the gas filler neck side out, where did you cut against the a pillar? I've done a few, but never cut it there. I don't understand how you separated it, then rewelded it to retain that folded over lip that runs up the pillar.

Looking good
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69stock_beetle wrote:
Is that spare tire well piece of the front trunk new? Where can you get those?

Also, when you cut the gas filler neck side out, where did you cut against the a pillar? I've done a few, but never cut it there. I don't understand how you separated it, then rewelded it to retain that folded over lip that runs up the pillar.
Looking good

The Bentley manual shows replacing the front quarter panels by using a lipped tool to pry open the lip that is folded over the quarter panel. You then drill out the spot welds holding the front quarter panel on. Once you spot weld the new quarter up against the pillar you then hammer and dolly the lip back over it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 - Thats exactly how I did it. If I posted a closer view you would see that it isnt all folded back over yet. Thats the best way to do it.

The whole front clip, the black part, is brand spanking new. You can buy them at Mid- America, and I'm sure just about any other place too. I bought mine pre-owned but unused from a local. I have heard that there are alignment problems and mine was no different. The pieces arent bad but as an assembly it doesnt fit. It needed to be disassembled, then rewelded back together in the correct position.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good progress man. Love the pics. Keep us posted. Smile

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbnova wrote:
wcfvw69 - Thats exactly how I did it. If I posted a closer view you would see that it isnt all folded back over yet. Thats the best way to do it.

The whole front clip, the black part, is brand spanking new. You can buy them at Mid- America, and I'm sure just about any other place too. I bought mine pre-owned but unused from a local. I have heard that there are alignment problems and mine was no different. The pieces arent bad but as an assembly it doesnt fit. It needed to be disassembled, then rewelded back together in the correct position.

It looks like you did a nice job. I see the torch and am assuming you used it to remove the lead at the joint at the top near the hood. How far back did you have to pry the lip? Also, would you mind posting a picture of the tool you used to pry the lip back with?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69stock_beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really like to see that tool, as well. I have a bunch of door skin crimping tools, but nothing that could cleanly lift that seam and not destroy it.

I had considered trying it on the last one, but I decided against it, for fear that I would hack it up and have to "make" a new lip from welding and grinding. I didn't feel it was worth my time. Sounds like you have the right tools though.

I wll have to look into one of those front assemblies. I figured that if it was new aftremarket, it wouldn't fit right. VW bug, Ford Mustang, Jeep Wrangler, etc... Every vehicle that has tons of cheap aftermarket parts usually lack the quality that you find in other aftermarket parts. OF course, I am not complaiming. I paid $800 for seat upholstery for a 64 impala. I paid $45 for seat upholstry for the bug. Same thing with bumpers. $60 a piece for the bug, and $1200 a piece for the impala. guess which ones fit better?

Stamped sheet metal seems to be the worst. Even the quality of the E-coat is different.
anyhow, thanks for the info.

edit: I just noticed the round speaker magnet you are using for holding patch pieces in place. I found that microwave magnets, especially old big microwaves, have extremely strong magnets in them. they look identical to teh speaker magnets, but they are strong enough to give you a blood blister. Sometimes, though, if you are welding too close to a really strng magnet it will destroy the weld pool and turn it into splatter. kinda neat...
sbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good eye on the torch. Yeah, I used it to clean up the the joint of the quarter to cowl area. The quarter I took off was the one I put back on. When I got the car there was large portions of the old quarter still on, under the *new* quarter. The new quarter was removed correctly from a donor car, so I just had to lift the pinch, cut off the old and reinstall the new quarter like it was supposed to be. At the joint up top, they cut the new quarter short so I had to do some grafting to make it work. I was going to smooth that parting line anyway, so I blended it over with a new piece, and it has a hammered line to replace the old seam, only it will never crack because its one piece.

For lifting the pinch I used an old screwdriver that I ground into a chisel tip. I started at the bottom (easy with no running board) and worked my way up. I only opened it about 90 degrees from closed- just enough to get in there and remove the old/ install the new. I didnt want to crack it by work hardening it too much.

Thanks for the comments, I am feeling inspired. I should have some time today or tonight to get some work done. More pics fill follow as I make progress.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69stock_beetle wrote:
I would really like to see that tool, as well. I have a bunch of door skin crimping tools, but nothing that could cleanly lift that seam and not destroy it.

I had considered trying it on the last one, but I decided against it, for fear that I would hack it up and have to "make" a new lip from welding and grinding. I didn't feel it was worth my time. Sounds like you have the right tools though.

I wll have to look into one of those front assemblies. I figured that if it was new aftremarket, it wouldn't fit right. VW bug, Ford Mustang, Jeep Wrangler, etc... Every vehicle that has tons of cheap aftermarket parts usually lack the quality that you find in other aftermarket parts. OF course, I am not complaiming. I paid $800 for seat upholstery for a 64 impala. I paid $45 for seat upholstry for the bug. Same thing with bumpers. $60 a piece for the bug, and $1200 a piece for the impala. guess which ones fit better?

Stamped sheet metal seems to be the worst. Even the quality of the E-coat is different.
anyhow, thanks for the info.

edit: I just noticed the round speaker magnet you are using for holding patch pieces in place. I found that microwave magnets, especially old big microwaves, have extremely strong magnets in them. they look identical to teh speaker magnets, but they are strong enough to give you a blood blister. Sometimes, though, if you are welding too close to a really strng magnet it will destroy the weld pool and turn it into splatter. kinda neat...

I am not a big fan of aftermarket metal for the exact reasons you state. When I restored my 69 vert I used a lot of it and none of it fit worth a darn causing me a lot of additional time for fitting/adjusting. I see NOS panels including front quarter panels in the classifieds here frequently. If I ever do another extensive restoration like that again, I will look for NOS metal or find a donor parts bug to cut out the metal.

sbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would add some pics of my wheels. They started out as 15x 5.5 sprint stars. There was no way that the front were going to fit inside the fenders, so I had to cut them up. I reversed the rim, and offset it as much as possible to tuck it in. The center now protrudes past the rim lip. I think they look cool, and when they get caps they will look even better. I turned down stock caps, because I plan to make my own out of billet steel. (steel because I have it, otherwise it would be aluminum)

And here is some welding I just did today on the pass side crescent vent. The other hole might get patched later tonight.
[img]

-Jim
[/img]
der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice man but it needs to sit lower if it is going to look anything like that drawing. Very Happy Going to bag it?

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
sbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air ride is not in the plans. As it sits right now, the front is pretty low on the adjusters, but it still has 165's on it. The rear is at stock height. Its easier to work on it higher up. It will get lower, trust me. I might go the air shock route, just because I have two kids and if we all ride I want to stiffen it up a bit. Im not looking to replicate hydraulics, just to have a little height and weight adjustment.
ineedavw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great man keep up the good work good to see another florida person im in tampa
sbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some blasting today. Hydroblasting. Its "DEFLATED's" tool, and uses water to sandblast. I only had 3/4 of a bag of sand but I just needed to take the rusty scale off the area where the hood seal sits. I did both sides, and also did the area where the new rear apron will cover so when I weld in the new one it wont go over crud. I also started to work on the rear apron. Its an aftermarket piece and the pea shooter holes need to be welded closed before it goes on the car.

I took some pics but when I got home from work the end was broken on the cord for the digital camera! Pics will come shortly, when I get a new cord.
vwluver74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh, yes, wasnt this repair fun? my 74 bug was rotten in the same places behind the rear vent. i cut it open and dug all of that foam out of there.

sbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made more progress, but I still dont have a cord for the camera! The directional is now shaved from the pass fender, and the pass side suicide door is almost half done. I worked on the fitment of my hood, and I think I got it to a point where I am satisfied with its fit. I also cut the weatherstrip j-channel off the front apron. I am going to use the mexican style seal for a cleaner look.

Pics will be posted, I promise.
sbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two pics from my camera phone, showing the pass side suicide door hinge being installed, and some metalwork to the pass side quarter.

I still dont have a cord for my digital camera. I cant find the right one, hopefully soon. Ive got some pics on it of the car seeing the light of day!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: