Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New engine for the 67
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BirdLives wrote:
Rome wrote:
Have you notified your engine builder of this damage?

The GoldenGate chapter of the vintage VW Club of America is very active in the Bay area; actually down in the San Jose area. They meet monthly and have several people who are excellent in building dependable, stock engines. That is the club which puts on the Kelley Park meet in San Jose mid-April.

The engine was built for the previous owner by a garage in San Rafael. I hadn't really thought of contacting them, maybe I'll look through the stack of receipts that came with the car and see how many miles it had on it.

Ya, Kelly Park is the best show of the year in Nor Cal in my opinion. One of their members, Jim Kikuchi is also a member of my east-bay club NAG (Norcal Aircooled Group). There are a lot of really knowledgeable people there too. In fact, when I get all the parts together I'm thinking engine building party - pizza, beer, setting end-play - well, maybe not in that order. Jason, Jim, Regis, Mike, what do guys think? Maybe when the weather gets a little warmer...

just say the word and i'll be there.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New engine for the 67 Reply with quote

BirdLives wrote:
[color=darkblue]Am I waisting my time with this? color]Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Yes, I think all of the changes from stock you listed are just a waste of time. The stock cooler should do an adequate job so long as you're not planning on spending all your time driving flat out in the desert. I think your time would be better spent building to stock, running a Berg dipstick to monitor temp. and two-toning those wheels.

Edit: Oops, sorry, I posted before reading the thread through. Looks like you'll be starting from scratch anyway, so disregard this post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugntjw
Rants Lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1641SP with a dual relief case that I have been very happy with. It has counterwieghted crank, supposed to be Engle 110 (but mechanic thinks the builder may have put 100 in instead), Bugpack header/single quiet pack, doghouse cooler, and a 34PICT1 for awhile (now CB Performance Dual 34mm Solexes). The comb seems to work very well, and am happy I did not go with a stock motor. It is a daily driver, and is nice to have an engine with enough power to get out of it's own way. Stay with single carb, it will look stock. Not sure what it would be like with stock exaust, though.
Also have talked to a few people who say they have had a 1776SP and said liked them as well.

Duct tape is like 'The Force'. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: