Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bike rack for bus?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmikx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: bike rack for bus? Reply with quote

I need a good bike rack that holds 3-4 bikes. I want to put in back of the bus not on roof. Which are my options? Also I dont't have a hitch so that is not an option. thanks
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know of any that hold more than two without using a hitch-mount setup... sorry.
barrysmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: bike rack for bus? Reply with quote

cosmikx wrote:
I need a good bike rack that holds 3-4 bikes. I want to put in back of the bus not on roof. Which are my options? Also I dont't have a hitch so that is not an option. thanks

I bought a Bell 2 bike rack at WalMart for $30 that looks and works great and I believe they had 3 bike racks there as well.Can't open back hatch or engine lid w/bikes loaded but otherwise perfect IMO.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion:

See if you can do a front mounted 2" receiver for a hitch like this http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_137095_137095

and install one of these http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=934XT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cosmikx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does it have to be frontmounted?Will there be problems if I mount it on the back?
westy demi-god
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to carry the family bikes (3 of them) on a rack that hung off of the rear hatch. The problem with bikes on the back is that they restrict your access to the rear hatch, and more importantly, to the engine bay. Consequently, I went to the roof-mounted Thule setup last year and am very pleased. For long journeys, I'd think anything mounted in the rear (besides that european hatch mounted setup that holds two bikes nice and high - anyone?) would be a royal PITA. If you're down with that, I have a rack that will work, and I'll sell it to you.

All that being said, mounting a receiver to the front of the bus sounds like an elegant solution.
MySpace
GreenBrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: bike rack for bus? Reply with quote

cosmikx wrote:

Sounds to me the only option you have left yourself is a rack that attaches to the rear hatch. I have a fiamma rack from BusDepot that holds two bikes.

This rack works very well. It attaches to the rear hatch with no drilling involved and allows the engine hatch to be lifted without needing to move the bikes. However you should know that the weight of the bikes bent the top of the hatch just a little bit and put a slight crease in the center of the hatch.

I don't consider this a big deal and does not prevent me from using the rack. However, I mention this only because you want to carry 3-4 bikes using a similar setup. That's even more weight hanging from the rear hatch.

I don't know what the reason is for discounting the hitch, but maybe you could reconsider it, especially with the number of bike you plan to carry.

'78 Westfalia 2.0L FI (Abigail) R.I.P.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with mounting it in the rear is that there is precious little steel back there to mount it to back there without doing a real trailer hitch.

The real limitation to the use of the bumper is that it is just held on by 4 bolts. Bumpers are made a little weak in my thinking also. I think you could come up with a easier more secure way to mount it up front keeping in mind that you do not want to block any of the head lights/taillights/turnsignals. Where your spare is mounted may also be a consideration.

I have that Thule rack (in a 2 bike verison) and it will fold down to allow me to get at the engine lid and also the rear hatch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwbusbusvw
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have this rack that I got from Sports Chalet in San Diego. I've seen them at other sporting goods stores. It was about $50. It holds 2 bikes, has straps the hook to the bumper, and to the drip rail. It can fold up flat against the bus when you're not using it. The rack's legs have foam padding, so there's no scratching going on. I could put the whole thing on, and load up 2 bikes in 3 minutes. One on the back, one on the front?

OMVWC
Quote:
stuped is stuped duse
Oil Phil-M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This won't work with the new gravity sleds with bolted axles but I use this for my xc and road bikes on my 72 westy.

I u-bolted 3 old front bike hubs with quick-releases to the back side of a factory roof rack load bar mounted as far back as the drip-rail permits. Remove bike's front wheel and attach forks to the mounted hub and let the bike hang downwards. Still allows access to the engine and because the axles in the mounted hubs still rotate I can still lift up the rear door also if needed with the bikes in place.

With the bikes hanging down the rear wheel needs to be held in place otherwise a fast corner with have the chainring clawing the backside. For a single bike in the center an old toe clip strap through the wheel and under the rear door lock hook works. For 2-3 bikes just bring the rear wheels together in the middle and toe clip strap them together. I found an old cheap strap on ski rack that I mounted horizontally on the back door so the muddy tires rest off the body and the rubber tiedowns for the skis fit perfectly through the rear wheels to hold them in place. When I need max interior space I attatches the front wheel to the back with a couple of toe straps.

For added safety I have a pair of long straight bike lock cables on either end of the load bar and a bunch of climbing carabiners or locks to help ensure the bikes don't fall off the back of the truck. Also being a 72 I'm able to mount the second load bar at the other end of the luggage rack and connect the 2 bars with a pair thule bike racks without interfering with the pop top. Along with offering extra carrying capacity it adds more stability to the rear load bar so I would recommend having some sort of structure connecting the two. If you have a +74 westy an additional triangulated brace to the drip-rail should be done. Although most of the wieght is directed downwards bracing the top of the load bar will prevent any rearward torsion.

I've used this method for close to 20 years without a problem. An additional 4th hub on the top of the rear load bar and I have carried 6 bikes in total none of which are in contact with another or sway about in a mount.
Blaize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a tip here, nobody has suggested it so I presume we all know better but just in case. The nose of my 77 westy is dented and it is the only flaw in the body. Why? because the p.o. mounted a suv rear tire clamp on bike rack to the tire on the front of my bus. it of course was too much weight for the sheetmetal and dented it all up under the spare. Oil canned the metal as well so it is going to be tons of fun to fix when I get to it.

Again nobody had suggested it but all the same
fukengruvenoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the front-mount thing on my Westy. I designed a 1-1/4" receiver hitch that mounts to the crash-protection bumper underneath, basically it spans the load out over a large plate. Then I put a commercially available rack into the receiver. Works like a charm for 2 bikes, 4 would be pushing it, but maybe you could put 2 up front and 2 on the back to balance the load? Putting them up front leaves the rear hatch accessible, allows me to tow my boat and IMHO looks cool!

PS - I did a CAD drawing of the hitch before I built it, will sell plans or finished hitches for anyone interested. Too many projects to build them and list them in the classifieds right now....

The hitch uses a bolt instead of a pin and has a captive nut inside so it can be tightened so it doesn't have the typical "bike rack jiggle".

This hitch holds any kind of bike, regardless of frame design, I like it alot!

The view from inside is just fine too!
Tri-Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the Fiamma rack, it holds 2, but is a good design

A VW team with a triathlon problem, or something like that....
Tri-Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img] https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/313796.jpg [img]

This is out of the photo gallery, of a custom rack that was made by someone ( not my bus ) note the lights that are on the rack

Last edited by Tri-Bus on Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a fan of front OR rear mounted bike racks because they invariably block the vehicle's lighting system from the view of other drivers. it is not smart.

mount them on the roof. your fuel mileage will suffer slightly, but you will be safe and anywhere a transport truck can go, you will also be able to go.

my beef with the fiamma is that it in turn blocks the rear window from clear view, though it at least gets the bikes away from your lights.

i have a thule rack with long pedestals from a range rover and i mount my single bike to it on its side with foam canoe pads. remove the wheels and stow them over the engine. my mileage never suffered measurably. if you have a hard top bus, most thule racks will fit the drip rails, and you can fit one or two bikes up there horizontally without problems. mileage and headroom will be nary an issue.
sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that the fiamma rack did not block my rearward view significantly. I was expecting it to, but I can honestly say that I don't suffer any major visibility problems. Of course, we have road bikes not mountain bikes, so that may make a bit of a difference although I can't imagine much. The view out the back is already partially obscured by curtains anyway. It's up plenty high so as not to cover the taillights or access to the engine... but alas, it only holds two bikes, as has been mentioned. Otherwise couldn't be happier.

Tri-Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sped372 wrote:
I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that the fiamma rack did not block my rearward view significantly. I was expecting it to, but I can honestly say that I don't suffer any major visibility problems. Of course, we have road bikes not mountain bikes, so that may make a bit of a difference although I can't imagine much. The view out the back is already partially obscured by curtains anyway. It's up plenty high so as not to cover the taillights or access to the engine... but alas, it only holds two bikes, as has been mentioned. Otherwise couldn't be happier.

Tracks
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2571&category_id=274&category_parent_id=
Blocks
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2569&category_id=274&category_parent_id=

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2570&category_id=274&category_parent_id=

might be worth a look, Go westy sells the accessories, Bus Depot seems to be the only ones with the racks anymore

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: