Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 171, 172, 173  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
M_atthewanderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here you are erhoads, you need to type [/img] after your link not after your full comments

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mordeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's because you put the [/img] at the end of all of your text rather than at the end of the image location.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mordeaux wrote:
Hey now. Does anyone have these wheels on their Vanagon? I'd love for some clever dickey to create a small java app that would let us see various wheels "installed" on our vans. That would be cool.

I like these wheels also, but have yet to see them installed on a baywindow or vanagon.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, if I ran those wheels, I would have to modify them.

Strength be damned!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
mordeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looog, do you mean to say that the lugs look too minimal now or after you modified them they would be weak? I was thinking that the lugs look a little dinky compared to the mass of the spokes themselves. They do look cool though.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant that they might be weakened by modifying them to extent depicted in my Photoshop version. I just did them to where I thought that they looked good. If you were make the area around the lugs just slightly more beefy than in my version, I don't think that strength would be an issue. The shrunken lug area makes the wheels look bigger and the spokes look longer.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
mordeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snap! I didn't even notice that you had changed it. I got fixed on your version. I like them both ways.
erhoads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: new tires on my 15 inch wheels Reply with quote

I just came from the tire shop with new michelin hydro's 205/65/15 on my benz wheels and i can say that this van has never come close to handling like this and i've always run reinforced 6 ply tires on my old 14 inch rims. the difference is night and day, I still havent been able to get my photo to load....image size to large for the site, not sure what to do there. Anyway, I dont feel any flex in these non reinforced tires, they're what gowesty recommends and i agree withem. e
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to use a tool to resize your picture. Your edit or upload software should be able to do it.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Loogy, still out there ? Laughing

how do you like rollin on those 18's ? is the ride a bit tough ? I'm here in Seattle and working in the industrial district, potholes and train tracks galore ! near 100% 0f my driving is off I-5 around Seattle so I'm just worried the road is too harsh.

I'm thinking 17's but I can imagine my cd player skipping constantly. I also have the harder H&R springs but they're not installed yet.

the other day I wimped out on a set of Ronal R9's on ebay @ 16x8 with an unknown ET... Rolling Eyes just don't want to get stuck with something that won't fit or look right.

I've seen a guy with Prosche rims and adapters here...any worries with adapters ?

anyone else have a report about the road feel of their van/truck with lower profile tyres ?
thanks Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'm always "out there". Very Happy

I really don't mind the ride with the 40 series tires 95% of the time. There are those few moments when it bothers me but they are fairly few and far between. My CD player never skips even when I'm in Fremont or down in Georgetown. I think that if I were you, I might be inclined to run a 17" wheel with a 45 series tire. The difference in ride between the two is fairly noticable. One thing that I might also recommend is to purchase a good quality wheel and keep your tire pressures up just a bit. This will prevent bent wheels.

Contrary to popular belief, H&R's can be made to ride almost like stock. You have to trim the bump stops and run really good quality shocks. Uncut bumpstops and poor quality shock are usually the main causes of the poor ride quality with the H&R springs. Worn out suspension bits can amplify a poor ride too.

I have no problem with good quality steel or 6061 T6 aluminum adapters.

Make sure you post pictures of whatever wheel you choose.

Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

=edit=
I'm pulling all these pics cause they're ebay pics and will go away soon anyway...

went ahead and got the BBS RF's Laughing

Last edited by Crankey on Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have always thought that a T3 would look good with a set of 16" Porsche Fuchs on it but the offset would be all screwed up. The thinnest adapters that I have ever seen are 20mm thick. This would put the offset of your front wheels at 16mm. Although the tire probably wouldn't stick out of the fenderwell, the 16mm offset would play havoc with the handling.

The AMG Monoblock wheels look great on Vanagons due to their beefy, blocky looks. Those real ones with a supposed 5" backspace seem kind of odd to me. If the sellers measurment is correct and they truly do have a 5" backspace, that would mean that they have a 12-13mm offset wich doesn't sound right to me but who knows.

If you can at all help it, buy an OE wheel. it will be much stronger and resist lip bending much better than any of the replica's.

Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your thoughts Loog. on the OE vs copies...I suspected that too.

any idea about the BBS RF's as far as machining for the hub or lugs ? the center cap on those match up with the spider spokes so...I spose I could make a cap that would work...here's a pic w/o the cap...real 3 piece units.

16x8, no ET listed and *gulp* 800 bones ! they'd be bad ass though. I'd be down $1500 by the time I was rolling again Rolling Eyes Laughing
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those Rf's would look sweet on there. It would be best if you could get ahold of one of the wheels to take some measurments. The lug holes will have to be large enough to fit the 14mm lugs. If they are not large enough, a 9/16" drill bit will do the deed nicely. The center bore should be at least 66mm in order to clear the lip on the grease caps. Many BBS's use hubcentric rings so that a particular wheel can fit a couple of different vehicles. Mine were that way. I did not have to open the center bore up at all. If you can see the wheels in person, the offset should be on molded or stamped on the wheel somwhere. Sometimes the ET is on the rear of one of the wheel spokes, sometimes it's near one of the lug holes, on my BBS's, it's stamped near the outer lip on the face side of the wheel. Knowing the ET would be really helpful in determining the proper fitment.

Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the BBS's are in cali, but the guy with them has an audi hot rodding shop so if I call and grill him a little more maybe I can get some better info. ($800 should be worth a little phone time) on the ET, since the rims are actually separate parts...that may not be cast into the center as it usually is.

more than I want to spend but still, I'm drawn to them Mad tough and mechanical looking, works well w/ my truck.

HEY !, just found a post of some 17" RF's and the bore is 66.5 Cool
2-8" rims w/ ET 32... 2-8.5 rims w/ ET 20... how's that sound ?

may strike up a deal here. Cool what's your take on these ?
erhoads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: mercedes 15 inch wheels. Reply with quote

ok her is my final attempt at posting an image. my westy as previously described. thanks for the tips. e[/img]
erhoads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and that came out ridiculously small. e
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go erhoads. Your van looks really nice. Do you have any specs on your wheels like what model they are off of, offset, any spacer involved, etc.?

chris32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im suprised nobody has pics of vans with audi wheels
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 171, 172, 173  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 173

Jump to: