Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.8T Engine Conversion nearly done
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: 1.8T Engine Conversion nearly done Reply with quote

I mentioned in this forum a few months ago I was having a shop install an APR chipped 1.8T out of a 2003 Beetle. It's now operational, and it's BAD! With 210+ HP and 240+ ft.lbs. of torque, this thing almost scares me with its power. With a higher 4th gear (.77) and higher RPMs available, cruising at 80mph is silky smooth. In fact, I passed someone effortlessly and was surprised when I saw 95 on the speedometer and the pedal had lots of play left. The install is beautiful, much credit goes out to the guys that did the install. Now the trick is to get the smog referees here in California to pass it through the visual inspection. That is proving to be a real hassle. Failed twice so far for asinine reasons, though I'm certain it will be approved very soon. Afterall, they do realize it passes the smog standards, and they're dinging the conversion for an OBD II code for malfunction in the ABS and Airbag. Just clear the codes and things should be fine. It really does depend upon which smog ref is doing the inspection, subjective bastards!

I'll definitely post photos soon, though there's a couple little bugs to still work out.

Lundy
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i made few calls
about 9Kus walk away (6K labour, 3k hardware)
could be less w/o CARB requirement
hmm dealer brand new apr 1.8 is 4800cdn 2500 core 7300 cdn ~6500us
what about ground & lid clearance
-loose 1 inch ground no modified oil pan yet
-modified lid comes up about one inch & your gotta figure out the rear seat
and what adpaters are req flywheel/wiring harness stuff ?
kenedy flywheel etc
donor harness & lots of labour
maybe a parts list ?
will this work with auto's ??
yah unless you want a carb approval

Last edited by tclark on Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CARB is not just going to complain about ABS and Airbag faults! They are going to complain about important things like the evap system not being present. Especially the gas cap related items. How did they deal with that? The raw emissions are not the only things they worry about.

It is a mystery to many of us how to get an exceptable evap system setup. That is why I am sticking with the tried and true Suby EJ22 which is in the CARB books.

So do let us know.

Best of Luck...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T Engine Conversion nearly done Reply with quote

Lundy wrote:
With 210+ HP and 240+ ft.lbs. of torque, this thing almost scares me with its power. With a higher 4th gear (.77) and higher RPMs available, cruising at 80mph is silky smooth. In fact, I passed someone effortlessly and was surprised when I saw 95 on the speedometer and the pedal had lots of play left.

Too cool! Pics, please!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, the van loses an inch or so of clearance and the rear deck gets raised about an inch and a half. Nothing a skid plate welded to the engine mount, 215/75-15s and some creative storage can't accomodate. Especially when you're talking an increase of 130+ HP and 140+ Torque over the 1.9. It's an 85 Westy anyway and has taller springs. When the pics are up you'll notice that the raised lid is almost insignificant in terms of "lost" space, but then again it's not for everyone. As for the rear seat, a simple 1.5" pad thrown over the folded out seat easily makes up for the deck lid. I'm thinking a piece of memory foam.

The BAR Label is not that elusive, it just depends on who you're taking it to. For that matter, any conversion can be tough unless there is a prior approval as in the Subaru 2.2. I understand the Tiico's are even more difficult to get approval for. The 1.8T simply hasn't passed the visual yet, though it should soon.

r39o is correct, the evap systems are certainly a concern with the refs, though it has been found acceptable through both inspections. One of the sticking points has been the exhaust down pipe (it's custom built as the original Beetle downpipe would have the cat hanging out past the body behind the driver side rear tire). Any reasonable referee would see the stupidity in keeping that. Can you imagine all the burned ankles from innocent parking lot passerbys? Anyway, that's one thing they want to see back on the engine.

The other issue is that the check engine light came on during the inspection due to the airbag and ABS not being present. That's why they made a big deal of it. It had more to do with the light than the codes. Everything else has passed. After talking with the shop owner today, it sounds like the local ref coordinator contacted him back about the most recent test and really wants to see the van pass through. Once the label's in the engine compartment, all is good.

Lastly, this shop does not currently do the conversion in autos, and I'm not certain of anyone else who does this conversion at this time, at least not local to me. You can check out their website though, or just call and ask what would be required. http://www.stephansautohaus.com/

Well, I'm off to find some errand to run for the wife as an excuse to drive around. Very Happy
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come over. I wanna see this thing.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Gagnon @ Foreign Auto inc. , Harpswell, Maine does Tiico engine conversions, over 1200 installs, he was gearing up to do TDI conversions this fall. People ship their Vanagons to him from all over the U.S.
His # is 207-833-0009 E-mail www.foreignautosupply.com

Heres what my 140 hp tiico looks like.I was very happy w/ the work.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
mcsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Lundy, for putting a GERMAN motor in your GERMAN vanagon!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That *IS* beautiful.

I will refrain from enumerating the reasons why I won't do it.

Looks nice, still.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
A3ahh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any pics yet? Sounds great ! ! ! Very Happy Exclamation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get pics up soon, though with the holidays and family commitements I've been a little taken up. Soon. I promise.

Still runs like a dream, almost too nice. Cruised home from SF in record time running about 80 up I-80 with no strain. No issues as of yet, just some minor things the shop and I want to address. One is the exhaust is too low, so they're building a heat shield and raising it a bit. They're also building a skid plate to weld onto the engine mount in order to protect the oil pan as it does hang about an inch lower. It's still well clear of the ground, but the added protection lends peace of mind. I have to say, these guys have been phenomenal to work with. I'm enjoying the hell out of my Westy!

Lundy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]Alright, I know I said I would post pictures though I haven't quite made it that far. Stephan is making a couple tweaks to the van in his shop and following through on the BAR label to pass CA emissions. The B*tch of it is I'm likely moving to Portland in the summer and won't need the sticker after all. Oh well, at least this gives me the option of coming back to CA.

Anyhow, here are a couple shots of the custom skidplate they put on in order to protect the aluminum oil pan. You also get a good shot of the engine cradle and big assed Addco rear sway bar. Just some teasers before it is all complete. Everything still runs smoothly, though I'm experienceing DT's after having driven a 210+ hp Westy and then taking it back for some additional tweaks. I really need my fix soon. Drool[img]π

Lundy[/img]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, how in Hades are you supposed to add pictures?!! I've checked the Help section to no avail. I've got a Mac and Photoshop 7. Anyone?

Lundy
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photoshop 7, are you in OS X or "classic"?

Best bet is to create a file 100 DPI or less, for viewing on the Web 72DPI. That will be under Image pop-down window> Image Size. Reduce the overall size of the image so that it is less than 1 Mb. 744K is good. don't worry about the pixelation. I don't believe PS7 have Image Ready, it has been a while and I work with PS CS2, professionally. If you have done any type of enhancement with layers, it must be flattened before saving.

Then save as either a .gif or .jpg. Keep the file as RGB (Adobe RGB 1998 is best). CMYK color spaces won't work. Lab color space is a no go too. Set the .jpg at medium file size. JPEG is your best bet.

TIF, EPS, etc. won't read and will stuff the server that the Samba uses with too much info. making it barf and throw it right back at you.

After you save out the images your ready to upload them to the Samba using the method in the Help section.

On a tech note when getting images off your camera:
If you shot the images with in the RAW format ( large images with no compression, such as JPEG) they need to be saved out in Tif. Save Tif in a folder Archive, then edit the images. Then do the next steps as above.

Jpeg format is a lossy saving engine. Every time you open and close a JPEG info is lost. Saving the first generation of images off your card from RAW to Tif, you'll have them down the road without corruption to the file.
Most comsumer cameras makers don't mention that, just shoot in Jpg format. then make a print from the file that has been compressed to death. Looks like crud

Fun isn't it?
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks Tikibus for the technical support. Honestly you sort of blew my mind with all that mumbo jumbo. I said I had PS7, not that I knew how to use it. Laughing Anyhow, let's see if I can get these pictures up afterall.

Lundy

A good shot of the custom skid covering the oil pan.

A shot of the oil plug access hole.

Another shot showing the cat before it's raised a few inches. Just waiting on a heat shield.

tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lundy,

No problem-o on photographic tech stuff. I do photo work every day, it is my profession. Don't get me started on Traditional methods, remember Silver Halide Film? Don't you want to dig your teeth into the Scheimpflug Principle? Bellows Factor? Inverse Square Law? I'll stop now.

The pic's look great! Nice work on the Van!

Mine is very far from being done in her restoration.
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Nice Job!
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a chipped 1.8T in my Passat -- so I know firsthand the kinda juice it's got! Go easy, man... if you don't wanna destroy the tranny and/or get alot of tickets Wink .

Let us know what kind of mileage you get after you get done "testing".

Rich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichBenn wrote:
I have a chipped 1.8T in my Passat -- so I know firsthand the kinda juice it's got! Go easy, man... if you don't wanna destroy the tranny and/or get alot of tickets Wink .

Let us know what kind of mileage you get after you get done "testing".

Rich

You're not kidding about taking it easy. It doesn't take much to remind myself that I still drive a bread box on wheels, but it's soooo nice not to fear grades, two lane mountain switchback roads, and highway merging anymore. It's with the shop owner now, he's taking it in for the BAR inspection next week. We really don't see any issues with it passing the visual inspection this time, and the ABS and Airbag codes have been over-ridden so the check engine light is now off. Anyhow, pics and more info to follow.

Lundy
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great Lundy. I can't wait to see some engine compartment photos.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
istewart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to hear once you get it past the visual inspection. Seems like custom exhaust downpipes are going to be one of the biggest sticking points for any swap that isn't pre-approved. I'm in Tracy and I would also be willing to pop over the hill to see your van in person if you're going to be around for the next few months.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: