Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stop the leak
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claretcarat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Stop the leak Reply with quote

order 2 bottles of the coolant conditioner here http://www.subaruparts.com/catalog/?section=366
my leak hasn't appeared in months

I took this advice from contributor K58 and I haven't seen a drop of coolant leaking out even when the outside temp. hit -5 degrees yesterday. This stuff really works. Very Happy
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks and glad to hear of your success...mine has been leak free for months and running great

thanks to the Samba members who helped me
I saw a guy on ebay selling the $1.26 bottles for $9 so I
linked his bidders straight to the website
I would want someone to do the same for me
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Claretcarat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it from the local Subaru dealer for $1.65. I only used one bottle too.
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont trust it to far Crying or Very sad after months leak free mine started leaking 200 miles from home Mad but i still think its great stuff Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devesvws wrote:
dont trust it to far Crying or Very sad after months leak free mine started leaking 200 miles from home Mad but i still think its great stuff Wink

Hey, I trust it about as much as I trust this old POS Brokeswagen to get me down the street
but for the price I'll take it over losing coolant anyday
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cat and Walter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you put it in before you develop a leak or are you using it after the leak starts? is this just for the head gaskets leaking?
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just out of curiosity.......those who have been using this for awhile, have you noticed any difference in the running temps of your vans?
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat and Walter
I believe it can be added for preventative with no negative effects
I added it to my new coolant after a flush because I had noticed a slight leak in the head gasket area after a long trip

levi
none whatsoever
mine stays just to the left of the LED
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok nov 05 i look down under my 87 and what do i see drip drip yep drs side head leaking it did however stop for a few months then it started again thats when i saw the fourm on leaking heads and short term fixes someone mentioned the subaru sealer in the blue bottle so what the hell i got two of em and wow it worked so far so good till i took a trip down to vir for the rolex race in april it did well down but on the way back the red light comes on not far from home i added some coolent and off i went so the next day im off to the subaru dealer for more sealer it worked for most of the summer but i did not trust it to go verry far then it started pouring out ok the point is did the sealer work ? i guess it did but it did at first stop leaking on its own for a few months this is not the only vanagon that i have had the heads start leaking and then stop on me but every time with in a few months it would just pour out so my 87 vanagon sits until i change the motor yes it has other problems too eats a qt of oil every 300 miles but i have a good motor in my 91 that i did the heads on that should be good to go i hope Laughing and yes my vanagon is a pice of junk but it keeps my driveway from blowing away Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Periods in sentences; I gotta have more periods in sentences!

This stuff is no "miracle cure". If you have a blown gasket, it won't fix it.

It reminds me of the "bars Leak" I used to use in American Autos (I would not use it in our wasserboxers). It could plug a small leak, but not a major one.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Subaru stop leak as well as the Bars Leak will work.

It'll work well in closing upthe passages in both heater cores, as well as the radiatior, as it's slowing down the drip at the head seals.

This kinda stuff was made for the night by fly kinda back yard, shade tree mechanic, who wants an instant fix.

I remember well changing the radiator on my 89 Carat.

It weighed as much as a Mack Truck radiator, and when it landed on my chest on the way out I sure thought it was.

The PO did me a big favor, and in an attempt to stop the head seal lekas loaded her up with a coolant system stop leak of unknown origin.

The Van ran hotter th it should have, was blowing hoses left and right beacuse of the ungodly high pressure the radiator was creating by only being a one way operation.

The coolanttubes were all 3/4's of the way pluggeed up, and it was time to get rid of it.

Wanna cause some more problems?

Use any stop leak / conditioner available at Subaru or your local FLAPS.
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its called cooling system conditioner. its not intended to stop leaks so says the sube parts guy. it has subaru logo right on the bottle. my guess its safe to use in a subaru and would not void the warranty or cause blockage if used as directed. my own thoughts . its authorized by subaru so it must be safe to use unlike barrs and other sealers and conditioners (btw) head seals are really not that hard to replace i did it in a day on the ground Very Happy
Benjamin Schott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see, I heard it as Subaru had a problem with leaks, and started issuing this stuff basicly as a recall, and it has been popular ever since. I just heard about it, and I'm going to give it a shot...good price.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: