Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus in junkyard in Fresno......
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:

I even approched one once and asked what was the difference between buying it outright or hacking it and buying it piece by piece. Was told that eventually the "last" piece would have to be scrapped! Sad

Can the last piece be unbolted, like even a door or something, and the body be hauled off as a part?
Just wondering how hir-splitting the technicalities are...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DMNCLNR
Sir Camp'alot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Karl"]California has an abatement law. If a vehicle is parked too long on the street, it gets marked. If it sits for more than 72 hours without being moved, it can and might be towed to a tow storage lot after 10 days. Then the owner has a set period of time to claim it. If the owner does not, then the vehicle is auctioned off to a wrecking yard. Per Calif law, the vehicle cannot be licensed or registered again, only parts can be sold off it.
That was an abatement vehicle.... I asked. Only non-abatement cars can be sold complete and registered.

This explains the law: http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/vehabate.html
Read Annex 2A section 22662 paragraph f.

These cars can also be auctioned off to the public as well. Most of the older or junk cars go to the junk yard!
Pl@y@ #1
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mango Juice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus is pretty much raped of its former glory..... if you can call it glory

Just as Karl described it...a early rusty (Doors included) hacked wheel wells 1963 Turkis/Blauweiss Standard, re-painted green and white as seen by Matt (Fried Potatoes) camera photos.

I got a call from a couple of local valley hunters while I was in Pomona on Saturday and they just missed Karl at the Pick N Pull...it was complete minus the goodies Karl bought.

Not sure why this bus made it to the yard as the owner did not want to sell it (See Left Windscreen) maybe the property sold were this bus sat in North East Fresno?

Lind if you need these springs I will try to make it out for you, if they are not gone already I will grab them for you (I was going to buy the transaxel) but the prices of this yard are insane (You have to pay Core fee's also even if you wil not be bringing one back) and they want to check if it is beetle or Van (Van is higher priced) they have a Vw Guy that works there so he knows what bug and bus parts are.

Another old Vw Bites the Dust!!!!
VolksFire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: interior Reply with quote

tony1 wrote:
What type of camper interior did it have?

It looked like a bay window westy kit. Not really sure... I'm not that good on identifying campers.... although I just got a 67 westy, which is where I'm gonna put the popouts. Anyone want the jalousies? The camper interior was gone when I bought my bus, except for the z bed (is that the correct term, or is this only for bays?) which is also available. It has original upholstery, checkered green and white.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DMNCLNR"]
Karl wrote:
California has an abatement law. If a vehicle is parked too long on the street, it gets marked. If it sits for more than 72 hours without being moved, it can and might be towed to a tow storage lot after 10 days. Then the owner has a set period of time to claim it. If the owner does not, then the vehicle is auctioned off to a wrecking yard. Per Calif law, the vehicle cannot be licensed or registered again, only parts can be sold off it.
That was an abatement vehicle.... I asked. Only non-abatement cars can be sold complete and registered.

This explains the law: http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/vehabate.html
Read Annex 2A section 22662 paragraph f.

These cars can also be auctioned off to the public as well. Most of the older or junk cars go to the junk yard!

No sir, someone is blowing smoke up your chimney.

A true abatemant vehicle can ONLY be sold to a scrap yard or a dismantler. Even a person with a car dealers license CANNOT buy them.
These are not insurance totals that can be re-resistered after you get lamp, brake, and smog [if required] certificates for.

Go to the link above and READ section 22662, Disposition of Vehicles or Parts. The beginning words are 'removal to a scrapyard, an auto dismantlers yard or a site processing scrap' and the last words are 'such disposal shall be only as scrap'.

If someone is selling these vehicles to the general public, it is totally illegal.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mango Juice wrote:
Lind if you need these springs I will try to make it out for you, if they are not gone already I will grab them for you (I was going to buy the transaxel) but the prices of this yard are insane (You have to pay Core fee's also even if you wil not be bringing one back) and they want to check if it is beetle or Van (Van is higher priced) they have a Vw Guy that works there so he knows what bug and bus parts are.

yeah, that would be awesome. it will save Karl a little effort, and hopefully pay for your transaxle, or at least part of it.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mango Juice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sent you a pm Lind Very Happy

Here is the scoop on the Microbus:

I was told this yesterday by a local Hunter that was supposed to buy this Microbus: some crazy crack head brothers who owned the property (3 of them) had a load of old vehicles/junk scattered around.

The neighbors were pissed beacause the home one of them lived in burned down and they were supposed to have cleaned the property up in a alloted time by the City....they failed to do so.

This bus was to have been bought for $300.00 (Cash exchanged hands and bill of sale written) and a local tow company arrived to pick it up.

One of the wack job brothers freaked out because he did not want it sold and demanded the tow driver off his property.

The person who bought it called the local Sheriff as they were about to throw blows and the guy got all nervous as the officer rolled up.

It turns out several vehicles on the property had mis-matched plates and the crack head jumped in a motor home and sped off??

This all happened within a week and somehow this bus is sitting raped in the local yard.

Thanks for letting everyone know Karl as its parts/metal will save others!!

P.S.... As of last night all of the vehicles on the property are gone including the Brothers.....now the cleanup of the Pig Pen begins.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that story. I don't care a bit about the bus but that is a good story.
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats up with the windshield is it a vw piece and is it for sale?
Mango Juice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The windshield is a re-cut safety glass with a big non vw glass logo on it....not original.....the yard wants $50.00, you could get a new one cut without safety logo for same price at you local glass shop.
Spanish Flea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the lower front wondow sills, all the way across, lower half. Any good? and how much?

Spanish Flea
"Mr. Ford, i don't think what we are being offered here is worth a damn!" - Ernest Breech (On buying VW, March 1948)
Mango Juice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Just got back......crazy prices.....they quoted me $107 plus a core fee for a pop out window hole with its twisted up pop out hinge.....the crazy thing is if it is not in their book, they go by size on misc metal....I cannot figure it out really.

The transaxel and torsion bars exceeded $300.00 with core charges on everything.....and it even had a cracked nosecone and ground bell housing from a loose flywheel.... Shocked

*Spanish Flea* The lower windshield looks crusty, buy one of Gerson's funky green repair sections as you might blow through the rust on that windshield piece once you media blast it.

someone hacked the upper door hinge for the forward cargo door, they did a good job Rolling Eyes and even left the hacked other part of the hinge in the wrecked B Piller.

Oh and someone got a little excited and messed their pants Embarassed as there was fresh load of runny shit in the cargo area.......that was quite a nice find really Shocked

The old Microbus is looking....and uhhh smelling a bit rough!!!
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats nassy! maybe that was someones way of keeping the parts stash to themselves????
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273

Last edited by obus on Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mango Juice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was quite shocking

Misc Microbus left (Stay Out Of The Cargo Area ^^^^^): front beam and steering box.....nose is wasted, forward cargo door is wasted from the hacked hinge....rear cargo door (Not Rear Cargo Hatch) has a rusty bottom.....left and right rear corner has bondo.....decent roof (would hate to know what that would cost once it is cut and inspected) and that is it really.

Thanks again Karl! Very Happy
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mango Juice wrote:
Update: Just got back......crazy prices.....they quoted me $107 plus a core fee for a pop out window hole with its twisted up pop out hinge.....the crazy thing is if it is not in their book, they go by size on misc metal....I cannot figure it out really.

The transaxel and torsion bars exceeded $300.00 with core charges on everything.....and it even had a cracked nosecone and ground bell housing from a loose flywheel.... Shocked

Did you buy the transaxle and bars? Or leave them in disgust?

I like the place when they are 1/2 price.

Pick a Part does a 1/2 price weekend once a month.

Pick n Pull is once every 6 months or so when they feel like it.
VolksFire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mango Juice wrote:
Update: Just got back......crazy prices.....they quoted me $107 plus a core fee for a pop out window hole with its twisted up pop out hinge.....the crazy thing is if it is not in their book, they go by size on misc metal.....

My bad.... on the twisted popout hinges. When I was removing the windows, the screws were stripped and i had no choice but to bend the hinges to bust the screws, otherwise i wouldn't have been able to get the windows. Too bad the hinges were welded to the body. The germans should have just screwed them on.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mango Juice wrote:

I guess you are not a 'regular' there:)

When I first found the bus, in it was a brand new replacement WW rocker section for below the cargo doors: cost me $4.99 and a brand new drivers side floor replacement section: cost me $1.99.

I can see why you paid so much for the transaxle and torsion bars: you cut the frame off on each side!

Someone took the bay window right side cabinet. Not sure why. I had left what was left of a GM HEI distributor modified with a VW bug dist lower half in it.

Still left is the front parcel tray, it is laying under the vehicle to the east of the bus.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone wanted/needed parts off this bus, too late. I was at the yard at 9ish this morning and the bus and the row it was in has been replaced with a fresh stock of vans. It has gone to crusher heaven.......
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: