Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

European v. US specifications??!?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LauleaKai04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: European v. US specifications??!? Reply with quote

This weekend I watched a German movie called "Big Girls Don't Cry" and one of the characters had a thing, looked like the military used. But anyway, it had smaller, clear turn signals and had the standard beetle tail lights mounted on the vertical part of the back of the body. All the models I have seen have Super Bettle tail lights at the angeled part in the back and big ugly orange turn signals. My question is, is there a European and US model of the Thing?? Thanks!!
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

european spec is different, although there is also some variation from year to year. My Euro 181 (73) has bus style taillights, but amber front turn signals, and multi-piece headlights, rather than sealed beams. The transmissions also had different ratios. My car also doesn't have the intake muffs, instead it has louvers just like earlier 181s. I'm sure there are toher differences, but those are just off the top of my head.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
LauleaKai04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes, bus tail lights. I was doubting that they were standard beetle lights, I don't look at 68 and ups. Can you give me more information on the multi-piece beams?
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are essentially the same as the halogen conversion kits for sale now- trim ring, glass lens, reflector bowl, and bulb receptacle.

2%
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bljones> Aren't the intake covers only for the 74 Things without the gas heaters? Every 73 and back I have seen have gas heaters and no intake covers/muffs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're right, tim. My fingers were moving faster than my brain. My 74 parts car had muffs, but it also had low taillights. That was the thought that i was trying to get across... and completely failed.

2%
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know why those Super Beetle lights were installed on US-bound Things? Was it a height requirement or something?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: eruo vs US spec 181's Reply with quote

All the military units (option code M63) has gas heaters, even to the end of production in the 1980's. Hence they sport no muffs. They had 2 diffeent type of h-1 headlights, one was a multi piece unit and one was an all in one that even included the trim ring, but the bulb was replaceable.

The US DOT cars had to have the larger lights to meet the spec for reflector and brightness. The Euro car had the extra rear facing fog warning light mounted on the rear bumper. The euro 181 tail light is a 2 bulb affair, not a true usa type 2 part interchange, but they have the same outside dimensions.

The mil spec car options are detailed on my web site

http://hometown.aol.com/kfjc

or I can send you a email containg the part #'s and prices of the Mil spec stuff.

Ken
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimWVU
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: taillights Reply with quote

First of all they were not "superbeetle" taillights...all beetles std. and super had those same taillights 73 and later, i think the reason US things had them were because it was DOT regulations or something. I hate them...they are ugly...
rfoutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Ulgy Tail Lights Reply with quote

Several after market sites (including the thing shop) sale a flattened version that looks a whole lot better.

The ones at the thing shop are $70.00 for the pair, like to find them cheaper.

I always hated those type of lights too... Love the late 50's early 60's beatle lights. Late 60's started to get too big for me, then the 70's and WOW... Disco lights on the rear.....

RF
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubthingden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: 1971 German Thing Reply with quote

I have a 1971 German Military Thing, it has the bus tail lights and the gas heater
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: