Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The BFG's Are Back
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mad Max- I had to remove my Carat/Wolfsburg springs and put on '85 Westy springs to make 'em fit. They would def. rub with your Van mang.

vwjedi, your van looks exactly like mine, 1989 Wolfsburg GL. I planned on getting those BFG 27-8.5-14's Is there a difference between Carat and Wolfsburg springs? I just want to make sure that they will not fit my van. I really want to mount these tires. If they will rub, can I use any year Westy springs?
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I took these pics for a reason. Wink

Below you can se the "rake" from stock springs in the front of my '87 Vanagon GL , 1st year of the "Carat" simply dubbed the "Wolfsburg edition" Later to have the same 1.5" lower stance springs as the '88-'91 "carat". Easiest way to tell the difference is the one year only "big bumpers" that wrap around but do not go across the sides.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The back has the '85 Westy springs installed while the front has the stock lower "Carat" springs. The tires turned fine but rubbed the wheel wells when hitting mt driveway at an angle. It is do-able but tight.

See the difference:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hope this helps. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: