Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

terminology question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnotherChachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: terminology question Reply with quote

so what do you call it when you fix a problem and immediately another pops up. My new 83.5 Westie does this all the time. I just spent 2 weeks tinkering and waiting for parts, dealing with sticky valves, frozen lifters, destroyed valve adjusters to get a decent compression test. Finally got it squared away and got 140 - 160 on all 4. I tidied up and went for a ride. Within 2 miles the front right brake caliper seized. This kinda thing happens all the time with this vehicle!

I think the old girl is testing me, like "am i still charming ?" Will I keep throwing money and time at this little camper? So I suggest "Charm Check" as a term for this "a solution deserves a new problem" behavior.

See my other post today for my "CC du jour".

SMILING and big thanks to all for all the help.
1948 Singer Roadster
1948 Whizzer
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have two terms for your problem:
Phud's law of Universial Perversion, it makes Murphy look like an optimist.

Or

Working on aircraft
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitler's revenge Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call it another day of wrenching.

At least it's still running! Rolling Eyes

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciation Compound Syndrome.

Your calipers need "exercising". Take off both front wheels and lever the pistons back into the calipers, as if you were replacing pads. Pump up the brakes with the pedal and do it again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AnotherChachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good ones!

It's the FIXING that causes problems. Well I ain't fixing anything more then. I'm gonna start exercising things from now on. And I'm gonna start with my calipers in the morning. Thanks Tencent
1948 Singer Roadster
1948 Whizzer
camo westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thoght;
Way back in the late 70's, I supported my family operating an imported car service garage... working on cars noone else in the area would support, Saabs, BMWs, Mecedes, British stuff, etc.

I came up with the concept that some cars just would develope a bad attitude, call it possesed, or a Troll (Saab's not so fuunny marketing slogan"Made in Trollhaten by Trolls")
Basicly some cars are just BAD, or become just BAD.

exorcise the Van, Pour some libation on it, call it names, threaten to scrap it... Sorrry, but some when machinery developes a soul of some sort, good or bad this is needed, some cars want to help and be helped, some dont. Whipp thst van into shape.

I had a Saab 99 EMS, the most possesed car I ever encountered, it had excellent compression, better than spec... but ran like sh-t. turned out the lower rings were all broken(?) , fixed that, then the valve guides started failing, replaced 3 times... ie. 3 sets of guides, new valves, all the trick fixes... Every time my wife would drive it, the car quit, I would go to retrieve the car, and it was fine???? I could go on and on. I finally decided to sell the car, new owner had no problems, NONE, car was fine... I should have charged Book Price!!!

I have also had cars the opposite, that want to fix themselves, VW's seem to mostly be in that group. Current Westy wants to be a 'good dog', a few pats ie.- oil change, fire it up) and the old girl responds with a hearty 'Lets go camping". No Saab BS.

FYIW, Japanese cars seem to be soulless. neither good nor bad. (IMHO)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raggamuffin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Camo...

Best way to fix all of the little problems is to sell it. Months later you'll bump into the new owner while driving around town and they'll tell you how wonderful and trouble-free it's been.

Shocked
AnotherChachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Camo,
I had a haunted 99 ems too......you didn't buy yours from a guy in Maine did you? Silver with burgundy interior, excellent condition, gear shifter locked up on the new owner in less than an hour! I am incredibly tenacious and I think this bus will soon realize that it has to face a few more years of labor.

Cheers
1948 Singer Roadster
1948 Whizzer
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW's are the strangest thing. My 84 Westy takes care of me, basically. I'm just along for the ride. I have no idea how I made it this far. My 90 GLI is bent (the body) and just about everything on it needs to be replaced or adjusted, but its so much fun to drive, its like trying to keep a straight face when you're mad at your dog.

When I was a kid my dad had a fleet of catering trucks, late 70's-mid 80's Chevy 1/2 and 3/4 pickups with the big silver box on the back, as well as numerous other pickups and Suburbans. They're still among my favorites. Needless to say, they were always breaking. My dad's strategy was to take a nap, and usually they eventually started. I was actually thrilled because half of the time he would be yelling to me from under the hood while I got to turn the ignition and thump the gas pedal. I also had a system--while he would be playing the organ pedals and cranking the engine, I would yell things to encourage the truck to start, and had a tapping system on the dash or fender to rythmically help the engine fire. The funny thing was that the old man never asked me to stop with the tapping or yelling. It was like, "what the hell, maybe it works!"
mr_vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Appreciation Compound Syndrome.

Your calipers need "exercising". Take off both front wheels and lever the pistons back into the calipers, as if you were replacing pads. Pump up the brakes with the pedal and do it again.

Be advised that if you pump the pedal with the pads out you can pump the caliper pistons out of the calipers making a big mess on the floor. On the up side, if you need to replace the seals and dust boots this will make it easier to get things apart. I once learned this lessen in my early wrench turnng days. Dad was thrilled when my changing the brake pads 15min job became a caliper rebuild and brake bleed.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch. I had meant to just leave them in, but just in case....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: