Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

four lug conversion, should I keep it?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubthingden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: four lug conversion, should I keep it? Reply with quote

I recently purchased a 1971 German Military Thing, it has been converted to a four lug system with disc brakes. Should I keep the four lug or go back to the five lug set up? and how hard would it be to go back to the 5 lug?

This is my first Thing, I have owned VW's since 1987 (around 20 Beetles)
so I am new to the whole Thing!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Chris181Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the original 5 lug look. I plan on putting the SO-CAl five lug disc brakes on my Thing. The only reason I have'nt yet is because you must have 15 inch wheels to use that kit. I just spent good $$$ on new tires for my 14 inch wheels. Looks like I am going to wait till I wear these tires out.
To feel the thrill of desire"
Roger Waters, The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking
vdubthingden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the five lug look better but I have to sell my super beetle before I can buy anything else.

Yeah I would get full use outta those tires too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Advokat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the four lug discs and I am very happy with them. Yeah, I liked the wide five too, but the disc kits for them are far more expensive than the four lug (Ghia) set up we are using.

Check out www.thingsunlimited.net for a price breakdown.

later,
Rick
vdubthingden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided to keep the four lug, thanks for the imput.

Now on to the next task, can anyone email me a pic of what the engine compartment is suposed to look like, both top and bottom. I purchased this Thing without an engine and the compartment is bare I want to make sure I don't miss anything during my restoration.

[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: