Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

lowering a thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xburningempiresx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: lowering a thing Reply with quote

i know i know.. purist will be mad. i have a type adjustable beam that i plan on using. i was considering type one drop spindles aslo. i am goind to get 17" or 18" aftermarket rims. i also want to put disk brakes all teh way around...... am i going to butcher my thing? sort of but everything i want to do to it can easily be undone.

So my main question is what types of offsets do i use to fit under the fenders?

to add insult to injury i may but air shocks on it as well (there is a prefect reasonable explaintion). My drive sits at about a 35-45 degree angle and my normal height car almost scraps on the way up and down so a lowered one would plain just get stuck.

does anybody out there have any words of wisodm?

Thanks,
Steve
flamed74vwthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my thing is lowered i used front wheel drive offset works great in the front little skinny in the back but still looks good I have disk on all 4 and run 17" rims with lowpro tires. I think that 17" in front is about as big as you would want to go and still drive and turn easly 18 would fit.
and I would put 18 or 19 in the rear
and as for pureist they can bite me slam away
you can check out the car at www.lasvegasvwclub.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xburningempiresx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow 18" or 19" in the back? nice. i have seen you thing before in galleries. i used it as my desktop wallpaper for a little while to remind me to work on mine. did you use stock brakes or something else? do you happen to know the offset of the rims?

the pureist can look at it this way. "if i change my thing, their stock ones will be worth more" besides i dont have any good off roading places nearby, but a lot of rice rockets i would love to mess with Razz . does yours handle well? and is it fast? hehe

thanks fo the info,
Steve
flamed74vwthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what the offset mesures to but the wheels are 4/100 bolt
from discount tire
4 wheel disk brake set up ghia spindels
my car runs 16.5 in the 1/4 at 85
but I hope to get it into the 15's
id say it was fast for a thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: