Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Push rod tubes
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
abacab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 6:31 am    Post subject: Push rod tubes Reply with quote

I am trying to fix the dreaded oil leak on my type 4. I know the majority is coming from the push rod tubes on the drivers side. Does anyone know what the best tubes and gaskets are to buy that will help?? I have also read that permatex(gasket sealer) around the ends will help, any luck doing this???
Thanks!
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 10:24 am    Post subject: Push rod tubes Reply with quote

While that would work, no offense to LUCKY420...(more than one way to skin a snake)I would reccommend new o- rings, clean the areas on the heads and case with rags and laquer thinner and get you some "SILICONE GREASE" commonly used on brake parts and some electrical and othr applications, (ask for it at most quality autoparts stores) lube up the o-rings ect. with that stuff and it is impervious to the high heat....
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
abacab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Push rod tubes Reply with quote

what about these spring loaded pushrod tubes?
Are the seals just cheap or what? Why do things leak...oh, yeah its a vdub!!
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: Push rod tubes Reply with quote

Okay now you got me confused.... you said type 4 as in 411/412 or 72-later bus or 914 right? That is why I was saying use that bad ass grease on the o-ring seals...(it actually works very well on the beveled seals when you are building up a type1/2/3 version as well. I think the spring loaded style is only for the upright or type3 engines.... yes they suck and should only be used if you want to postpone pulling the heads and putting the stock tubes back in when one gets damaged or rusts a hole through it. The better seals (beveled ones) are also the red/redishbrown ones not the white or greyish ones....
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: