Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sigh....my coolant tank is leaking at the light switch plug
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Sigh....my coolant tank is leaking at the light switch plug Reply with quote

In the photo I highlighted in red where coolant collects in small quantities after running the van. Is this a simple gasket failure or more serious? I'm guessing I need to unscrew the sensor to really find out but I was wondering if I should replace the sensor and gasket given the age of the vehicle. The sensor seems to be working fine.

Thanks dudes...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a soft type gasket underneath it. That sensor detects low coolant, and will operate the red flashing light in your gauge cluster.

Have you tried just tightening it? Be carefule though, as it's plastic.

It's not that costly to replace the sensor. The bus depot, bus boys, go westy, van again, and even a VW dealership will have it.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucko wrote:
There is a soft type gasket underneath it. That sensor detects low coolant, and will operate the red flashing light in your gauge cluster.

Have you tried just tightening it? Be carefule though, as it's plastic.

It's not that costly to replace the sensor. The bus depot, bus boys, go westy, van again, and even a VW dealership will have it.

I'll realized I can just run a thin bead of marine sealant around the edge of the sensor after cleaning the area. That way I can just leave it alone and not risk damaging something (such as watching the gasket crumble into the tank !)until I can buy a new gasket/sensor and have it on standby JUST IN CASE.
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't damage a thing removing and replacing that sensor. Don't be afraid of it. A small amount of antifreeze/water mix may dribble out. Just make sure the overflow tank (to right of the one that has this sensor) is at or near the "MAX" mark.

If you plan to use a bit of silicone to seal it, remove the sensor, clean it out, put just a very small bead around the base of the sensor, and thread it in. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN, as both parts are plastic.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
tortuga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I made the mistake of overtightening that sensor once. The sensor shattered and sent small fragments of plastic sensor into the bottom of the tank. I had to siphon out the coolant and remove the tank in order to get the bits out.

This happened because I cleaned off the sensor and put it back in, only to find that my tank started to leak at that spot also. I went ahead and ordered a new sensor, and decided to try tightening it in order to stop the leak. The leak was causd by breaking the 22 year old seal the sensor was making. The o-ring was very flat compared to the one that came with the replacement.

I'd like to reinforce the not over-tightening idea . . .
CurtisS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coolant level sensor on my 90 westy split right at the top of the threads. I would recommend replacing it rather than messing around with it. It wasn't too much of a problem finding one. There are two different versions so make sure you get the right one.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those sensors are known to crack and leak. In fact coolant can wick up the wires and corrode them. The sensor is cheap. The tank is not too much either. Also, last year, a new blue cap was bad right out of the box. If your tank is a decade old, just put a new one in, right along with a new sensor. Lots of peace of mind.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank looks to be in good condition and the sensor works fine. The sensor leak seems to be at the gasket and or/edge of the sensor where it makes contact with the plastic tank and is a very small dribble at the moment. There is currently no coolant wicking up the wires and corroding the contacts. For now I'm going to seal the edge of the sensor with marine sealant and concentrate on more serious issues such as......the REST of the van. Rolling Eyes

I'll slowly put together a new tank, new sensor, gasket, and swap it all in when I do my 2.2 Subaru conversion......someday.......someday.....SOONISH ? Pray
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that sensor just takes an O-Ring.

Don't crank it down too tight you'll split the tank.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's just a fat o-ring. Tightening it will just force the o-ring out and make things worse. Smearing sealant on it without removal would be an utter waste of time. It shouldn't be that tight, just screw it out, take it down to the FLAPS and see if you can get an o-ring that fits. It's a fat one, probably 2.5mm section. If FLAPS doesn't pan out, go to the plumbing dept. at Home Despot, where all the valve rebuild kits are. They carry o-rings in many sizes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The failure mode of the sensor is that it cracks in the middle of the contacts. The newer sensors have ribs under that area to keep it from happening. No amount of sealing the edges will help that. It only takes a minute to replace that $6 part. You will spend more time sealing it than replacing it.

Either that or your system is over pressuring and leaking here. Tough to divine exactly what is going on.

I too am gathering pieces to do a Suby. But, in the mean time, the old engine has to be reliable. It runs just like it should and I intend to keep it that way until the swap begins.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freaky, replace that thing. It's so cheap.
And if you haven't replaced that high pressure cap right next to it for awhile, get a new one of those too. They're only about 7$, they quit working sometimes, and when they do you bust a hose. Very, very cheap insurance to replace it every few years.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking why the big "sigh" at the title of this thread over a .25 cent O-ring.

I wonder what kinda sighing he's gonna be doing when something catistrophic happens.--- Laughing

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
I was just thinking whay the big "sigh" at the title of this thread over a .25 cent O-ring.

I wonder what kinda sighing he's gonna be doing when something catistrophic happens.--- Laughing

Lol....a big "sigh" because the van's to-do-list is rather........................................long

This is just another thing to think (or not) about.... d'oh!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: