Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

shifter rotates all around...beetle 1970
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcon3001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: shifter rotates all around...beetle 1970 Reply with quote

Hi,

I went to tighten the top of my stock shifter cap and noticed that the whole rod just rotates. I was told by the bug shop that this shouldn't happen and it is because of a pin the sticks out the front of the rod at the bottom and keeps it from rotating. This pin must have been sheared of or something. The shifter works, although a little roughly.

Should I get a new bug pack or EMPI shifter to replace the rod, and would this solve the rotating shifter problem? And is it hard to put the new shifter in? Or is there another way to fix this?

I removed the two bolts holding the shifter cover down and saw a lotta grease and bits of shredded stuff around the ball and that area. Does this mean I need to replace that bushing too?

- thanks

- thanks
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my VW's gearshifts are stock ('71 and '70) and rotate freely. I am positive (1) I just went out and rotated it and (2) it's always bugged me (no pun) that wife doesn't give a hoot which direction the gearshift knob points, as I have the Wolfsburg castle gearshift knobs, and I like them aligned straight.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
SLO-N-LO-69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine spins in my 73 as well and my shift rod has no groove in the front (just replaced my bushings and saw it). I've never had a car earlier than '68 though so I thought it was normal.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometime after VW dropped the curved shift lever, they realized there wasn't any need to pin it in place any more, so they got rid of that too. I'd not be worried about it.

What did you mean by "shredded stuff"??? The bushing is a white plastic, usually stained yellow by time and grease, and it's a little ways in the tunnel back from where the shift lever socket is. If you can reach down in there with some pliers and lift up and down on shift rod, and it moves a ways, especially if you hear metal-on-metal noises, then the bushing is probably shot. It should only move a millimeter or two if the bushing is in good shape.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to try stretching the big spring that sits between the shifter plate and the tunnel a little to put more tension back in it. That stopped my shifter from rotating. I agree that it's not a problem but it sure bugged the heck out of me. Sounds like you may need a shifter bushing also.
Goranothos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is normal for a '70 shifter to rotate freely. There is no pin to hold it in place, it's just a ball in a cup. I don't know what year(s) had the pin. For this reason, I use the plain stock shift knob with no markings on it.

You probably do need to replace your shift rod bushing, however.
CarreraRS2.7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '74 will rotate freely as well.

Gigi: Saturn Yellow 1974 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

El Barto: Rosso 2017 Fiat 500 Abarth
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pin was dropped with the 1968 model year when the shifter was moved rearward and a straight lever was used. The pin was to keep the bent shift lever in the proper position.
julrich366
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like everyone, mine ('74) spins too. Take an afternoon (only takes 1-2 hours) and replace the bushing and check the coupler under the back seat as well. Will make a world of difference in your shifting!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: