Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tranny Oil Seal Removal
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Tranny Oil Seal Removal Reply with quote

Hey, guys.
I am replacing the oil seal, which is right behind the throwout bearing, around the main drive shaft, but I am having a heck of a time removing it.
I consulted with the Bentley and all it says is to "carefully pry out the damaged seal," Uh... easier said than done. It is not budging any.

Any ideas of how to pop this thing out would be greatly appreciated. I've already bent a couple screwdrivers on it as it is, but still no go.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a seal puller, you can get them at Sears or most Auto Parts stores, I got this one at a Checker. I usually pound the longer hook into the seal, then it'll lever out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice, glutamodo. I've never even seen a seal puller before... Off to the parts store.
ed stanley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Darby's method is to run 2 small sheet metal screws into the seal and yank it out with 2 vise grips. Then use a peashooter tailpipe with the baffle removed to push the new seal in, letting the beveled side of the tailpipe contact the seal.
xatex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to just have a seal puller around, they're only like $20, plus you can't always use sheet metal screws on the seals if you don't want metal shavings to get in whatever you're working on.
zao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone. After an hour of frustration I managed to get it loose. I used a cat's claw plus the seal puller to remove it.
Who ever installed it the first time used a sealant which pretty much welding the seal in the housing.

It was no fun getting the new seal to seat either >< I hope it's a LONG time before I replace another oil seal.

...Now on to the front tranny mount.
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 the puller is a pain in the ass to use on the mainshaft.

#2 the seal is normally tighter than hell and you risk gouging the hell out of everything using a variety of tools to get it out.

#3 the whole idea of the seal is so it seals, you wont get any metal shavings into anything as
A) there wont be any becayse you are not drilling a hole into the mainshaft seal you are inserting a sheet metal screw and
B) if anything at all got in there it would be trapped within the seal

The screw into the seal method will have the seal out in less than a minute.
stand by your van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a van and the Bentley manual shows a similar seal puller being used without the shaft in the way. It seemed very difficult to use a prying tool with the shaft in place. Without reading this, I carefully drilled a tiny hole in the seal and set a small screw in place; pried out easily. So ditto here for the screw tap method when the shaft is installed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: