Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear bumper brackets
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Rear bumper brackets Reply with quote

O.K., i have a request for everyone. I know that one or both of my rear bumper brackets are bent because the are not in the same positon, and the bumper rides so high that my deck lid cannot be closed, I was hoping that someone could either tell me the angles, as maybe the two bends are at 90 degrees? Or if someone could take a picture of one laying on it's side so I can get the angles right. Thanks, Andy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pull the bumper and see if the mounts are messed up from a hit before I go trying to bend the brackets. lay the bumper down on a level surface and see if it's straight or if the ends point up or down. If its straight, reinstall it.

If the mounts are tweaked then the quick fix is washers stacked until the bumper looks right. If the bumper ends point up or down then the brackets are bent. Easy fix is to step on the end thats pointing up or to pull up on an end pointing down to tweak the bracket a bit.

It's not a tough job to get it looking pretty good on the cheap.
SBS #00
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same position - scored a nice rear bumper with tweaked brackets at a swap meet, and am still trying to get it figured out. I think what I will end up doing is beat them into as close a shape as possible, then putting both brackets on the bumper, attaching one to the body, then trying to wiggle everything into position...the mounts I have aren't bad enough to justify buying new ones...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timbo777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem, on a 66 delux, what is the clearance between the bumper and the bottom of the deck lid? I have to stand on the bumber to get enough clearance for the lid to open, so I have now taken the bumper off. Also, my bumber has two holes drilled through it, why would someone have done that?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The holes are so someone who is really cheap can put a beetle muffler and tailpipes on. The pee shooters would stick out those holes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else found that the WW rear bumper brackets cause the rear bumper tips to point downward way too much.

A few years ago I used a pair to mount the bumper on my '65 panel. I ended up using a bottle jack to lift the tips up to the body to bolt them in place (with splash pans). I chalked it up to a somewhat tweaked rear bumper.

Recently I test fit a set of WW rear bumper brackets using a nice straight rear slash tip bumper blade on my '61. They were way off. I can even see how off they are with the straight bumper sitting on the ground, the mount brackets point up at way too much of an angle. I can get a pix if need be.

Should I just try to find some straight OG brackets? or does someone else make a better repro one?

suppose I should just call splitpile...

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had some really messed up brackets that i straightened up using a really straight on for a pattern. used the torch and a monkey wrench to correct the twist and a hammer/anvil to starighten them out a bit. when installed they were real close. i ended up having to bend them apart a bit, and jump on the bumper once installed to bring it down some. i would imagine the repo brackets would bend even easier.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper brackets Reply with quote

I have one NOS rear bumper mount and one original that was on my bus.

The other original to my bus is all bent up and has been welded back together from a previous hit. It was poorly fixed and is just not right.

I was getting ready to media blast them and I noticed the NOS is slightly longer than the original one by 1/4". NOS one is the gray one, the black one the original.

Am I correct to assume that since the holes to mount the brackets are slotted, it will be ok that one is slightly longer by 1/4"? I can just mount the longer one 1/4" back so the brackets are even?

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper brackets Reply with quote

Your black bracket has had a little bit of a parking lot bender- indicated by the slight flaring at the rearmost bend. The silver one is quite straight- and as a result, does not sit flat on the bottom of the screen- lower left. Clamp both of these brackets side by side to a bench and you'll quickly see they are not parallel on the middle transition or the final straight section at the bumper bracket- then measure and compare the widths of the flared bends. Sometimes you can use a vise and mash those flares a little closer and undo the accordion-shaped damage to the bracket. If you can straighten the black bracket it will come closer to the silver as a match.

Also, the silver one is not NOS- they did not come from the factory with washer scratches. Wink

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper brackets Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Also, the silver one is not NOS- they did not come from the factory with washer scratches. Wink

Thank you for the tip about straightening it out, I'll try that now.

Just an FYI, it is a NOS bracket. I bought it from a reputable source on here who has sold thousands of parts to many customers. I know for a fact he would not try to pull the wool over my eyes; he's an honest, well respected fella.

You can still even see a blob of weld in one of the holes where a bolt has never even been put through the hole with factory gray on it. What you thought was washer marks is just surface rust from age.

swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper brackets Reply with quote

Super late to this thread, but does anyone know if the "V" notches in the ends are to indicate L or R or are they related to production. Every bracket I've see has them, but I never noticed if there is a left or right version of these. Thx.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper brackets Reply with quote

swharris wrote:
Super late to this thread, but does anyone know if the "V" notches in the ends are to indicate L or R or are they related to production. Every bracket I've see has them, but I never noticed if there is a left or right version of these. Thx.
The 40hp versions have a bracket for the muffler hanger on the left bumper bracket.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper brackets Reply with quote

Weird, I don't remember seeing those Vs before but I may have forgotten.

I have this old pic of rear bumper brackets with the hanger and I don't see the V on them

I don't see it in this photo of my restored original '64 Bus rear bumper either

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper brackets Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Weird, I don't remember seeing those Vs before but I may have forgotten.

I have this old pic of rear bumper brackets with the hanger and I don't see the V on them

I don't see it in this photo of my restored original '64 Bus rear bumper either

I think it is there if you look really closely

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper brackets Reply with quote

You are correct, I looked at some of my old detailed and larger photos and it's on that one bracket but not the other one.

Weird... I would be surprised if anything was replaced on that Bus as it was low mileage but it's always possible.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper brackets Reply with quote

Two sets of original '65 brackets do not have it. Three sets of original '67 brackets all have it and it's in the same place left or right.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rear bumper brackets Reply with quote

Andy_A wrote:
O.K., i have a request for everyone. I know that one or both of my rear bumper brackets are bent because the are not in the same positon, and the bumper rides so high that my deck lid cannot be closed,

I had the same problem, the fix was easy. I used a piece of 2" pipe and a chain wrapped around the bracket just ahead of the bumper. The pipe was parallel with the bracket with the tip just ahead of the bracket on the framerail. Mild pressure downward on the pipe adjusted the bracket easily. This will be done easier on the bus than removing the bracket and trying to bend it off the bus. Good luck.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: