Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for home made awning
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ogarcia_02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Looking for home made awning Reply with quote

A while ago there was a post of someone making their own awning out of pvc tubes, I think? They had pictures of the process and where and how they attached it. I've looked but cant seem to find it. Maybe lost along other files a while ago. Anyways if someone could find it or if they saved it I would appreciate if they could post the pics.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Tomswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.type2.com/library/exterior/canopy.htm

Here ya go.
jmfoust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://home.earthlink.net/~johndolsen/id9.html

Try this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ogarcia_02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this one in the archieves but its not the one I saw before. The one I'm thinking about had the pvc pipes attached to the body under the sliding door. Well thanks anyways. Waaa
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
ogarcia_02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmfoust wrote:
http://home.earthlink.net/~johndolsen/id9.html

Try this.

Yeah this is the one I was looking for but hadn't checked the samba over the weekend and I must've posted right after you. Thanks
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out this awning for $99. looks right up vanagon alley:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/...;noImage=0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stumpy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: awning Reply with quote

I am in the finishing stages of completing work on the, " Awning for the Frugal Westy Owner". I need about another month to finish it. Its simply a 8' piece of PVC pipe into which I routed a 1/4" slot ( For sliding the awning thru) I had 4 hangers fabricated which hold the pipe, and the hanger will be mounted in the gutter. The awning can be as simple as a $4.00 tarp or someyhing more expensive. ( I will start with the cheapo ) Then all you need are a pair of poles and some tiedown ropes. Stumpy
singlewc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: awning Reply with quote

stumpy wrote:
I am in the finishing stages of completing work on the, " Awning for the Frugal Westy Owner". I need about another month to finish it. Its simply a 8' piece of PVC pipe into which I routed a 1/4" slot ( For sliding the awning thru) I had 4 hangers fabricated which hold the pipe, and the hanger will be mounted in the gutter. The awning can be as simple as a $4.00 tarp or someyhing more expensive. ( I will start with the cheapo ) Then all you need are a pair of poles and some tiedown ropes. Stumpy

Would you give us a peek at the future, and explain how you connect it to the rain gutter? I have tried several things, and as you say, any old tarp will do, and tent poles with stringers and stakes will get it done, but I haven't found a decent 'frugal' method to connect to the van.

I did come across someone who attaches a larger tarp, to the driver's side of the van and pulls it across. That seems a better idea, but for the added size and weight.......

Thanks,

John
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, this Bus Depot awning probably doesn't cost much more than the materials to build one. It looks pretty good and I'm probably going to get one...
http://busdepot.com/details/awning.jsp

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all over the bus depot awning, never seen it before!
basil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: bus depot awning Reply with quote

The EZ Awning from Bus Depot is fabulous. I have one of the first ones ever sold in the US and have loved it from day one. It takes 5 minutes to set up and packs really small when not in use. It attaches to the gutter with three srew clamps. I made brackets that go beneath the tires, but you can now buy the same thing. It has held up fine in some pretty heavy wind and rain. While it looks like it would be a big sail in the wind, the design actually created downforce that helps keep it in place.

Basil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: bus depot awning Reply with quote

basil wrote:
The EZ Awning from Bus Depot is fabulous. I have one of the first ones ever sold in the US and have loved it from day one. It takes 5 minutes to set up and packs really small when not in use. It attaches to the gutter with three srew clamps. I made brackets that go beneath the tires, but you can now buy the same thing. It has held up fine in some pretty heavy wind and rain. While it looks like it would be a big sail in the wind, the design actually created downforce that helps keep it in place.

Basil

How does it attach to your van? Can it be permanently mounted?

Lundy
basil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It attaches to the rain gutter with screw clamps. It's not designed for permanant mounting. Instead, it's portable. I have actually used it on the non door side of the van on a couple of occasions due to wind factors for tailgating.
stumpy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: awning Reply with quote

I used a 3/4" angle iron, unto which I welded a 3/16"X 3" piece of steel which is shaped to the conture of the PVC pipe. The hanger is mounted to the gutter with 2 small screws. I used 4 hangers for the 8' piece of pipe. If I ever learn to post pics, I will get them on the forum. The whole works cost me about $40.00. I sewed a 5/8" nylon rope onto the tarp, and I slide the rope thru the slot in the PVC. Stumpy
Thin Metal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Home Made awning Reply with quote

Wasn't there an optional factory side tent type awning made for the Vanagons at some certain years?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinbassplayer wrote:
I'm all over the bus depot awning, never seen it before!

I also have the EZ Awning. For the price, it can't be beat. It's a bit clumsy to set up until you get the hang of it. There are lots of poles and stuff, so it's best set up, in my opinion, if you're going to stay where you are for a day or two.

It's sturdy and stands up to the wind very well.

I'd rather have a Shady Boy, but for the price, the EZ Awning is great.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAVEURO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the thing I like about the Bus Depot awning is that the top is pointed lessening the chance of rain collecting and collapsing. Shade is good but rain can suck.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAVEURO wrote:
One of the thing I like about the Bus Depot awning is that the top is pointed lessening the chance of rain collecting and collapsing. Shade is good but rain can suck.

That's true--also, mine has been through a couple of ugly (albeit short) hailstorms up in the mountains, and I had no rips, tears, sags, nothing.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
craig wright
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another alternative. Good if you're in the U.K. and don't want to import.

http://www.the-bus-shelter.com/

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: