Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I love it when things turn out to be easy...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: I love it when things turn out to be easy... Reply with quote

In my ongoing trials to get my van to pass smog, i've purchased a cat converter (coming tomorrow) and all the ancillary gaskets, nuts, etc. I thought i'd do a little disassembly tonight so i could get a jump on things and hopefully get smogged before the weekend. I also decided to throw some new triple prong plugs in there, too. Unfortunately, it was almost 10:00 p.m. before i started (damn you American Idol), and i only have driveway parking.

45 minutes, in the dark with only a desk lamp to guide my way. All the exhaust nuts spun off by hand (glad i bought the copper ones!) and everything just dropped right out. It was great, and even my hands cleaned up nicely afterwards. Added bonus is that i see where the cat has been rubbing on the S&S header, likely causing that squeak i've been hearing.

Hopefully the new plugs and cat, along with a little extra love to get the mixture closer will get me smogged for the little santa cruz get together this weekend.

Keeping the fingers crossed!
-Damon
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck dude....
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
bigdood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

santa cruz get together? is there a vw event out there this wknd?

"We should all be having more fun. A lot more of the time. " -Randy in Maine
jmfoust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a bad spot on the AFM. I had to readjust the sweaper arm due to a worn area on the board. YMMV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdood wrote:
santa cruz get together? is there a vw event out there this wknd?

Not really... There is just a guy from the UK who is renting a vanagon from a place in Redwood City, and is driving down to San Diego for his honeymoon. So a couple of us are meeting him at New Brighton Saturday/Sunday to camp and hang out. At least one guy is showing up tomorrow. I think there are enough spots reserved if you want to show up, too. It'll be between $15 and $20 for the spot, AFAIK.

-Damon
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmfoust wrote:
Sounds like a bad spot on the AFM. I had to readjust the sweaper arm due to a worn area on the board. YMMV.

Possibly, but i've checked the track with an ohm meter before and things seem OK. The real issue is that i'm a dreaded PO, and have installed a non-stock motor (2275 wbx) and have yet to get the FI completely fine tuned to work with it. The new cat is just to make things easier, but i'm going to spend a little quality time with the engine tonight to get things as best as i can.

-Damon
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time it was a new CAT that got mine to pass...
This time around I was a little nervous until a friend suggested I take it to Seth Hatfield at Mastercraft Motors here in SB for a pre-smog check
If he determines it should pass without any problem he'll run it across the street (literally) and get it smogged for you
Obviously if it needs tweaking he'll do whatever needs to be done
I was good to go and he billed me for the smog check
here's the best part.....I never stepped inside the smog station
way cool!
I mention this as a suggestion in case you have a favorite local mechanic who might help you out
unless of course you have your own equipment
Best of Luck!
I neglected to mention that I did a minor tune up, oil change and added a can of Seafoam a week prior
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: