Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My '66 Barn Find
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: My '66 Barn Find Reply with quote

I might as well tell you all the back story on it first. I used to go to another church a few years back, and I had always passed a car I thought was a VW Beetle in a shed on the way to church. I didn't know for sure, though, because it was covered up with a tarp every time I saw it, and the gate to the house was always shut. Well, one day my friend and I were driving by the house, and we saw the gate was open and a car was in the driveway, so we stopped to ask about the car. It ended up being a '66 Beetle, and the reason no one was ever at home was because the owner lived in GA and only stayed at the house when he was here to visit his daughter We talked to the owner, and he told us that he had bought it new for his nephew(although I can't remember exactly, so it may have been his son) as his first car. He drove it for a little while, but didn't like it, so they gave it back to his uncle and got another car. Anyway, the uncle basically parked it in the shed for most of the time after that. The best thing about it was that there was only about 28,000 miles on the odometer, and everything on the car was original, except the exterior had been painted a different color by the nephew. It didn't run, but the owner had kept the engine freed up over the years. He told me to come back the next morning and we could talk about how much he wanted to sell it for and he would let me take a closer look at it then. So the next day I met him, and he had a list of similar cars from ebay to show me, and said he thought $2500 would be a fair price. He gave me his GA number and told me to call him if I decided to buy it. I couldn't afford to get it then, so I never called him back about it.

Well, last Monday, he left a message on our answering machine and asked me to call him back if I was interested in buying a VW. I called him back and told him that I was interested, but probably couldn't afford it right now, but I was in a club and could probably help him sell it. We decided to meet on Friday morning and talk about it then. When I got there on Friday, I looked at the car again, and he asked me if I was interested. I told him that I would love to have it, and that all I had was $---- that I could spend right now, and that amount wasn't even enough to make a fair offer on it. He told me that he would sell it to me for $----, but that price was only for me and he wanted me to keep it between us so no one who had offered more would get mad about it. Anyway, I told him I would see what I could do and let him know if I was going to get it soon. He said that he needed to know by Sunday because if I didn't get it he had to go ahead and try to sell it to someone else before he went back to GA. I told me dad about it when I got home, and he lent me the other half of the money I needed so I could buy it, and so I did...

Here are some pics of it in my backyard...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I plan to keep everything stock, including the 6v system. Although, a set of BRM's would look good on it, and I can just put the stock rims in storage so I can swap them back when I want to...

In the next couple weeks I am going to get the engine running again and get some new brakes put on it (Can you believe that it still has a little bit left after sitting since 1983?). Later on when I have the money, I am going to get it back down to the OG paint, and if it is too far gone to buff back out I am going to have it painted the og color again so the inside will match the outside. For now though I am just going to leave the paint job on it alone...

Daniel

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Transmissions For Dummies
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your find! It shouldnt take much to get it running again and the brake system you can do yourself and save a LOT of money. It's also very rewarding to be able to say "I did it myself". Get yourself a Bentley repair manual and you'll be well on your way.

What was the original color? It looks like Sea Sand on the inside. BTW, when you eventually have it repainted, hopefully, you will go back to the proper body-colored fender bead. Wolfsburg West reproduces Panama Beige which would be close enough. Also, was it bumped in the rear? I'm wondering why it has a '67 rear bumper on it Think

Good luck with it!

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Applause Get the BBB and you'll be in business.
http://www2.cip1.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D9650

And this one is always good to have:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D9651
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
it bumped in the rear? I'm wondering why it has a '67 rear bumper on it Think

Good luck with it!

maybe it was hit- look at where the 1300 emblem is sitting on the rear hood all crooked.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill may wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
it bumped in the rear? I'm wondering why it has a '67 rear bumper on it Think

Good luck with it!

maybe it was hit- look at where the 1300 emblem is sitting on the rear hood all crooked.

I didn't know that was a '67 rear bumper on it...But then again most of what I know is about sandrails and busses, so I still have some learning to do about T1's.

Bill, you are probably right about it being hit in the rear. I was thinking that yesterday when I was looking at the paint...I originally thought that all of the OG paint had been painted over, but I have noticed some gray primer under the yellow on the decklid, and there is also some black paint under the yellow on the rear apron, which you can see in the pics I posted. If the rear bumper has been switched for a '67, then that is the most likely explanation for it being repainted. However, everything looks like it was done correctly, and I got a great deal on it, so I won't complain...

Daniel

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
youngster1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice find Exclamation I like your idea with the BRM wheels, as much as I love the '66 I never cared for the look of the stock wheels. I'm putting new ones on myself, and keeping the old ones in storage as well, just in case Wink
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my thoughts. The rear lid & rear apron have probably been replaced along with the bumper and after the accident damage was repaired the guy had the car painted a different color. Still a nice car and would be a great project to turn it back 100% stock / original.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would keep that jewel stock as could be if it were mine.
Plus the seller would like to see it that way also.
Here is the manual you want
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=413311

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a real nice original bug you got there. One more vote for keeping it stock. It sounds like you got it for a great price too.
Have fun bringing it back to life after 24 years! There are lots of threads here about what to do to bring a bug back to life after it sat for many years.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for the most part I am going to leave it stock, and after I get it running again (and stopping) I am going to replace all the window seals and put some POR-15 on the bottom of the pan to stop the surface rust on it from getting any worse. I plan to leave as much of the car possible stock, since it is an almost all OG car, but I might make one or two changes to it that could be easily reversed, such as a different set of rims and maybe lowing it just a little bit. I just couldn't bring my self to change anything major on such an original car, like converting it to 12v or putting a cd player in it, etc...

I plan to mostly use this as a show car, anyway...I have a '78 Westy project that will probably become my DD whenever it is done, so this car is going to stay parked at home most of the time...

Daniel

Oh yeah, what do you guys recommend that I put on the vinyl upholstery to get it soft and pliable again so it doesn't crack? I bought some Meguiar's leather cleaner/protectant to try, but I don't know how it is going to work on the vinyl...

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

save the aircooled
Samba Lamba

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet find Very Happy. Love the idea of BRM's with original paint. If you drop the front down just a little bit,it will look a whole lot better!!.(not that it already doesn't) Cool
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking car. Glad to see that you don't have plans to mess with it.
Cool color, and for the most part good advice so far as well.

Once you have a plan in place, it would be beneficial to you to bounce it off a few folks here so that you're proceeding in a logical order. With a car that original, I would hesitate to take a restoration too far.

Good luck!
estofer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my 66 with OG paint and BRM's. I found this in topeka KS (California transplant), rust free. I recovered the seats, new carpet and it now has a 1915cc. I like the worn look of the paint, it has primer showing through on the roof and hood.

Oh yeah, did it mention I paid $1,700 for this. The guy was asking $2,000 and I offered $1,700 and he took it with out blinking. I think I could of gotten it cheaper.

estofer

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont cut the dash for the stereo.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some new pics...

Here it is in the shed, and being loaded onto the trailer...

And these are some I took when I got it home...

And here is on of the only thing I've added to it so far...

I also took the trim rings off my wheels today, since I am missing one and they are all pretty rusty. I'm not sure yet if I am going to replace them or not...IMO it looks better without them, although I would like to have them in case I want to replace them one day...

Daniel

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Morganwerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! What a find!

Good luck with it, and keep posting photos.

It's always good to see another sea sand, even if it's only the inside.
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to redo the interior please let me know first.
I will pay a good sum of money for the material off of your front seat...
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

House wrote:
If you decide to redo the interior please let me know first.
I will pay a good sum of money for the material off of your front seat...

Sorry, but I not going to redo anything in the interior...I am going leave everything in the car OG that I possibly can...But if I come across some more OG material like mine I will let you know...

Morgan, one day I am going to strip the yellow paint off and get it back to OG and either respray the parts of the exterior that need it, or if the paint is too far gone I am going to repaint it the Sea Sand color...

Nice car, BTW...

Daniel

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, keep me in mind. I am serious if you change your mind too and decide to put some nicer seat covers in it (like West Coast Classics).
Here is a pic of my all original Sea Sand car...

House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, with your car only having 28k on it it must have the VW stamped muffler on it still...?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: