Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Backfiring & popping through exhaust
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bay Window Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Backfiring & popping through exhaust Reply with quote

Hey guys. Just recently got my '73 running, and I'm having issues with it backfiring everytime I let off the gas or shift. Also, while it sits and idles, I hear low toned popping noises in the exhaust. The engine starts, runs and idles fine aside from these issues. It is not fuel injected, as the PO switched it to a single carb. Exhaust is a header/collector with a single bugpack muffler. I thought I might have an exhaust leak because it sounds like it when running, but I replaced the gasket between the header and muffler (which was nearly gone) but the issue didn't change. I don't have super deep pockets, so converting back to fuel injection and buying a stock muffler aren't really options for me at this point.

Lastly, is the 1.7l motor typically a loud sounding engine? When its running, it just sounds loud. I know how dumb that sounds, but this is my first dealings with this motor.

Any help is appreciated.

Member: WTKHABG

Original Air Cooler Member
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 73 bus did not come with FI, it came with dual solex carbs from the factory, and looked sort of like this.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When properly tuned, that 1700 cc engine should sound like a "turbo sewing machine" all the way up to 5600 RPMs when the rev limiter kicks in.

You need to adjust your valves, make sure you have no vacuum leaks, and make sure your timing is correct for the distributor that you are running.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
renobdarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. Make sure your timing's spot on. If you still have off-throttle backfiring, you likely have an exhaust leak.

BTW Randy... got my bus runnig right again. Wasn't the carbs after all... just needed a new fuel pump!
BanDinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bus backfires also when Im off throttle, usually when I let off in third of fourth. I checked my timing and it was off 12 deg.
DaKine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem last year with my bus...I'm running dual dellortos though. When my bus was idling it would 'pop' and spit like a popcorn popper. I thought it was a exhaust leak too. I replaced everything down to the copper gaskets on the heads. After I did all that and it still was not fixed, I found that old gas had settled in the bottom of my carbs during winter storage and they were full of muck and scale. I rebuilt the carbs and glass beaded them and it ran like a champ. Rebuilding those carbs was a pretty cheap fix too. Good luck.
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaKine wrote:
...Rebuilding those carbs was a pretty cheap fix too...

This probably fixed the root cause, which was a lean mixture. When the mixture is too lean, perhaps aggravated by timing issues, some of the charges in the cylinders don't fire, and the unburned air and gas flow into the exhaust, where it eventually goes off with a bang. First thing to check for is vacuum leaks, as Randy mentioned, then timing, then some carburetor tuning.

The backfire iteslf is more annoying than harmful, but the lean running that might be causing it is definitely bad for your air cooled engine.
Paslode235
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exhaust are your running?? If you are running an aftermarket super flow exhaust you will get poping do to there is no back pressure. If you have a stock muffler you won't get any backfiring unless there is something else wrong. I had that problem when I had an aftermarket exhaust. Get ride of it, my aftermaket exhaust fell apart after one summer and less than 5000 miles. Junk if you ask me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bay Window Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I've been away for the weekend. It is an aftermarket exhaust, but has held up for the PO since '96. Anyway fouled plugs could cause my problems? I was concerned about bad gas too, since the bus has set since '02.

Member: WTKHABG

Original Air Cooler Member
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: